Aftermath of Trade: Troy Murphy

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:57 pm
Well, I guess Troy Murphy's answered everybody's claims about him being "a weak rebounder" who only grabbed "cheap boards because nobody else on the Warriors were capable of rebounding".

Since becoming a Pacer, Troy Murphy (in an average of 28 minutes a night) has left only one game without 10 or more rebounds. He's averaging 10.5 a night in Indiana. Oh, by the way, he's doing it next to Jermaine O'Neal (a 20 & 10 machine) whose also kept up his rebounding numbers (9.8 a game, since the trade). And did I mention that Jeff Foster is averaging 8.6 boards a game this season?

On a team of very capable rebounders, Troy Murphy has managed to become the best one they have.

How's that for all the doubters? :wink:

PS: After all that talk about how much he capitalized by being the only good rebounder on the Warriors, I better not hear anybody claiming that now he's grabbing rebounds because "the other teams focus on Jermaine O'Neal" or something. Murph's earned his respect. Give the man his props.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:40 am
#32 wrote:How's that for all the doubters? :wink:

What else did you expect?. He only gets board due to the terrible teammates he has. Dunleavy will throw 10 bricks per game, Tinsley will add 5 more, a few more from Daniels and Granger... Indy is just terrible from outside. That's why everybody's numbers are up.

At this pace, JO, Murph and Foster will average 15 boards per game (each) by the end of the season.

PS: This is probably a bunch of bullsh*t (although it's a fact that they're an awful shooting team), but I hate losing... If you counter-argue, I'll make up another fallacy that makes me look good.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:01 am
And his replacement Al Harrington is averaging 21-7-2-2 on 48% shooting and 52% three point shooting. My point is that you can't judge on a small sample size.

Murphy, since he got to indiana, has been putting up one of the best rebounding rates in the NBA, better than Dwight Howard's. However don't believe that it was just lack of minutes that was hindering his stats here, he has doubled his rebounding proficiency since departing.

I think that these stats will fall somewhat, as I think that Harrington's allstar level numbers will fall
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:41 pm
Harrington's numbers are out of bounds because he's a streaky player. Murphy isn't.

For example: Al scored 14 points on 19% shooting in his Warrior debut, then exploded for 30 on 67% shooting the next game. He hits 29 against Charlotte, then 13, then 21, then 11. Up and down.

Since going to the Pacers, Murphy's rebounding per night is as follows: 11, 8, 12, 12, 10, 10 (I don't count the last game because of his low minutes... even though he DID grab 4 in only 6 minutes). Consistent.

That's the difference.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:25 pm
Harrington's numbers are out of bounds because he's a streaky player. Murphy isn't.

If Murphy isn't streaky then why has he doubled his rebound rate since the trade? And got 13 rebounds in his first game... followed by 8 total rebounds in the next four games combined
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:52 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:If Murphy isn't streaky then why has he doubled his rebound rate since the trade? And got 13 rebounds in his first game... followed by 8 total rebounds in the next four games combined

Yep. Murphy ain't suited to play in an uptempo team. He's great for Indy, but terrible for a team like ours. That's why I'm not surprised he's doing well in Indy...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:38 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:If Murphy isn't streaky then why has he doubled his rebound rate since the trade? And got 13 rebounds in his first game... followed by 8 total rebounds in the next four games combined

The mask.

A lotta people didn't buy it. I was trying to tell people; the mask bugged the crap out of him. Now that he's playing without it, he's consistent again (like he has been his entire career, sans the Artest rumors phase). But, like I said, a lot of people refused to believe it. I guess the proof is in the pudding.

Since going to the Pacers, Troy Murphy's been an incredible rebounder. Might have something to do with an increase in minutes, a slower tempo, and the loss of that phantom mask. The team's suited to Troy's needs, so he's thriving. Good for him. Glad to see he's showing all the doubters up.

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:52 pm
Murph has re broken his nose :!:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:42 pm
That's too bad. He was playing great for Indiana at 100%.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:52 pm
Murphy is an effective rebounder on a team where he is not expected to bang down low and where the pace is glacial. That describes Indiana in the era of O'Neal and Carlisle. Murphy doesn't have a good enough 3 to be a nowitzki (circa 2003) style PF, and he doesn't have a post up game, so on a team where he is expected to be a traditional PF, he is mediocre. As long as Rick Carlisle is coaching the team, Murphy will have a home.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:55 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:And his replacement Al Harrington is averaging 21-7-2-2 on 48% shooting and 52% three point shooting. My point is that you can't judge on a small sample size.

Murphy, since he got to indiana, has been putting up one of the best rebounding rates in the NBA, better than Dwight Howard's. However don't believe that it was just lack of minutes that was hindering his stats here, he has doubled his rebounding proficiency since departing.

I think that these stats will fall somewhat, as I think that Harrington's allstar level numbers will fall

That's right and Murphy needed to play next to a very good big and he now has an easier time getting rebounds and getting open jumpers

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:08 am
coltraning wrote:Murphy is an effective rebounder on a team where he is not expected to bang down low and where the pace is glacial. That describes Indiana in the era of O'Neal and Carlisle. Murphy doesn't have a good enough 3 to be a nowitzki (circa 2003) style PF, and he doesn't have a post up game, so on a team where he is expected to be a traditional PF, he is mediocre. As long as Rick Carlisle is coaching the team, Murphy will have a home.

That doesn't take anything away from what he's doing. He's outrebounding Jeff Foster and Jermaine O'Neal in equal situations. That's not enough for the doubters to admit that the kid's a good rebounder???

I don't get it; everyone here knows that Jermaine is a good rebounder. Everyone here admits, "If there's ONE thing Jeff Foster can do, it's rebound". And, yet, when Murphy out-does the both of them (on THEIR team, so they have equal - if not more - opportunities), people still make up excuses as to why Murph is getting his numbers...?

Just give the man his props, already. What's it gonna hurt? Its not like he's on OUR team anymore; we don't have to deal with his contract, so why's everyone still hating...?

#32 wrote:PS: After all that talk about how much he capitalized by being the only good rebounder on the Warriors, I better not hear anybody claiming that now he's grabbing rebounds because "the other teams focus on Jermaine O'Neal" or something.

migya wrote:That's right and Murphy needed to play next to a very good big and he now has an easier time getting rebounds and getting open jumpers

:roll: Murphy can't win with you people. Either he's grabbing cheap boards on a team without any rebounders or he's capitalizing off Jermaine O'Neal?? Please. I'm almost glad he got trade, for his sake. Nobody should have to live up to those expectations.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:29 pm
Murphy just isn't that good, plain and simple. He will come back down to Earth shortly

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:33 pm
yeah and dont forget the "back board passes" he throws to murphy on the offensive glass!!
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:11 am
migya wrote:Murphy just isn't that good, plain and simple. He will come back down to Earth shortly

Nobody's saying he's a star. But the kid can rebound. He's proven it.

And, for some reason, sore Warriors fans who doubted him STILL won't give him any love (even when he's no longer THEIR problem). I find that absolutely amazing. I mean, at least TMC jokingly admitted that he was being stubborn. The rest of you aren't making any sense at all.
Next

Return to Sports Board