Cal Vs. UCLA

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:18 pm
First and foremost, I was a pure mutual fan at the event, I went with a friend who is a Cal student and another friend who recently became an alum at UCLA, so I was just there for a good basketball game.
I went to the game last night and granted it was the first Cal or UCLA game I've watched all year but I have to say I was very disappointed.

1) Neither team did anything offensively at all. UCLA would run their offense around the perimeter for 25-30 seconds then finally since the shot clock was running out someone would finally drive to about 10-15 feet from the basket and toss up something, cheers if it went in, "awwww" if it went out (i was sitting fairly high and near the UCLA section).

When Cal had the ball, I really don't know what their game plan was, #1 liked to shoot and miss alot. Cal's offense seemed to be run through on the ball screens by their big man #24? he would set about 2 or 3 screens on the ball then either roll down low or pop up top around the 3 point line, since there was no penetration, then catch and shoot a 3 which i only think he made 1 which was the 40 footer hail mary when the score was 7-5.

2) NO FAST BREAK. Wow, as a Warrior fan whose watched 90% of the games this season, I have to say I'm spoiled on fast paced offense. Every stop a team had they would maybe run 10 feet then walk it up the rest of the way. Neither team pushed the ball, countless times watching I would watch a G/F grab a rebound turnaround have outlets and he wouldn't even budge on passing it or even taking off and dribbling. They would either walk it up if they were a guard or find a guard to hand the ball of if they were a forward.

3)Afflalo (sp?) can play, kind of, he was probably the only player on the court worth watching, even though he was quiet the first half he picked it up and poured in 20 in the 2nd half. Granted he did it with UCLA's offense of, draining the shot clock down to single digits then driving and throwing up a 10-15 runner.

I was def disappointed with this Pac-10 matchup granted UCLA is a much better team then Cal at this juncture of the season but they def did not dominate like I thought a Top 5 team would for 40 minutes. I sadly see UCLA disappointing their fans in the tournament and don't see Cal making much noise if they do make. Lastly the last college game in person I saw, involved Eddie House and he impressed the hell out of me in the way he moved without the ball and his ability to put the ball in the hoop now he's a backup somewhere, I see the same for Afflalo although I didn't see any where near the talent House oozed with some 5 odd years ago. Just plain boring half court basketball, nothing to write home about.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:38 pm
I was at the game. The thing that amazed me was the atmosphere. The first five minutes, cheers for Cal were louder than anybody's ever cheered at the Oracle (and I've been to a lot of overtime games at the Oracle), and then the cheering died when UCLA went on a 7-0 run. The weird thing, was that by the end of the game, the crowd, which was originally screaming for Cal like a soccer crowd would, was now chanting "U-C-L-A" repeatedly.

As a side note, seeing real cheerleaders instead of NBA cheerleaders at a game was..... refreshing.
ImageImage

Rookie
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:18 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:The weird thing, was that by the end of the game, the crowd, which was originally screaming for Cal like a soccer crowd would, was now chanting "U-C-L-A" repeatedly.

YEah, i was sitting one section over from the UCLA parent/student crowd, it became a laughing stock for them.

Return to Sports Board