Why is lebron slipping

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:15 pm
Lebron is down about 4.5 points, half a rebound, and half an assist from last year. This seems peculiar for a guy who improved exponentially during his first two offseasons and is still only 22 years old. One would think that the taste of success last year would have driven him to become this year's undisputed best player but instead his numbers have taken a dip. At a first glance it's pretty clear that the reason for this dip is because of less minutes and attempts than his prior two seasons. However, what is confusing is why he is getting less minutes and taking less shots on a team that is mostly unchanged since last year's campaign. Since his assists are down, it's not that he's passing more. So what gives?
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:10 am
I haven't seen the Cavs much this year, so I'm just guessing... Probably defenses are working harder on him (as he's the Cavs) and he (and his coach) wants to involve his teammates more. It ain't working, tho. The Cavs are just another mundane team. They should have a much better record in the East...
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:10 am
I think it is because, other than Lebron, the Cavs are a spectacularly average team. Larry Hughes was always a good third option and he is being forced into a #2 option (when he is healthy). Ilgauskas is plodding and they really have nothing else. Frankly, man for man, switch Lebron and BD (our best player) and the Ws would have about 5-10 more wins, that's how good LBJ is. He just has zero support.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:52 pm
from the APBR:
"Cavs' Coach Mike Brown wants to limit LeBron's minutes in the regular season so as not to overwork him before the playoffs. He talked about doing that last year as well, but it's hard to put LeBron on the bench when (1) he wants to play and (2) the game is close. Last year, Brown would say in his pregame standup that he really needed to watch LeBron's minutes--and then that night's game would go to overtime and LeBron would be on the court for 45+ minutes. This year I think that he is making sure that LeBron is getting some rest early in the game so that even if LeBron has to play the entire fourth quarter and overtime that his minutes don't get out of hand. When Larry Hughes is healthy and effective he can handle the ball and keep the second unit afloat while LeBron rests (all the games that Hughes missed last season no doubt added to LeBron's minutes and increased his scoring average).

Also, keep in mind that LeBron played on Team USA this summer. Players who have played for Team USA in previous years often see their stats go down in the following season. Elton Brand's numbers have declined even more than LeBron's. Kirk Hinrich has been up and down this year. Duncan is supposedly recovered from the injuries that bothered him last season yet his numbers are not off the charts (for him).

Before someone brings up Melo or some guys from previous years who did well in post-Olympic or post-FIBA Championship seasons, note that I said "often," not always; I realize that there have been exceptions.

--David Friedman
http://20secondtimeout.blogspot.com/"
ImageImage
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:26 pm
The Cavs don't have a shooter and don't have a point guard. And until they do, I'll side with Charles on the fact that they will not go far in the playoffs without those two main things.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:27 pm
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:The Cavs don't have a shooter and don't have a point guard. And until they do, I'll side with Charles on the fact that they will not go far in the playoffs without those two main things.

Damon Jones isn't a shooter?
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:39 pm
John Patrick wrote:
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:The Cavs don't have a shooter and don't have a point guard. And until they do, I'll side with Charles on the fact that they will not go far in the playoffs without those two main things.

damon jones isn't playing less than 25 minutes per game?
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:43 pm
Lebron is definately the focal point of opposition defenses but the guy is getting less minutes so he doesn't tire, if it is possible. Regardless of the decrease in his numbers he is still #1 in the nba

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:27 am
John Patrick wrote:

They have shooters. Damon Jones and Pavlovic are good shooters. If they don't play, it's a different problem.

I agree about the PG, tho. Eric Snow shouldn't be starting in the NBA and Gibson is unproven. I really thought Shannon Brown was going to help more, but so far he's done... well, nothing.

Return to Sports Board