Kobe Bryant's 81 point game

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:26 pm
Just saw the game and it was a heck of a performance but he took about 90% of the Lakers' shots! He shot almost every time down the floor and had quite a few misses actually.

Definately a historical game and something I will never forget but not the greatest individual performance I've ever seen. I'd have to say Jordan, in the game he scored 55 I think it was against the Suns in the 1992/93 finals, was probably the best I've ever sen because there was alot of big shots, some that were difficult, and the time was of much more importance, in the finals, in a close game

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:34 pm
It was a great game. It was definately not the best of all time or even close to it. He took as many shots as he needed to because he was on fire and his teammates all were doing terribly and his team was down 15.
ImageImage
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:22 am
i think the same thing!!

But i also think of Arenas performances of late in the A.I/Bryant mould... these guys can drop a lot of points and hopefully mr Missippi can emulate the Arenas,Bryant and the Answers moves by just busting guts out of the standstill.

Lets go Hibachi!!!
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:21 pm
The numbers speak for themselves. Only one guy's gotten to triple-digits in a game. Wilt's 100 point game takes the cake. I've heard all the excuses. "Hey was just taller than everyone else!", "He was playing against smaller guys!", "All his shots were inside!"... blah blah blah. It matters not. Wilt's STILL got 19 points on the next closest guy, 40 years or so after setting the record.

Hail Wilt.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:01 pm
Talking about Kobe.

The most obvious example to use here is that it is easier to score a ton of points on open layups than it is to score half as many points on contested shots with two or three guys in your face. Point is, Kobe's points did not come on very contested shots like Jordan's did in a number of games a decade or so ago. Makes a big difference

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:36 am
#32 wrote:The numbers speak for themselves. Only one guy's gotten to triple-digits in a game. Wilt's 100 point game takes the cake. I've heard all the excuses. "Hey was just taller than everyone else!", "He was playing against smaller guys!", "All his shots were inside!"... blah blah blah. It matters not. Wilt's STILL got 19 points on the next closest guy, 40 years or so after setting the record.

Hail Wilt.

Yes. Especially since most of the fourth quarter of that game was dedicated to trying to stop him from getting 100. (Hack a Shaq, he was a poor FT%, 51% on his career I believe).
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:29 am
I still maintain Jordan's 63 against the celtics in the 86 playoffs was the toughest monster points game. Wilt was guarded by a 6'6" center who fouled out playing for the worst team in the league in a year that had the highest average score per team in the history of the game on a day Wilt's team scored over 160 points -no doubt Wilt got the most points, but to me, the quality of the opposition is relevant. Take it to another sport. Were the hitters really that much better in the days of routine .400 hitters, or did it maybe have something to do with pitchers routinely going nine innings, and zero black and latino players in the game? :roll:
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:55 am
coltraning wrote:I still maintain Jordan's 63 against the celtics in the 86 playoffs was the toughest monster points game. Wilt was guarded by a 6'6" center who fouled out playing for the worst team in the league in a year that had the highest average score per team in the history of the game on a day Wilt's team scored over 160 points -no doubt Wilt got the most points, but to me, the quality of the opposition is relevant. Take it to another sport. Were the hitters really that much better in the days of routine .400 hitters, or did it maybe have something to do with pitchers routinely going nine innings, and zero black and latino players in the game? :roll:

amen. Wilt was guarded by a 6'5 guy on a team that allowed 119.7 ppg. And they kept him in in a blowout. In an 84 foot court (more possesions).

Take into account the pace of the opponent, the height of the opponent, the quality of the opponent, the length of the court, the number of minutes, and the fact that he was in in a blowout and his 100 point game is really less impressive than a lot of other games, even with the 25 boards.
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:17 am
coltraning wrote:I still maintain Jordan's 63 against the celtics in the 86 playoffs was the toughest monster points game. Wilt was guarded by a 6'6" center who fouled out playing for the worst team in the league in a year that had the highest average score per team in the history of the game on a day Wilt's team scored over 160 points -no doubt Wilt got the most points, but to me, the quality of the opposition is relevant. Take it to another sport. Were the hitters really that much better in the days of routine .400 hitters, or did it maybe have something to do with pitchers routinely going nine innings, and zero black and latino players in the game? :roll:

:D

Again, beautifully said colt. Like a solo by jimmy hendrix.

The number of points Chamberlain scored was great but in the modern era, defense is better, talent is better, fuk, it's all better! That's the truth!

I haven't seen the Jordan 63 point game but like I said previously, his 55 point game (I think that was the amount he scored) against the Suns in the 1992/93 finals series was great! The Suns tries stopping the prik on nearly every occassion but the cunnt made the shots anyway!

