To All The Iverson Supporters...

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Can we finally all agree that Allen Iverson is a blackhole?

Yes, but not because of Iguodala.
10%
Yes, Iggy's stardom proves it.
40%
No, Iguodala was going to blow up anyway.
20%
No, Iguodala's numbers having nothing to do with Iverson.
30%

Total votes : 10

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:20 am
AI isn't a point guard. He's an undersized shooting guard. He's pure entertainment, which I can enjoy, but we're seeing this as a consistent trend building up here in today's game. If anything, I think the Nuggets would've been better off with Andre Miller. They should've just let AI go to the Celtics or something else. Look at the before and after record.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:37 am
xbaywarrior wrote:AI isn't a point guard. He's an undersized shooting guard. He's pure entertainment, which I can enjoy, but we're seeing this as a consistent trend building up here in today's game. If anything, I think the Nuggets would've been better off with Andre Miller. They should've just let AI go to the Celtics or something else. Look at the before and after record.

The record since getting Iverson is misleading because there have been injuries and suspensions, as well as some distractions. Andre Miller is a top 10 PG to me! He is one of the best distributors there is and he is one of the most underrated players right now. He has helped Iguodala improve because of his abilities to playmake, which are better than Iverson's, not that iverson can't playmake because he did for years in Philly. Iverson finally has a consistent star next to him in Carmelo and though neither is a star big, they can create well enough to make the Nuggets a top 4 team in the West. Now with Steve Blake being an effective PG (I thought Boykins should have been kept but now see the importance of a more pass first PG), Iverson can play off the ball more often and focus on being more of a scorer only, as he did back at the start of this decade when he was getting scoring titles. Iverson can playmake well and has gotten more assists than many PGs currently in the nba have the ability to get but he has shown in the past that playing off the ball is where he is most effective ONLY if the PG alongside him is a good playmaker, as Eric Snow became when playing with Iverson and Blake looks like he has become. Next season, the Nugs should be much more organised, with a structure to how they want to play on both sides of the court. With a healthy Camby and Nene (not counting KMart since he never is), the Nuggets have good enough inside players to win over 50 games but the health has always been an issue with those two.

The Nuggets do not have the talent that the Warriors do but if Iverson and Carmelo can continue to coexist like they have and Carmelo can make this season's level of play the usual for him, Iverson will have a better and more talented team than he ever has had. As long as the current Nuggets roster stays intact (they can get rid of KMart because he is never there), that team can be a top 4

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:46 am
But yet... it takes them how many games to finally function together? The chemistry is building, but I do not understand why it took AI days to get situated in. Harrington and Jackson were welcomed with open arms and exploded. Al had a horrible shooting night but returned the favor next game. And yada yada.

The fact of the matter is, I saw the Nuggets more of an effective team threat with Miller. Andre has contributed a lot to the Sixers success. They're only 4 games out of the 8th spot, and even though it'll take a miracle for them to make it, everyone was predicting this Sixers team was going to be in line with Memphis for Oden or Durant. (sounds a lot like my Niner team). Regardless of the injuries and suspensions, it should've only took a week or two for 'Melo and AI to succeed.

I haven't followed the Nuggets starting 5... does Steve Blake start? Because if he doesn't the lineup should be...

Blake, AI, Melo, Nene, Camby. Or is Kleiza starting?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:56 am
xbaywarrior wrote:But yet... it takes them how many games to finally function together? The chemistry is building, but I do not understand why it took AI days to get situated in. Harrington and Jackson were welcomed with open arms and exploded. Al had a horrible shooting night but returned the favor next game. And yada yada.

The fact of the matter is, I saw the Nuggets more of an effective team threat with Miller. Andre has contributed a lot to the Sixers success. They're only 4 games out of the 8th spot, and even though it'll take a miracle for them to make it, everyone was predicting this Sixers team was going to be in line with Memphis for Oden or Durant. (sounds a lot like my Niner team). Regardless of the injuries and suspensions, it should've only took a week or two for 'Melo and AI to succeed.

I haven't followed the Nuggets starting 5... does Steve Blake start? Because if he doesn't the lineup should be...

Blake, AI, Melo, Nene, Camby. Or is Kleiza starting?

I'm not sure what the starting five of the Nuggets is but it should be the one you listed, they seem to be more effective that way.

Take a look at what happened when the sixers got Webber - It took until the following season for the two to really click and the sixers to start winning

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:59 am
True, but Webber isn't exactly what he used to be. I can't say what we'd receive if it was Webber and AI, but the 94 or so version of him. AI is still what he is and Melo is one of the top SF's. I'd think a top 5 SF playing along side a future hall of famer would give you a pretty damn good team. They have many other weapons to go along with 'em.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:11 am
xbaywarrior wrote:True, but Webber isn't exactly what he used to be. I can't say what we'd receive if it was Webber and AI, but the 94 or so version of him. AI is still what he is and Melo is one of the top SF's. I'd think a top 5 SF playing along side a future hall of famer would give you a pretty damn good team. They have many other weapons to go along with 'em.

