The San Fransisco Giants Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:56 pm
Hennessey did a solid effort in closing the 9th. I think it's time to wave Benitez's white flag and try out other relievers as closer. I've had enough of him since last season.

JayPat wrote:Wow, Benitez. Clutch clutch clutch. Glad the A's don't have someone like him.

Yeah. Just too bad Huston Street is on the DL.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:10 am
That was the first decent job I've seen Tascher AND Hennesey do ALL YEAR. Neither of them are the answer for the Giant's closer.

Try Steve Kline or Brian Wilson. Hell, maybe even Vinnie Chulk.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Role Player
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:48 pm
HE HITS IT HIGH... HE HITS IT DEEP... AND ITS OUTTA HERE! BENITEZ IS GONE!!!!!! Thank God, Probly woulda been killed if he ever showed up back in Frisco.

We did get **** back for him though but what do you expect? Yeah the guy has a below 3 ERA but look at his Opp. BA, and WHIP. Both are pretty bad.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:06 pm
Dubs4life wrote:HE HITS IT HIGH... HE HITS IT DEEP... AND ITS OUTTA HERE! BENITEZ IS GONE!!!!!! Thank God, Probly woulda been killed if he ever showed up back in Frisco.

We did get **** back for him though but what do you expect? Yeah the guy has a below 3 ERA but look at his Opp. BA, and WHIP. Both are pretty bad.

Thank you God. It's about damn time. I'm not as mad that the Giants lost now that he's gone. This is like trading Dunleavy away. All the bad memories finally gone. The thing is... what does this Randy Messenger fella got? And gentlemen, it's Spring Training all over again. The closer spot is now open.

Also, mark July 27-29 on your calenders! We may see Benitez close out for the Marlins. Hopefully we're losing so we can see him blow a game but actually smile about it.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:28 pm
THANK YOU GOD!!! :D :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:48 pm
Wow.

Its like a giant tub was filling up with all of the Giants' bad luck (in the Benitez era) and just completely landed on the Phillies...

Freddie Lewis' first two home-runs are a hit-for-the-cycle and a grand slam???
Eliezar Alfonzo strikes out and STILL makes it to base??
Matt Morris goes 3-4, including a double, AND only gives up one hit?
Peter Happy & Ray Ray combine for SIX ribbies?
A 13-0 win!!?!
Steve Kline didn't give up ONE run in THREE innings?!?! :shock:

:D The Armando Benitez Era is seriously over. Long live the Giants!
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:40 am
It's like ultraviolet rays hit the Giants and gave them some type of super strength. Obviously we're still waiting on Bonds, but today's outing was superb. Morris just embarrassed the Phillies and the Giants offense just showed up Howard and co. I have to wonder, how much did that trade impact the team like the Warriors trade? Is this the turning point? The dawn of a new era has begun! :D

Can't wait 'til Benitez comes back to Frisco. The crowd is going to give him a rude awakening. Like I said, the Marlins are up, Benitez comes in for the save but blows it. Florida Marlin fans, sorry, but get ready to feel the agony that we had for three seasons.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:16 am
The Marlins fans probably hate him, too.

Did you hear the response that guy got from the Mets fans when we brought him in to close? He got the LOUDEST cheers of the night because they KNEW he was gonna blow a 1-run lead! And he fuckin DID!

The guy's notorious. Every team that's ever had him knows he's garbage. I'm sure it'll be no different in Florida. Tie his shoes for him, Dontrelle!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:45 pm
:shock: Kevin Correa must die.

There's another one of those prospects, like Taschner and Hennesey, whose never impressed me. The kids, Freddie Lewis and Kevin Fransend, do all they can to bring us back (in the fuckin 9TH!!!), only to have Correa **** it all up. WHY ISN'T SANCHEZ BEING BROUGHT UP TO CLOSE!?!

If Correa or Hennesey end up filling the closer spot, we're just as fucked as we were with Benitez. Seriously.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:50 pm
Just love that pen. Benitez leaves but his virus had already spread even worse.

And Sanchez is in Fresno. They sent him down to make room for Ortiz.

Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:11 pm
Well maybe the guy we got for Benitez is better than his opp. average and WHIP would suggest, he does have a sub 3 era...

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:02 pm
agreed, messenger probably is not that bad, but just getting rid of benitez and his attitude is a big plus. dont underestimate chemistry in baseball! but theres no denying, our bullpen is in shambles.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:06 pm
FRANDSEN MY FELLOW BELLARMINE G!!!!

coming through...

anyway. as all of you have probably said, we need a bat.

i would like either teixeira or dye...

thas just me..
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:43 am
xbaywarrior wrote:And Sanchez is in Fresno. They sent him down to make room for Ortiz.

That's my problem. Send down Hennesey, Kline, Taschner, Correa, ANYONE... but Sanchez. He's one of the few good arms we have in the pen.

I'm also curious, but not really excited, about Messenger. On one hand, he's been in the league since 1999 and I've never seen him do anything significant... but, on the other hand, he's got a decent ERA.

I always think Mike Krukow is the best judge of talent... and he said "The Giant's like his arm", not "I like his arm". That seems problematic, to me. But, hell, he can't be any worse than Armando Benitez or Doug Henry were. :banghead:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:10 pm
Wow, dude.

That's fuckin it. Kevin Correa is officially trash. I totally called it, too. The whole 10th and 11th inning, I knew that was coming. Correa's arm dries up after one inning's worth. He's a terrible pitcher. I don't know WHY Bochy's trying to give him a set-up man role. Correa is one of the most unclutch people in the entire bullpen. Trade him, send him down, or bury him on the bench... but don't send him out there when the game's on the line anymore.

Jeez, Bochy... first Benitez, now Correa... you have GREAT taste in closers, dude... :roll:
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board