Carmelo - Biggest allstar snub in NBA history

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:06 am
As of now, Carmelo Anthony is averaging 31.5 ppg, 6 rpg and 4 apg. On a team that will make the playoffs. He is clearly Marion's superior and is arguably having a better season than half of the forwards on the team. I know he'll still make the team in place of Boozer or Yao, but this is unprecedented
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:59 am
I completely agree. If the team's were based on skill (rather than popularity), 'Melo would be the starting 3 this season. No question.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:00 am
Agreed - Bob Mcadoo also missed a year he got 28 and 15 but that was, I believe when he was playing in the same conference as Kareem, Lanier and Cowens, so understandable. This is crazy - what were the voters thinking?
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:49 am
I don't have a gripe about the starting spot. It's a popular pick and we all know it's flawed. But he should have been picked by the coaches. If he's not there, it will be as a punishment for his sucker-punching show at the Madison.

Karl must be pissed, tho. I've heard him this week telling that he was sure, from all the conversations he had had with other coaches, that Melo would be picked.

Still, he'll make it instead of Boozer or Yao. Stern cannot leave him out... or can he?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:32 pm
TMC wrote:Still, he'll make it instead of Boozer or Yao. Stern cannot leave him out... or can he?

When was the last time David Stern was fair OR just...?
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:15 pm
#32 wrote:
TMC wrote:Still, he'll make it instead of Boozer or Yao. Stern cannot leave him out... or can he?

When was the last time David Stern was fair OR just...?

Stern is all about the money, he'll probably pick 'Melo.
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:15 pm
I know Melo was snubbed by the league, not by voters, but I still need to ask

Why do we let fans vote for the NBA All Star game still?

I mean, c'mon. Grant Hill? Steve Francis this year? If Stern knew what to do he would hold a press conference and announce that fans have lost the 'priviledge' of naming the All Star Starters. Fans would still mostly get what they want but we wouldn't have issues like Grant Hill starting. Or better yet, why not just name the team then have the voters pick the starters, so they at least have some say.

This goes beyond just basketball though. Baseball is another sport where the All Star starters are a joke.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:23 pm
Thunder wrote:Or better yet, why not just name the team then have the voters pick the starters, so they at least have some say.

I like that idea the best... but Sternbot wouldn't.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:29 am
#32 wrote:
Thunder wrote:Or better yet, why not just name the team then have the voters pick the starters, so they at least have some say.

I like that idea the best... but Sternbot wouldn't.

Yep. Would be a lot more fair... we'd still have travesties like Tony Parker, but not as much as if the fans get to pick the whole 10 starters.

Still, there would be a slight problem. The fans would have only 1 or 2 weeks of voting to pick the starters. I think that's more than enough... but I doubt the commish wants to go that way. He wants to make money, and allowing the fans to pick the starters creates more fans, as it gives the (wrong) belief that they can control something (or something like that. I'm just trying to guess what the league may be thinking).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:36 pm
They should just fix the damn voting. Take a hint from George W. :wink: :roll:

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:44 pm
yeah well even though carmello missed quite a few games due to suspention, he was more deserving than shaq---- who has missed like the whole damn season!! that was the most rediculas voting i have ever seen in my life.. he's played like 2 games and he's voted in as a starter? talked about flawed voting.... F*ck the fans vote, obviously there are to many dumb people who dont know how to vote... david stern needs to correct this!!
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:24 am
Fan Voting Sucks.

If i was Stern/Coaches I wouldnt put Melo on All-Star team either based on the fight. Stats and Skill alone he should be an All-Star, but its not the fact he got in a fight, but the fact he sucker punched the kid then ran away.

Hes a punk.
formerly known as tradedunleavy
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:11 pm
Who'd want to be Stern anyway? He's a grade A assh*le, a total nutcase, needs to anally raped, or whatever. Horrible rules since becoming commish. I can't wait 'til the day he finally retires.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:14 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Who'd want to be Stern anyway? He's a grade A assh*le, a total nutcase, needs to anally raped, or whatever. Horrible rules since becoming commish. I can't wait 'til the day he finally retires.

I think he did pretty well... til the last few years, when he started with those rules trying to make the league fit the idea he has in his mind... which is that of the Corporate America. He wants only to make money, and for that he has to make customers (the customers he's aiming at) identify with the league. That's what I see behind those rules...

Return to Sports Board