Food for thought: Dodgers offer all-you-can-eat seats

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:55 pm
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack ... and throw in a dozen Dodger Dogs, too.

The Los Angeles Dodgers will give fans something to chew on next season: all-you-can eat seats.

ADVERTISEMENT
The right-field pavilion at Dodger Stadium will be converted into the special section, giving around 3,000 fans as many hot dogs, peanuts, popcorn, nachos and sodas as they want.

Tickets will sell for $35 in advance and $40 on gameday, and some items at the concession stand aren't in play -- beer, ice cream and candy will be sold separately at regular prices.

"Instead of paying cash, fans ask for whatever they want, and they get it. There are going to be some self-service parts, buffet-style, as well," Dodgers executive vice president and chief operating officer Marty Greenspun said.

There will be some other limitations. Food booths open 90 minutes before games and close two hours after the first pitch.

And anybody who walks up and wants 100 hot dogs -- they're sold as Dodger Dogs, from $4.50 to the all-beef variety for $5.25 -- will have to curb their appetite.

"If a person goes up there and asks for four for his family, he won't be told no," Dodgers senior vice president of communications Camille Johnston said.

Greenspun said the team tested the all-you-can-eat concept three times late last season. "The response was overwhelmingly positive" and gave the Dodgers food for thought, he said.

A few other teams have had all-you-can-eat sections. "The St. Louis Cardinals have done it," Greenspun said. "It hasn't been anything of this size." In addition, he said, "the other ballparks charge a higher rate than this."

All-you-can-eat isn't exactly the most health-conscious concept these days, but as Greenspun put it: "We're offering a fan amenity. Fans can elect to choose it or not choose it. We are offering basic ballpark fare that most fans enjoy."

Tickets in left field, meanwhile, will be $10.

so... chavez revine has been known as one of the prettier ballparks in baseball, and they have 10 dollar seats in left field, and all you can eat in right field..

the giants meanwhile, just raised ticket prices 15% meaning that the 2 games i went to last year will be reduced to 1 most likely. i realize the giants have a mortgage to pay, but for reals? they will be making so much extra money on the all star game alone, yet to jack up prices for every game, plus they were able to raise the payroll due to mlb.com and the luxery tax. its not fair to the fan who a bleacher seat, now we got to pay like 30 dollars to sit out in the nosebleeds in the outfield. rediculas!!!!!!!!!!!! at least offer us a dollar dog night or a fukin all you can eat section!!!! for crying out loud peter mcgowan!!!!!!!
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:13 am
All you can eat! That'll bring many fans and so it should! Good on them for doing that

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:00 pm
I bet you anything those tickets are in the worst possible seating in the stadium. It's just a marketing ploy to get more people to buy tickets.

They make so much damn money off the food to begin with, giving it away to one section of the park probably doesn't even put a dent in their profit.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:02 pm
I wish the Warriors would do this for the $10 tickets.

I'm tired of paying $35 dollars for a dinner while watching the game, especially since you can't bring your own food in. At least the A's let you bring your own food.

But good for the Dodgers. F the franchise and F the fans but at least they are doing something right. It's a shrewd marketing ploy that hopeuflly will catch on. At a minimun, I hope it causes a stir/ripple in the escalating prices of food.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:45 pm
Thunder wrote:I wish the Warriors would do this for the $10 tickets.

I'm tired of paying $35 dollars for a dinner while watching the game, especially since you can't bring your own food in. At least the A's let you bring your own food.

But good for the Dodgers. F the franchise and F the fans but at least they are doing something right. It's a shrewd marketing ploy that hopeuflly will catch on. At a minimun, I hope it causes a stir/ripple in the escalating prices of food.

I agree - I think the Ws approach to food is exploitive and greedy. 4.50 for a 75 cent water? It is the bay area, so it is only a matter of time before some vegan basketball fan or other special diet fan sues for the right to bring their food in....
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:10 pm
coltraning wrote:

I agree - I think the Ws approach to food is exploitive and greedy. 4.50 for a 75 cent water? It is the bay area, so it is only a matter of time before some vegan basketball fan or other special diet fan sues for the right to bring their food in....

It can't happen soon enough. These prices are insane.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:51 am
#32 wrote:
coltraning wrote:

The only solution is to decrease the money that those affiliated with the nba (not just the players but they are definately included)

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:49 pm
coltraning wrote:I agree - I think the Ws approach to food is exploitive and greedy. 4.50 for a 75 cent water? It is the bay area, so it is only a matter of time before some vegan basketball fan or other special diet fan sues for the right to bring their food in....

4.50 for water . . . what is this, Woodstock '99?

You know what the sad thing is about the vegan thing? The A's ranked #1 one in vegetarian options for sporting arenas and I'm pretty sure the Warriors don't have anything but popcorn and peanuts.

They're vegans, Warriors, not circus animals. How about a veggie hotdog or some Chikn nuggets?
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:34 pm
#32 wrote:
coltraning wrote:

agreed - we are going to 4, count 'em, 4 games this year, the Suns, the Cavs, the Nuggets and the Suns again - just dropped $180 for 2 decent seats to the Cavs, will park and walk and eat beforehand and spend the $15 we save on parking on their jacked up drinks...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:13 pm
coltraning wrote:
#32 wrote:
coltraning wrote:

agreed - we are going to 4, count 'em, 4 games this year, the Suns, the Cavs, the Nuggets and the Suns again - just dropped $180 for 2 decent seats to the Cavs, will park and walk and eat beforehand and spend the $15 we save on parking on their jacked up drinks...

Smart thinking. I'd walk to save the $15 but I'm not too familiar with the area (I only go there for Warriors games), so I wouldn't know where to go. Possibly leave the ride in the Denny's parking lot a block away?
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:38 pm
#32 wrote:
coltraning wrote:
#32 wrote:
coltraning wrote:

Smart thinking. I'd walk to save the $15 but I'm not too familiar with the area (I only go there for Warriors games), so I wouldn't know where to go. Possibly leave the ride in the Denny's parking lot a block away?

The only problem I have with that is after a night game, you're walking on the streets of Oakland. And even just outside the entrance are bums just waiting for you. I take BART so I can't say much about this.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:49 am
#32 wrote:
coltraning wrote:

That's easy to fix. If people stop buying food or drinks at those prices, they will be forced to reduce them... of course, that's easier said than done.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:22 pm
Then F you too Thunder ***---030---***
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:28 pm
TMC wrote:
#32 wrote:
coltraning wrote:

That's easy to fix. If people stop buying food or drinks at those prices, they will be forced to reduce them... of course, that's easier said than done.

Well, that's an ideal situation... but I see them more likely raising the prices for those people that DO buy the food.

It's like the music industry; when all the file-sharing started, we figured CD's would get cheaper so the industry would survive... but the prices have spiked because they sell less CDs and want to make the same profit.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:21 pm
zero3zero wrote:Then F you too Thunder ***---030---***

Hey, my Aunt is a huge Dodgers fan and I've been to some games down there but you have to admit that they have some of the most idiotic fans around. They aren't all bad, but the majority of them are.

They show up in the top of the 3rd and leave by the bottom of the 6th. C'mon, that breaks like 18 man-laws.

Return to Sports Board