Webber was finding it hard to fit in the second half of the season when he was traded there and flourished the following season - That is a fact and the sixers won more.

Besides Iverson and Carmelo, the Nugs don't have any decent scorers. Those two have to do it all offensively and get open layups or dunks to Nene and Camby, as well as open outside shots to guys like Kleiza and JR Smith. They still have more weapons than the pathetic past sixers teams that Iverson has had. With a preseason to practice and get organised, the Nuggets should develop a system that maximises every player, kind of how the sixers team that went to the finals did

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:33 am
xbaywarrior wrote:I haven't followed the Nuggets starting 5... does Steve Blake start? Because if he doesn't the lineup should be...

Blake, AI, Melo, Nene, Camby

Yep, that's the starting 5.

Also, keep in mind that the Nuggets are missing K-Mart, too. He's vastly overpaid, but he's also a pretty good player that makes a difference for any team.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:38 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:AI isn't a point guard. He's an undersized shooting guard. He's pure entertainment, which I can enjoy, but we're seeing this as a consistent trend building up here in today's game. If anything, I think the Nuggets would've been better off with Andre Miller. They should've just let AI go to the Celtics or something else. Look at the before and after record.

That's exactly right! :D

I'm glad somebody's actually looking BEYOND the glitter and glamour of a big-name, blockbuster trade: Allen Iverson has actually made the Denver Nuggets worse. Their record is undeniable proof of that. But, of course, you'll hear excuses from Iverson fanboys.

TMC wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:I haven't followed the Nuggets starting 5... does Steve Blake start? Because if he doesn't the lineup should be...

Blake, AI, Melo, Nene, Camby

Yep, that's the starting 5.

Also, keep in mind that the Nuggets are missing K-Mart, too. He's vastly overpaid, but he's also a pretty good player that makes a difference for any team.

They don't miss him THAT much; Nene's done a helluva job replacing him.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:10 pm
32 wrote:They don't miss him THAT much; Nene's done a helluva job replacing him.

Yeah, but if K-Mart were healthy, they would have someone coming from the bench. Right now they're playing Jamal Sampson...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:29 pm
TMC wrote:
32 wrote:They don't miss him THAT much; Nene's done a helluva job replacing him.

Yeah, but if K-Mart were healthy, they would have someone coming from the bench. Right now they're playing Jamal Sampson...

I hear you... I'm almost glad Nene's had a chance to earn his contract money, though. At least the kid's not sucking up all that cash in a 15 MPG bench role. :wink:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:47 am
32 wrote:
TMC wrote:

I hear you... I'm almost glad Nene's had a chance to earn his contract money, though. At least the kid's not sucking up all that cash in a 15 MPG bench role. :wink:

Yeah, it's a good thing for Denver, too. Now he has a lot of value if K-Mart comes back healthy and they want to trade him next year (because nobody in his right mind would trade for K-Mart's contract).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:02 pm
I wouldn't want Nene's contract on the Warrior payroll (honestly, the most appealing case involves Denver taking Foyle as an expirer... and I'd rather have Foyle's money). But I can totally see other teams wanting him.

Seattle would be a nice fit. Pairing Nene (at center) with Chris Wilcox would make a semi-lethal inside combo... and I think the Sonics are starting to give up on a couple of their big men projects. I'm sure they wouldn't mind giving away a youngster for Nene. I don't think there's a team in the league with a larger amount of lukewarm big men on their bench (Petro, Collison, Sene, Fortson, Swift, Brown). :oops:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:10 am
32 wrote:I don't think there's a team in the league with a larger amount of lukewarm big men on their bench (Petro, Collison, Sene, Fortson, Swift, Brown). :oops:

Collison has played really well this season. No problems there. And Swift showed some promise last season, although he's missed this one due to injuries. Who knows what he'll do the next one?. Petro may be a decent role player, that's all. Fortson is an expirer that won't be re-signed, Sene sucks (for now... maybe forever) and Brown... who's Brown?

In other words, I only like Collison.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:35 am
TMC wrote:
32 wrote:I don't think there's a team in the league with a larger amount of lukewarm big men on their bench (Petro, Collison, Sene, Fortson, Swift, Brown). :oops:

Collison has played really well this season. No problems there. And Swift showed some promise last season, although he's missed this one due to injuries. Who knows what he'll do the next one?. Petro may be a decent role player, that's all. Fortson is an expirer that won't be re-signed, Sene sucks (for now... maybe forever) and Brown... who's Brown?

In other words, I only like Collison.

Collison is decent (not good, but decent). I think Seattle's hoping Petro or Swift turn into something (although, if I were them, I'd be losing hope). I can't understand why they keep collecting big men in the draft; they're swinging in the dark hoping that something (anything) will make contact.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:01 am
Another great game by Iverson - 22pts and 12asts. Denver on 7 game winning streak, in 6th spot and clinched playoff spot

PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board