Zito signs with Giants

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:36 am
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Akh7v522MQLLtqAXtqO2_vI5nYcB?slug=ti-zito122806&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Being an A's fan I would much have him go to the Giants than Seattle or [shiver] Texas. Plus I don't think he would handle the New York media well.

But $126 million? I am going to force my first born kid to throw left handed.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:32 pm
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:08 pm
Good move if they didnt pay him so much. I still dont think they make the playoffs their lineup just isnt good enough.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:17 pm
the loss of Schmidt is balanced out, now let's see if they get anyone to protect flaxseed oil bonds...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:04 pm
YEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!! LOOKING FORWARD TO THE SEASON NOW! FINALLY A GOOD MOVE BY SABEAN!!!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:04 pm
Dubs4life wrote:Good move if they didnt pay him so much.

Its still a good move. Barry Zito is more than enough to make Giants fans instantly forget about Jason Schmidt.

Zito was the best free agent on the market, in my opinion. I'd have taken Zito over Schmidt, Soriano, Carlos Lee, ect. This was the best move of the offseason thus far.
Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:43 pm
Why 126m ? that way to much but still great signing by the gaints if only the warriors sign an star this offseason
This is the year
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:45 pm
I knew it. I knew he was going to stay here in the bay. Good thing too. I'd hate to see him land with those lame Yanks or head to the Rangers.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:54 pm
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:I knew it. I knew he was going to stay here in the bay. Good thing too. I'd hate to see him land with those lame Yanks or head to the Rangers.

Yeah, as an A's fan I'm happy he at least landed in the NL where he is harmless.
Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:00 am
First off, let me say I like Zito, and I'm happy he's on the Giants now. I'll enjoy watching him pitch until he starts to crap the bed at the end of his contract.

BUT. 7 years for ANY pitcher is insane. Certifiably insane. MAYBE, it would be an ok move for the top pitcher or 2nd or third best in baseball, but Zito is nowhere near that. Pitchers are more easily injured than other players and all it takes is little nagging injuries to completely thow off their motions.

Look at Zito's numbers from the past few seasons - he's been really mediocre since his cy young season in 2002. Look at this numbers over the past three years - one era over 4, two in the high-mid 3's, a whip of like 1.4, declining k/9 rates, and you're telling me that's worth $18 million dollars? That's $500,000 per start, people.

#32, in the other thread you said 7 years is not really that long. That's wrong. Find me any pitcher in the majors who has a contract that long right now, letalone one who's pitching well. 7 years is really pretty crazy. We are talking about the highest contract EVER for a pitcher in the history of baseball. There is really no precedent for this. And he's not even an elite pitcher anymore! There's all this talk about "He was the top pitcher on the market this offseason...", but really, who the hell else was on the market this offseason? Schmidt was the only real good pitcher (Matzusaka, but who knows how he'll do), and he's declining fast. Gil Meche? Jeff Suppan? Jeff Weaver? All Trash! It's not like the market was flooded with Santana's, and Zambrano's and Pedro's, and Zito was the big prize. If the market was filled with top-flight pitchers, Zito would be an afterthought other than the fact that he's a lefty. I'm really surprised that everyone has such little foresight to not see ANYTHING wrong with this deal at all. Listen to KNBR for a minute and everyone calling in iis all about it, and it sounds like that's the sentiment here, too. This is a lot of money folks, for a guy who is not even one of the best in the game, who only throws once every five games.

Ok, having said that, I am still excited for this in the short-term. Zito's curveball is a thing of beauty. Zito can be a very frustrating pitcher, though - just ask any A's fan. He has trouble in the first inning a lot. But the switch to the NL, the NL West in particular, and to PacBell will only help him. PacBell, however, plays pretty even to right-handed hitters as opposed to left-handed hitters, so the advantage for Zito will be a little less than if he were a righty fly-ball pitcher. Plus the Giants outfield is not gona be great defensively. Despite that, I expect his ERA to be around 3.6, maybe 7.5k/9, and hopefully around 17 wins. If he can produce those numbers, the Giants will have a really really good staff if Morris and Lowry rebound from last season. A lot of if's, but at leas I have a little more reason to be excited now.
Basketball hope in the City Of Dope?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:47 pm
baytobrooklyn wrote:#32, in the other thread you said 7 years is not really that long. That's wrong. Find me any pitcher in the majors who has a contract that long right now

There is none. But I think you're overlooking a few things.

First of all, Zito's a 28-year-old kid whose got plenty of gas left in his tank. If anything, he's only going to get better. He's a finese pitcher and they usually get better with age. He won't burn out, like a Randy Johnson will. Mike Stanton is well over 40 years old and he did an amazing job for San Fransisco's relief system this past year. We've only got Zito employed until he's 35 years old. Look at Greg Maddox's numbers at 35. Still pretty damn effective.

