Best Post Player in the league?

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Who is the best post player in the league?

Yao Ming
29%
Tim Duncan
43%
Dwight Howard
14%
Other (specify in post)
14%

Total votes : 7

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:14 pm
This thread is simply about a player's performance in the trenches, in the painted area, and not in other areas of the game.

The post game has taken a resurgence lately, with Howard and Duncan admitting they're centers this season, Boozer playing allstar ball, Zach Randolph and Amare rejuvinated, and KG being.... well, KG.

Contenders:

Yao Ming:
The tallest man in the league averages as many post points per game as anybody out there and shoots as high a percentage. He is the only post player in the top ten in points per game. Also is one of the best one on one defenders in the league

Tim Duncan:
Perhaps the best F/C in the league, TD has led the Spurs to a superb record as always and played superb ball as always, on both sides of the ball.

Dwight Howard:
Is a beast. He dunks as often and at as great an accuracy as Shaq did. He shoots 59% from the field and is a phenomenal rebounder. He manages to squeeze 18 ppg out of 10 shots per game, drawing fouls at a clip that eclipses even Shaq's foul drawing % in 2003. Per shot and Per minute Dwight is the best post player in the league, unfortunately he hasn't gotten enough of those to be putting up the 25-13 he's capable of.

Kevin Garnett:
Is Kevin Garnett

Elton Brand:
Superb player in the post who is having a down year, but still taking his team to the playoffs. He takes too many jumpers though.

Zach Randolph:
The second highest post scorer in the league is averaging 25-10. The one problem is that 80% of his shots are jumpers.

Amare Stoudamire:
Would be a top contender if he were at 100%. The question is if he ever will be at 100% again.

Chris Bosh:
Is one of the top post scorers in the league, averaging 24-10. Pretty much the same situation as Randolph except with a better team.

Carlos Boozer:
Has led the Jazz to a phenomenal record and leads the league in points per game scored in the post. Who thought he'd be averaging 22-12 this year?

Jermaine O'neal:
Is averaging 20-10 and almost leading the league in blocks to bring the Pacers to a playoff berth.

And with Greg Oden entering the league next year, and Okafor and Curry also starting to come into their own, I think it's safe to say that the era of weak post play is coming to an end.
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:23 pm
I'd say right now Yao is the best but Dwight Howard will pass him, Oden too if he pans out.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:39 am
I'd go with Duncan, but it's really close between him and Yao... I'd still pick Duncan by a hair. Everybody else is a step below (although some of them, like Dwight, may be there in a few seasons).
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:21 pm
Winning is in another category (needing teammates, coaches, ect). Scoring the most doesn't really tell the whole story. Neither does FG% (is Biedrins a better inside scorer than Duncan... or does Duncan take more shots outside of the circle?).

Keeping those things in mind, I'd rank the league's post players like this:

1) Elton Brand. No question. When he's on the block, no player in the league can guard him. No one. His midrange is solid... but the reason Brand is a force is because of his McHale-like inside savy. For my money, there's not a better offensive post player anywhere. Imagine Ike Diogu, but with better passing skills, superstar foul calls, and EVEN MORE inside moves. You get Elton Brand.

2) Kevin Garnett. The most uncomfortable mismatch of all-time (except for Magic). Big, powerful centers are too slow for him (not to mention, he has superior handles for a 7-footer)... and he can shoot over the smaller, quicker players. Plus, his arsenal of moves aren't too shabby either. Though he lacks a couple of Brand's better techniques, he's a far better passer than EB... which is why teams are so pissed off when they have to double-team him. One on one? Elton Brand is better. But when you take KG's passing, handles, and perimeter game (yes, it's an advantage... even though he stays out there too much), it's obvious Garnett's not too far behind.

3) Jermaine O'Neal... whose horribly under-rated in these post-player conversations. O'Neal's post game is slightly slower, but a tad stronger, than Garnett's... with all the fundamental skills being a hair worse than Garnett.

4) Dwight Howard. Howard and Oden will top this list in 3 years. No doubt. But, for now, Dwight is about 3rd or 4th in the league. I don't think he can be contained in single covered anymore. He's just a baby hook or a midrange jumper away from being the best the league has. Not a lotta moves underneath, but raw, Shaq-like power (which, any team will tell you, is better). Anytime you have power compared to Wilt or Shaq, you'll be the league's best player someday. No doubt.

5) Duncan's an under-rated passer, which is what I think his most valueable post move is. He's also an excellent catcher. After his battles with Shaq in the early 2000's, Duncan's been a tad gun-shy about going back-to-the-basket (unless his opponent is horrendously smaller), but he can knock down turn-around jumpers and baby hooks with deadly accuracy. If Duncan brought a little more intimidation to the table (like Howard or Jermaine), he'd be higher... but I've just never been a fan of the Big Fundamental's style. Too many running hooks and fading jumpers... and not enough smashmouth play for me to give him much love as a post player.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:27 pm
My problem with Brand is that 68% of his shots are jumpers, same with KG (76%). Dwight Howard gets as many points off dunks as Brand does in the post. No joke.
ImageImage

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:14 am
Duncan Now, Yao Next year, Oden year after that. Thank You
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:22 pm
lA_£NƒE®MéDåD wrote:My problem with Brand is that 68% of his shots are jumpers, same with KG (76%). Dwight Howard gets as many points off dunks as Brand does in the post. No joke.

I think Dwight Howard will be the best post player in the game as soon as 2 seasons from now. No question.

But I was just speaking on whose got the best post game in the league, not how often they use it. When Brand gets on the block, there's no stopping him. Same with Garnett. I agree, they both hang around the midrange too much for me (Garnett's even on the perimeter some times).
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:38 pm
It's gotta be Duncan, winning aspect excluded. He is just too complete of a post player to be stopped. Brand can be thrown off by bigger centers, Yao can be pushed out - although not as easily as before - and Howard doesn't have enough touch to face up and mean it.

I'm not sure Oden will be the best post player after a year. He has an incredible array of moves underneath but I haven't seen enough touch out of him. He will still be a monster though, but his defense will be a bigger impact than his offense which is saying something. He'll be one of the best post defenders immediately.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:36 pm
Duncan. Excellent footwork with the beautiful kiss off the glass. He knows how to finish around the rim.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:04 am
xbaywarrior wrote:Duncan. Excellent footwork with the beautiful kiss off the glass. He knows how to finish around the rim.

Duncan has been the best since he came to the nba and he will until he retires

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:29 am
Thunder wrote:I'm not sure Oden will be the best post player after a year. He has an incredible array of moves underneath but I haven't seen enough touch out of him. He will still be a monster though, but his defense will be a bigger impact than his offense which is saying something. He'll be one of the best post defenders immediately.

Yeah, so far, I'm more impressed with Oden's defense than his offensive moves. And I must say I love that. It's refreshing when most tall kids only care about scoring and carrying the team on only one side of the court.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:38 am
migya wrote:Duncan has been the best since he came to the nba and he will until he retires

Ehhh... not when he first came in (that honor belonged to Shaq). He probably passed Shaq during O'Neal's final season with LA.

Return to Sports Board