Where will webber and franchise end up?

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:03 pm
If they both go to a team that's already a contender for the minimum that could be huge
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:07 pm
Webber is gonna go to Detroit. Francis is going to the place that pays him the most. They won't land on the same front (although, I agree, that would be a pretty nice coup for anybody).
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:20 pm
I don't think Webber can add much to any team now. Depend on the team, tho. A crippled Webber would improve the Lakers, but probably wouldn't do much for the Heat. Pistons seems like the logical destination, with the Lakers a long shot (according to his agent).

About Francis, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go back to Houston. And that would be a tremendous boost for the Rockets, that is if he can stand playing for Van Gundy again. Seems like Denver is also interested, although I don't think they have a chance. I still got my doubts about this buyout, tho.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:26 pm
TMC wrote:About Francis, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go back to Houston. And that would be a tremendous boost for the Rockets, that is if he can stand playing for Van Gundy again. Seems like Denver is also interested, although I don't think they have a chance. I still got my doubts about this buyout, tho.

Thats the real trick; Francis can't stand Jeff Van Gundy.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:18 pm
Francis hasn't been bought out yet but if he does he'll be a great fit in the Pistons as a backup PG because right now they have Flip Murray, a SG, playing PG now with Billups out. Wouldn't be surprised if the Pistons land both Francis and Webber and then win it all.

Apparently the Spurs and Heat are also interested and either team would be bolstered by Webber. I'd like him in Orlando alongside Dwight as well

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:57 pm
migya wrote:I'd like him in Orlando alongside Dwight as well

So does Webber's agent. It sounds appealing enough to make Detroit up their offer.

Make no mistake, all this talk about "whose in the runnings for Webber" is BS. He's going to Detroit. That's his #1 pick. Unless they majorly withdraw from the idea, they'll get him.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:33 am
#32 wrote:Make no mistake, all this talk about "whose in the runnings for Webber" is BS. He's going to Detroit. That's his #1 pick. Unless they majorly withdraw from the idea, they'll get him.

Yep. I'm sure he would only sign elsewhere if someone goes nuts and makes him an offer clearly above Detroit. And nobody is going to risk that much with this Webber...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:22 am
Webber should just want a championship as that is what he has never gotten. The Pistons look like the best team for that

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:24 pm
migya wrote:Webber should just want a championship as that is what he has never gotten. The Pistons look like the best team for that

I dunno if the Pistons are the "best" team for that, but they certainly are up there.

If he's purely looking for a championship, than Miami, San Antonio, Phoenix, and New Jersey would all probably be better fits. Miami and San Antonio are obvious, but the other two need explaining.

I think Webber would do well on the Suns (even though he has no outside game). Look at Boris Diaw; guys who can pass well always seem to thrive on the Suns. Reason #2: Steve Nash. 'Nuff said.

Ditto for New Jersey, where JKidd is ideal for him... and they've been lacking a star PF since Kenyon Martin left.

Webber can't offer Detoit anything that they don't already have (except, maybe his slick inside passing... but they don't cut enough to take advantage of that).
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:38 pm
yeah, webber wouldn't help detroit too much, even in a starting role. He doesn't fit their style

He wouldn't help the spurs, because he'd basically be playing a choker version of horry role there

Nobody can help the heat.......

the nets won't win a ring, with or without webber. Lawrence Frank is too bad of a coach and webber doesn't solve any of their real problems

Who would webber be playing over in phoenix. He might be in a kurt thomas role, but I don't see him contributing too much off the bench (because he wants PT)

i don't see webber winning a ring, unless he were to go to the heat and shaq averaged more than 14 ppg and 8 rpg
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:08 pm
Good points, Pest. Miami's his best option. You gotta believe Shaq will turn it on once the regular season ends. Webber wants to start (which he would, over Haslem) and they'd have, officially, the most loaded bench in the league (if they don't already).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:20 pm
#32 wrote:Webber wants to start (which he would, over Haslem)

No way he starts over Haslem if he signs there. He'd be the fourth inside guy of the team, after Shaq, Haslem and Zo.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:32 pm
#32 wrote:Good points, Pest. Miami's his best option. You gotta believe Shaq will turn it on once the regular season ends. Webber wants to start (which he would, over Haslem) and they'd have, officially, the most loaded bench in the league (if they don't already).

yeah, but I think at this point in his career, shaq "turning it on" would equate to about 15 points per game maximum, with one or two 25 point games to show that he's still shaq.
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:10 pm
If Webber wants to start he should sign with Bakersfield. He and POB would be a formidable front line down in the D League.

Seriously, what has this guy brought to a team in the past 3 years? Nothing. He can still add to a team but he shouldn't be starting on a team that is trying to contend.

Same goes for Stevie. He puts up numbers but his teams ALWAYS underachieve. He deserves to start on, say, a Hawks or Bobcat kind of team.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:35 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
#32 wrote:Good points, Pest. Miami's his best option. You gotta believe Shaq will turn it on once the regular season ends. Webber wants to start (which he would, over Haslem) and they'd have, officially, the most loaded bench in the league (if they don't already).

yeah, but I think at this point in his career, shaq "turning it on" would equate to about 15 points per game maximum, with one or two 25 point games to show that he's still shaq.

I agree; the big guy's really showing his age the past 2 seasons. But the sad thing is that 60% of Shaq is still better than most centers. I can see him putting up 17 PPG, 9 RPG, and 1.5 BPG in the playoffs (definately not the regular reason though).
Next

Return to Sports Board