All Star Game

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:41 pm
You already know the starters and reserves for the all star game. But what about Saturday's events? Well, the dunk competition has it's competitors. Nate Robinson will be returning to defend his title against Dwight Howard, Tyrus Thomas, and my favorite one of this group and have been dying to see in this contest, Gerald Green.

Keep y'all posted on the other events when they come up.

EDIT;
2007 NBA All-Star Game
East All Stars: D. Wade, G. Arenas, L. James, C. Bosh, S. O'Neal
Reserves: C. Billups, C. Butler, V. Carter, R. Hamilton, D. Howard, J. Kidd, J. O'Neal
Coach: Eddie Jordan

West All Stars: K. Bryant, T. McGrady, K. Garnett, T. Duncan, Yao
Reserves: C. Boozer, A. Iverson, S. Marion, S. Nash, D. Nowitzki, T. Parker, A. Stoudemire
Coach: Mike D'Antoni

T-Mobile Rookie Challenge
Sophomores: A. Bogut, A. Bynum, M. Ellis(WOOT WOOT!), R. Felton, D. Granger, L. Head, D. Lee, C. Paul, D. Williams
Coach and Assistant: TBA

Rookies: A. Bargnani, J. Farmar, R. Foye, J. Garbajosa, R. Gay, P. Millsap, A. Morrison, B. Roy, M. Williams
Coach and Assistant: TBA

Playstation Skills Challenge
Champ: D. Wade
Challengers: K. Bryant, S. Nash, L. James

Sprite Rising Stars Slam Dunk
Champ: N. Robinson
Challengers: D. Howard, G. Green, T. Thomas

Haier Shooting Stars
Champ: Team San Antonio(T. Parker, S. Kerr, K. Wecker)
Challengers: Team Chicago(B. Gordon, S. Pippen, C. Dupree); Team Detroit(C. Billups, B. Laimbeer, S. Cash); Team Los Angeles(L. Odom, M. Cooper, T. Johnson)

Foot Locker 3-Point Shootout
Champ: D. Nowitzki
Challengers: G. Arenas, D. Jones, J. Kapono, M. Miller, J. Terry

All star weekend is set. :happy1:
Last edited by xbay on Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:30 am
Go Monta!

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:49 am
I doubt I'll watch a single event of the All Star weekend. I haven't the last few years, and the only reason to watch it would be having a Warrior in the game...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:13 am
Gerald Green's taking that ****. The kid's got too much spring in his legs.

LeBron SHOULD take the skills challenge, but those guys (aka, HUGE stars) usually jog through these things and rarely take it seriously.

Monta probably wont play, with his knee bugging him. That sucks.

PS: Where's "Team Warriors" at??? I'd love to see Chris Mullin, Mitch Richmond, and Al Harrington out there making it rain!!
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:02 am
Did you see Gerald Green in his the HS All American contest? He could have beat everyone of these guys back then. If he doesn't blow it he should destroy everyone.

I say Green beats Nate in the finals even though Tyrus Thomas deserves to be there instead of Nate (height favoritism by fans/judges). Howard might have a chance if the Magic trade for Nash really quick, otherwise he is going to go out like a watered down Amare.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:20 pm
Dwight's a power dunker. Even though it's my preferred type of jam, it gets zero respect in the dunk contest.

Unless you do a Michael-Dr. J-Dominique-style, floating, twisting, ballet jam, you're not gonna get any love. Tom Chambers threw down some powerful stuff in the 80's and got the shaft early.

I'd love to see a separate dunk contest purely for power jammers; with Amare, Dwight, Jermaine, KG, ect... They could have one part where they gotta dunk on one of the other competitors, one part where they rip down powerful ally-oops from teammates, and then the normal jam type.

The post game gets no love in this league. Sad, but true.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:18 pm
I'd like to amend my prediciton after these recent comments (Thomas' take on whether or not he's excited to participate):

"Not really," Thomas said. "I'm just going to go out there, get my check and call it a day."

"I'm just into the free money," he said when asked if he thought fraternizing with the great dunk champs of years past could be of benefit to him. "That's it. I'll just do whatever when I get out there."

Thomas sounds pathetic saying this kind of junk. This isn't a charity event. If he doesn't particularly want to be there let someone like Rodney Carney have a chance to go for it.

Either way he will now finish last with Nate deserving to lose in the finals against Green.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:39 pm
Thunder wrote:I'd like to amend my prediciton after these recent comments (Thomas' take on whether or not he's excited to participate):

"Not really," Thomas said. "I'm just going to go out there, get my check and call it a day."

"I'm just into the free money," he said when asked if he thought fraternizing with the great dunk champs of years past could be of benefit to him. "That's it. I'll just do whatever when I get out there."

Thomas sounds pathetic saying this kind of junk. This isn't a charity event. If he doesn't particularly want to be there let someone like Rodney Carney have a chance to go for it.

Either way he will now finish last with Nate deserving to lose in the finals against Green.

:shock:

wtf? He should be kicked out of the contest for those comments (even if it's true).
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:23 pm
Paxson just fined Thomas $10,000 for his comments. I think that considering the prizes are

3rd and 4th get $16,125
2nd gets $22,500
1st gets $35,000

he should have fined him $30,000. If he did that the only way Thomas could come out with "free money" is if he won the thing.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:37 pm
Yeah, an underachieving rookie should be speaking like this. What a moron.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:31 pm
Thomas just said what everyone else thinks!

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:36 pm
yeah i remember ty thomas on nbadraft.net... one of the knocks on him was his maturity........... well this certainly explains that scouting report... just a kid being a kid... its shame he makes more than doctors and people who uphold the law..
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:18 pm
Haier Shooting Stars are set. Team SA will face Team's LA, CHI, and DET.

Foot Locker 3-Point Shootout contestants will be announced tomorrow.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:02 pm
Thunder wrote:I say Green beats Nate in the finals even though Tyrus Thomas deserves to be there instead of Nate (height favoritism by fans/judges). Howard might have a chance if the Magic trade for Nash really quick, otherwise he is going to go out like a watered down Amare.

I'd like to amend my prediciton after these recent comments (Thomas' take on whether or not he's excited to participate) . . . he will now finish last with Nate deserving to lose in the finals against Green.

What's my prize for calling the most predictable outcome ever?

The two best dunks were Green's off the side and Howard's 12'6". Everything else was so-so to say the least. The best part of Saturday was Chuck's upset over Bevetta.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:30 pm
I only caught the dunk contest. Everything else is crap, to me.

Gerald Green's first dunk was pure savagery, but ended there. Even his final, "table" jam wasn't great.

The only out of the ordinary jam of the night came from Dwight Howard and his sticker. Other than that, it was a horrendous dunk contest.
Next

Return to Sports Board