Secondly, Barry Zito (knock on wood) has never missed a start in his major league career! He's an iron man! If any pitcher in the league deserves that long of a contract, it's Zito. He's tough, he's composed, and he's still young.

I don't think you guys are looking at this right; try and understand this aquisition in baseball years (which is pretty much the equivalent of dog years, compared to every other sport out there). The Giants signing Barry Zito to this huge deal is pretty much exactly like when Gilbert Arenas went to Washington; he's still young, he's proven to have all-star talent, and he hasn't missed a game so far.

I know 7 years is a stretch, brooklyn, and I'm not saying that a 7-year contract should become something that a normal, everyday pitcher should get (or, hell, even most top pitchers), but I think the context justifies the sign. Combind all my reasons above with the fact that San Fransisco didn't want to get into another bidding match (since they lost their previous two this offseason), and you'll get their reasons.

Barry Zito is 85-4 when he has at least 4 runs of support. You can't tell me thats not worth hella money.
Role Player
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:22 pm
I agree with some of your points, #32. He is absolutely a work horse, and that is for sure worth something. And I've seen the stat when he gets 4 runs of support. And thatt's worth something, too. But the biggest contract for any pitcher in the history of baseball? I mean, I'm excited about this, as I've said before, but for the long-term, this deal is without precedent. If you give the biggest contract ever to a guy who's not even really close to the best in the game, you can't tell me that has a sizeable level of absurdity.

And about the great record with 4 runs of support - take a look at any good starting pitcher who gets 4 runs of support and they're gonna have a great record. I mean, if their ERA is under 4, it means they should win or get a no-decision every time! That stat doesn't really say too much. A pitcher's W-L record is the least important stat in terms of evaluating their performance. Also, you point out that he's 'proven all-star talent'. But he hasn't really been an all-star since 2003. Yeah, he was on the team last year, but only as a consolation prize, seeing as how every team gets at least one player represented (he was the only one from the A's on the team last year). So he hasn't really been a serious proven all-star for 4 years. And it's no sure bet he'll improve this or the next few years. Since 2003 he's been onthe decline. What makes you so sure he'll improve (aside from the league and park switch)? I just see all of those things and am shocked that he got so much money. Strictly performance-wise, he's not a pitcher who warrants that kind of contract.

But obviously there are other things involved here, as you've pointed out, #32. I think the whole 'losing out on other free agents' played a huge role in this signing. Sabean and McGowan were taking criticism for not doing enough this offseason, and they ended up making a splash with one of the best FA's on the market. It's like they almost had to to save face (even though fans like me would have been happy had they not signed any huge contracts). Also, the fact that Barry I is leaving after this season means they're gonna need someone to be the face of the franchise in years to come. And Zito's a pretty good pick for that, as he lives here, wanted to stay, people in the bay already know and like him, etc. So in those aspects, the signing makes a lot of sense to me. It just seems like those aspects have to do solely with projecting a good image to the more casual fans who have a lot of money to spend on going to games. It takes care of a lot of things for management and is a very calculated signing in terms of money. That's why I'm not the biggest fan of the signing. I think ultimately it has more to do with that side of things than the actual baseball performance. I know they're somewhat intertwined, but look at smaller market teams who have done well recently (A's, Twins, Marlins, D-Backs) and they haven't signed players for this reason.

It's fine and understandable that they want a good guy andn a good personailty as their #1 player. I just wish he was a better baseball player. Nevertheless, I'm very excited about this in the short-term. The next three years SHOULD be great from Zito. With Cain, Sanchez, Lowry, and their draft pick from last year Lincecum, they should have a great rotation for a while. I'm just skeptical as to whether Zito will be pitching at an $18M level in 5 years (if ever).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:52 pm
I think the expectations will be sky high for Zito. In that frame of mind, San Fransisco fans will never think Zito's pitching is good enough. Everytime he gets an L instead of a W, Giants fans have a reason to complain. That's never good, for either the players or the fans.

And, of course, there's going to be a lot of controversy when Cain starts outpitching Zito (which, I believe he will). KNBR callers won't EVER let that one go without mentioning it.
Role Player
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:18 pm
yeah, the expectation thing is worrisome. I actually won't have super high expectations for Zito. I know he's not a true ace, so I'm not expecting that out of him. If he can be durable and post a 3.5 era or so and win 16 games I'll be happy. I hope it doesn't get ugly when he starts to go on his usual increadibly slow april start.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:22 pm
If Barry Zito can prove to be worthy of the top of the rotation, than I'm happy. We lost an aging all-star caliber guy in exchange for a (price-ier), younger all-star caliber guy.

For that kind of money, though... I don't think it's unreasonable to expect an all-star spot. I'm not like those non-thinking NY fans or Philly fans: I don't expect Zito to lead us to a championship... and I'm not even demanding a Cy Young out of him. But all-star? Yeah, I want that much. If Zito can be an all-star 4 or 5 times out of his 7 years, that'll do.
Next

Return to Sports Board