The San Francisco Giants Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Franchise Player
» Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:07 pm
Euguenio Velez... :banghead:

Okay, I'll give you the first one. You were in the warning track and that really is a tough one to catch. But the second one... :banghead:

Site Admin
» Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:35 am
xbay wrote:Euguenio Velez... :banghead:

Okay, I'll give you the first one. You were in the warning track and that really is a tough one to catch. But the second one... :banghead:
Dumb ass CSN or Suddenlink (cable provider) listed the game at 7 so I missed it. Looked like a hell of a game, I was pretty pissed about Velez's poor D from what I from the highlights.

Franchise Player
» Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:38 am
JREED23 wrote:
xbay wrote:Euguenio Velez... :banghead:

Dumb ass CSN or Suddenlink (cable provider) listed the game at 7 so I missed it. Looked like a hell of a game, I was pretty pissed about Velez's poor D from what I from the highlights.

They pulled Tim with two more outs to go in the 9th. I know he threw 106 pitches, but if you kept him in that far, you minus well stay with him. And then... Brian Wilson f-ed up.

Rookie
» Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:38 pm
The fan running on the field really messed up the Rockies pitchers games. He had 2 outs, and then let the Giatns take the lead when the game resumed.
Lets hope Zito can hold up.... so far so good.

» Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:21 pm
totalljames52 wrote:The fan running on the field really messed up the Rockies pitchers games. He had 2 outs, and then let the Giatns take the lead when the game resumed.
Lets hope Zito can hold up.... so far so good.

yeah, Cook was getting rocked afterwards.

» Sat May 01, 2010 11:40 am
Does anyone else think it would be a good gamble to trade Cain for a premier hitter. I can see Milwaukee going for Cain for Fielder, who is on the trading block and looking for a new contract. I think Sanchez will continue to be great and our rotation will be solid for the next few years with or without cain. This team needs 2 bats and Fielder would provide one of them. IMO that would be worth it.

Starting Lineup
» Sat May 01, 2010 12:44 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Does anyone else think it would be a good gamble to trade Cain for a premier hitter. I can see Milwaukee going for Cain for Fielder, who is on the trading block and looking for a new contract. I think Sanchez will continue to be great and our rotation will be solid for the next few years with or without cain. This team needs 2 bats and Fielder would provide one of them. IMO that would be worth it.
If it was possible i would consider it... if they wanted sanchez or cain i would entertain the thought. Even if cain is 0-1 with a 3> era... it doesnt mean i wont keep him. The giants are just not providing any run support when he starts. This team badly needs a bat. Imagine adding fielder and letting him bat clean up behind sandoval. Two players of similar body types hacking balls all over the park.

Starting Lineup
» Sat May 01, 2010 12:48 pm
also think about all our losses this year... none have really been by a big margin... we lost so many games by less than 2 runs. With our pitching rotation, if we just could score that one more run a game we would be in much better shape for the rest of the year

All Star
» Sun May 02, 2010 1:44 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Does anyone else think it would be a good gamble to trade Cain for a premier hitter. I can see Milwaukee going for Cain for Fielder, who is on the trading block and looking for a new contract. I think Sanchez will continue to be great and our rotation will be solid for the next few years with or without cain. This team needs 2 bats and Fielder would provide one of them. IMO that would be worth it.

That was my guess/plan a year ago but since moving back to the Bay Area I've realized how much Cain means to this organization. Plus, Fielder is a FA after this year AND his agent is Scott Boras. That's a lose-lose, unless the Giants could trade-and-sign, but I doubt Boras is looking for any deal prior to letting him test the FA market.

Trading Cain also relies on Bumgarner emerging as a big club starter, which I think he can. I wanted to share this with you guys earlier, but forgot:

News: The San Jose Mercury News reports there are no far-gone theories as to why Giants SP prospect Madison Bumgarner has struggled since spring training began and has been hittable since his demotion to Triple-A Fresno. Giants GM Brian Sabean said the 20-year-old hurler is not battling injury as much as himself. "It's this simple: He was preoccupied this winter and it cost him," Sabean said. "He had personal stuff to straighten out, getting married, and he was ill-prepared to come into spring training. I don't know how much he threw to get ready. Some of it is our fault because we didn't track him as well as maybe we should. We've got to do a better job eyeballing that."

Analysis: After Bumgarner lost the bid for the fifth spot in the Giants' rotation because of an unimpressive spring that saw him barely touch 90 mph on the radar gun, the young lefty then allowed 11 runs and 21 hits in his first two Triple-A starts. Sabean added that Bumgarner is still in "spring training mode" and trying to play catch up. But if his last start on Tuesday is any indication, then Bumgarner has heard the message loud and clear. Giants VP and pitching guru Dick Tidrow spent time with Bumgarner over the weekend to help tweak his mechanics. The Giants saw immediate results. Bumgarner allowed two runs (one earned) and three hits in six innings against Portland on Monday. He consistently hit 90 mph with his fastball topping out at 93. "Because of how he throws across his body, it's a timing thing," Sabean said. "When he's in sync, he's throwing downhill. He hadn't done that. Right now, he's got three things against him: His slow start, the mechanical issues and the pressures of Triple-A. But he's a good athlete and a good talent and he'll figure it out." We second that sentiment. At least we can breathe easy and don't have to speculate about an injury causing Bumgarner's problems. The Giants have diagnosed the issue and are beginning to remedy the situation. Bumgarner remains a solid long-term Fantasy keeper and should be recalled in 2010. Stash him in larger seasonal formats.

This is very good news imo.

» Tue May 04, 2010 8:00 am
Mercury News reporting that Dave Roberts is battling Cancer... Always liked this guy. I hope this class act has a speedy recovery.

Franchise Player
» Tue May 04, 2010 8:48 pm
Switching back and forth between the Sharks and Giants, man... what a game. Rowand clutch HR in the 9th to tie. 3-run, 12th inning.

Good stuff.

Starting Lineup
» Tue May 04, 2010 8:59 pm
xbay wrote:Switching back and forth between the Sharks and Giants, man... what a game. Rowand clutch HR in the 9th to tie. 3-run, 12th inning.

Good stuff.

yeah I am not the biggest Rowand fan and honestly I thought the game was over when he came up. Huge HR.

Role Player
» Thu May 06, 2010 7:31 pm
Tarantism wrote:
xbay wrote:Switching back and forth between the Sharks and Giants, man... what a game. Rowand clutch HR in the 9th to tie. 3-run, 12th inning.

Good stuff.

yeah I am not the biggest Rowand fan and honestly I thought the game was over when he came up. Huge HR.

I'm not either but i'll admint he's been pretty good when he wasnt injured this season. I'm hoping he finally lives up to his contract like zito is doing now. Who the hell would think that zito would be leading the giants in wins at 5-0 now. Our pitching staff is straight filthy.

Site Admin
» Thu May 06, 2010 11:19 pm
It's nice to see the Giants and Zito getting some national media love today. We'll have 2 starting pitchers in the All-Star game again. :bday:

All Star
» Fri May 07, 2010 10:25 am
JREED23 wrote:It's nice to see the Giants and Zito getting some national media love today. We'll have 2 starting pitchers in the All-Star game again. :bday:

My guess is we'll see Pablo there as well.