Zito signs with Giants

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:23 pm
Jeez, I'm not even asking that much out of him. Like I said, I don't think he's an all-star pitcher at this point to begin with. The only way he makes it is if no one on the Giants is better in a certain year, and with Cain, Sanchez and Lincecum coming into the fold the next couple years, I don't think Zito will even be the best pitcher on the Giants, let alone the whole team. If he makes an all-star appearance in the next few years where he's not the only Giant selected, he'll have far exceeded my expectations. I guess that's why I think the contract is so ridiculous in the first place - I don't even see Zito as a real all-star, and yet he's getting all this money. But it's not his fault he got this money, and I like the guy, so for now it's all good. But still insane. :wink:
Basketball hope in the City Of Dope?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:47 pm
I think he's an NL All-Star; I won't take that away from him.

I'd be nice for Cain and Zito to both get spots on the All-Star team. God knows, none of the other positions will.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:40 pm
#32 wrote: He won't burn out, like a Randy Johnson will. .

Cmon now Randy won a Cy young at the age of 40, thats hardly burning out. Also look at Roger Clemens and Nolan Ryan. If anything it's the power pitchers who last longer than the finesse guys with the exception of Knucklers and Jamie Moyer. Barry Zito will do better in the National league but not that much better. As an A's fan I was sick and tired of watching 5 IP 52 balls and 50 strikes. I personally hoped he would go to Texas so we could murder him 3 times a year. He's the type of pitcher the A's love to face, a guy with control problems. We would have him out by the 5th inning. At least now we still get to face him once a year. I predict a year of him going 16-8 with a 3.71 era and a .062 batting average. He was overpaid for by far.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:34 pm
Of course he was overpaid. There's no doubt about that. But I think you're being a little harsh on him. I know there were many, many, MANY A's fans that would have loved to keep Zito. On KNBR, he got more love from A's fans than Schmidt did from Giants' fans.

Any way you swing it, it's a good sign for the Giants.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:02 pm
I always had a soft spot for Zito and was very sad to see him go.

Yeah, the 5 ip, 6BB nights were frustrating but he would also throw gems to make up for them. The one thing that was always endearing as an A's fan was knowing how hard Zito prepares for each game. He isn't one of those players who just shows up and does his thing. As loopy as the guy is he busts balls preparing for starts. He is the antithesis to a fat dope like David Wells.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:42 pm
Dude, Armando Bennitez walks 6 batters AND gives up huge knocks (usually, in only ONE friggin' inning).
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:22 am
#32 wrote:Dude, Armando Bennitez walks 6 batters AND gives up huge knocks (usually, in only ONE friggin' inning).

The 9th to be exact. Armando just loves giving Giant fans heart attacks. Let's just give up a lead and lose. Or scare the home crowd by letting the opponent catch up but win just barely.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:53 am
I've said it many times: putting in Armando Bennitez feels EXACTLY the same as putting in a 3rd grader.

You're waiting for him to toss some meat down the pipe, he'll (inexplicably) come up with a strikeout or two on rare, RARE occasions... and, suddenly, a 3-run lead doesn't seem big enough. :roll:

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:48 pm
barry zito + matt cain + tim lincecum = happiness
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:05 pm
Don't forget Jonathan Sanchez. He's a savage, too.

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:22 pm
yeah im intrigued by the possibilities with these young arms.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:27 pm
I just hope we can keep them all.

Something's telling me the Yankee's are gonna seriously throw money at Cain...

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:33 pm
screw that, we own cain for at least 2 or 3 more years, sabean is in love with him, we will get an extention for him much like we did with lowry. we can only hope...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:11 am
I hope we can extend him... but the league is already taking notice. If he becomes an all-star before we resign him, you gotta believe New York is gonna be all over him.
Previous

Return to Sports Board