FUK YOU JORDAN! YOU WERE NEVER MY FAVOURITE PLAYER! :mrgreen:

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:25 am
migya wrote:The Suns tries stopping the prik on nearly every occassion

they tried to stop him nearly every occasion? that's so rare in basketball for teams to try the majority of the time :mrgreen:
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:34 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:

amen. Wilt was guarded by a 6'5 guy on a team that allowed 119.7 ppg. And they kept him in in a blowout. In an 84 foot court (more possesions).

Take into account the pace of the opponent, the height of the opponent, the quality of the opponent, the length of the court, the number of minutes, and the fact that he was in in a blowout and his 100 point game is really less impressive than a lot of other games,

That's it! All this means that Chamberlain's performance translates to about a 50 point game nowadays against a team like the Spurs or another good defensive team.

tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:even with the 25 boards.

You just threw that in there to stir #32 now didn't ya :wink:

I remember reading an article on ESPNnba about a year and a bit ago written by Stu Jackson or someone with a name similar to that, going on a bout a hypothetical career if Chamberlain played nowadays and he went on to use actual happenings of Chamberlain's career. It started with the beginning of his career, in the 1995/96 season or thereabouts, and also included hypothetical things like him being married to Parmela Anderson, having some huge house and driving some hotted up car etc. I distinctly remember the writer going on about how Chamberlain scored 100 points in a game one faithful night and I stopped reading and started laughing! No way would that fool score anywhere near that much nowadays!
It also went on to say that only Shaq was able to beat Chamberlain, showing the writer's view that Shaq would be better if the two went against one another in their primes, something I also believe but hard to judge.

I believe that only a guard will ever score over 100 points, if it happens at all, because a guard is faster, handles the ball himself and therefore doesn't need a team mate to get him the ball and has a three point shot, which inevitably would rack up the score quicker! I'm thinkin, and it is only an estimate of a possibility, that Gerald Green could be the guy to score over 100, if it is ever to be done. I've only seen clips of him but he is develoiping fast and is very young still. TMac, at his best, could also do it but he's not the same anymore with that back so he likely won't even score over 50 again

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:36 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
migya wrote:The Suns tries stopping the prik on nearly every occassion

they tried to stop him nearly every occasion? that's so rare in basketball for teams to try the majority of the time :mrgreen:

hehe, smart arse!

The Suns defense got much better that series compared to what it was for the whole season and playoffs before then (except the first 2 games of the series, which were in Phoenix, where the Bulls blew them out)

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:42 am
It was Scoop Jackson (stu jackson is David Stern's right hand man), the best writer in slam magazine who became the worst writer on ESPN. some of his memorable quotes include

"I am a racist. Sometimes I hate white people because they are white"

"I'm not gay but larry bird gave me a hard on"

"The new jersey nets will win the championship this year"

"I really don't know why they still let me write collumns since I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about"

His article about wilt was a joke, though it was entertaining. He writes fiction, not fact.

If anybody scored 100 in this day and age it would be Kobe, Tmac, Gilbert, Dwade, or Lebron. Though Kobe would probably stop at 99 as a publicity stunt to show that he respected wilt. And even if he was 45/45 from the field people would be on him for the number of shots he took.

Gerald Green is overrated because he's a celtic. The celtic fans are just louder and whinier than anybody else. They talk about their team like it's an allstar team while whining that pierce has no supporting cast (he doesn't have a supporting cast but you can't have your cake and eat it too) while saying that pierce is the best player since jordan.
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:07 am
Yea, well.......................... :?

My point was that Chamberlain wouldn't be anywhere near as good in this day and age

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:43 am
coltraning wrote:I still maintain Jordan's 63 against the celtics in the 86 playoffs was the toughest monster points game.

Yep. And doing it in the playoffs makes it even more impressive. I hope you're downloading this game, migya. Then we can really talk about comparisons with Kobe's 81 (not many, to be honest. Kobe's game is the least impressive high scoring performance I've seen)

migya wrote:I believe that only a guard will ever score over 100 points, if it happens at all, because a guard is faster, handles the ball himself and therefore doesn't need a team mate to get him the ball and has a three point shot, which inevitably would rack up the score quicker! I'm thinkin, and it is only an estimate of a possibility, that Gerald Green could be the guy to score over 100, if it is ever to be done. I've only seen clips of him but he is develoiping fast and is very young still. TMac, at his best, could also do it but he's not the same anymore with that back so he likely won't even score over 50 again

No one can score 100 points in currentl bball. If it happens, it will be the opposing team's fault more than the player merit.

And is it me or is Gerald Green seriously overrated?. The only impressive thing I've seen from him was a dunk during summer league in his rookie season.
Next

Return to Sports Board