Allen Iverson..... A football superstar?

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:55 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:I remember, a couple of weeks before the season started, ESPN ranked the top 20 player in the nba. They had LeBron 1st and then the top 5 was something like Kobe, Garnett, Duncan and Wade. They had Iverson at 16th! Way below every other major player there is :oops:

I wonder what would happen if that same ranking were done by the players.

You'd find Allen Iverson top 10 definately and maybe top 5

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:55 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:yeah, scouts were saying that he'd be a surefire football hall of famer

I dunno. I watched the video and, yeah, it's impressive as hell... but it's against high school kids. You can't really declare a guy as a future NFL Hall-of-Famer until at least college... and, even then, it's a stretch.

Iverson's 6'1". Aside from running back (or, possibly, QB), I have a hard time imagining what he'd play in the NFL. He'd be like Warrick Dunn, to me. He's too short to recieve and too small to be on defense (too short for DB, too skinny for LB, and he'd get flattened as a safety).

The video makes a great case, but (based on his physical attributes) I think Iverson probably made the smart choice going for basketball (just like I believe Charlie Ward made the wrong choice not going to the NFL).
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:40 am
#32 wrote:I believe Charlie Ward made the wrong choice not going to the NFL).

I also agree totally! Ward was better at Football than basketball and could have been a fairly major player in the NFL

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:51 am
I'll say this: Charlie Ward was much better than Michael Vick in college... and he has all of Vick's physical gifts. I'll just leave it at that. Anything more is hearsay or rumor.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:09 am
migya wrote:
#32 wrote:I believe Charlie Ward made the wrong choice not going to the NFL).

I also agree totally! Ward was better at Football than basketball and could have been a fairly major player in the NFL

agree - of course, black qbs didn't exactly have a great shot in the league back when he came in...they wanted him at DB, and he wanted to play qb
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:23 am
#32 wrote:Iverson's 6'1". Aside from running back (or, possibly, QB), I have a hard time imagining what he'd play in the NFL. He'd be like Warrick Dunn, to me. He's too short to recieve and too small to be on defense (too short for DB, too skinny for LB, and he'd get flattened as a safety).

I can only see him at two positions:

1.- Being a QB a la Seneca Wallace.
2.- Being a WR a la Antwaan Randle El.

I don't think RB would be an option. Ditto with any defensive position.

#32 wrote: I believe Charlie Ward made the wrong choice not going to the NFL

He was too soft. At least, he said that he'd rather play bball and not having to go through the constant hits the NFL would mean...
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:34 am
#32 wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:yeah, scouts were saying that he'd be a surefire football hall of famer

I dunno. I watched the video and, yeah, it's impressive as hell... but it's against high school kids. You can't really declare a guy as a future NFL Hall-of-Famer until at least college... and, even then, it's a stretch.

Iverson's 6'1". Aside from running back (or, possibly, QB), I have a hard time imagining what he'd play in the NFL. He'd be like Warrick Dunn, to me. He's too short to recieve and too small to be on defense (too short for DB, too skinny for LB, and he'd get flattened as a safety).

The video makes a great case, but (based on his physical attributes) I think Iverson probably made the smart choice going for basketball (just like I believe Charlie Ward made the wrong choice not going to the NFL).

I'm not saying he would have been, I'm saying that scouts were saying he would have been.
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:02 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
#32 wrote:

I'm not saying he would have been, I'm saying that scouts were saying he would have been.

I know; I'm disagreeing with the scouts, not you. You can't blame the reporter.
Previous

Return to Sports Board