Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:50 pm
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:
migya wrote:
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:
migya wrote:
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:True but Kobe deserved MVP also. Sure he had Odom and Kwame, but neither stayed consistent enough every night for Kobe to not have to put up 30+. And even though it wasn't much, he got them to the 7th seed, especially when pretty much everyone doubted this team and thought they'd be a lottery once again.

I totally disagree with Kobe being considered MVP last season! He raised his scoring yes, but the guy was not a team player. Iverson has done what Kobe did last season for years but with a less talented team even and he only got one MVP - The season he took his team to the finals!

So what if he's done it for years? Iverson did in the East. The weak conference where the two top seeds have actual winning records and the rest are barely over .500. Not only did Kobe defy all odds, but he carried this team alone, in the West. Now you can define MVP anyway you want, but Kobe was the most valuable that season to his team. Without him, the Lakers would have surely been a top 3 lottery pick.

Last season I would have said the same thing but after what happened this season, with the Lakers winning without Kobe, I'm not so sure he is such a one man team and see Odom as a VERY valuable player that makes the others better than what they actually are!

My point is that you have to make your team a real winner and the Lakers were nowhere near that last season. Nash is what makes the Suns a great team as can be seen by the many more wins they have had since he has been there compared to before he arrived

True. But now that the Lakers are alive with guys like Walton, Turiaf, and Kwame, I'd think so too. Those guys who were no where to be seen last year are now contributing.

Also, about Kobe's scoring performance this year. I'm just curious, is it really the new ball that is affecting his scoring performance in a negative way and helping out guys like Redd in a positive way?

A) MVP will always be an award for a contender team
B) the new ball ain't affecting Kobe. Not even the knee surgery is effecting kobe. Having teammates is effecting kobe.
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:53 pm
TMC wrote:I'm a little late in this thread...

Even tho Nash is being the main contender for the MVP so far, I don't think he'll win it. Not having won two in a row... He would have to average 20 assists per game to have a chance. Not gonna happen.

That's what we said last year. "Every player who's won back to back MVPs is a legend. No way Nash deserves to join those ranks, even if he deserves the award"
TMC wrote:To me, the contenders are Lebron (needs to improve, tho, bot his game and the Cavs record), Kobe and Yao. The way the season is going, I'd be extremely surprised if one of those three is not the MVP at season's end.

Lebron needs to improve, but I'd be shocked if he didn't get the award because there will always be kobe haters (and kobe's had a lot of years better than this), Yao haters (he may always win the allstar vote because he's chinese, but there are no chinese sports analysts voting for MVP), and Lebron needs to be made a messiah already.
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:21 pm
You make a REAL attractive case for Nash, Pest... but I just can't believe that we can declare an MVP when we're only 20 games out.

What if Nash blew out his knee tomorrow?

I mean, of course, if Nash played at this level all year long, the trophy is as good as his. But anything can happen. We still have 3/4's of the season left.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:53 pm
#32 wrote:You make a REAL attractive case for Nash, Pest... but I just can't believe that we can declare an MVP when we're only 20 games out.

What if Nash blew out his knee tomorrow?

I mean, of course, if Nash played at this level all year long, the trophy is as good as his. But anything can happen. We still have 3/4's of the season left.

Well yeah obviously, that's just an "if the season ended today" type thing. Obviously stats wax and wane throughout the season
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:19 pm
I'm with TMC on this. Nash may well DESERVE it 3 years in a row, but hen would have to just put up astonishing #s, like 20/15 to get it over Lebron or Yao or Kobe or even Duncan
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:10 pm
I really think Nash deserves all the recognition he has gotten. Not many players in nba history have meant this much to their team's success. His numbers this season are amazing so the guy is improving personally as well as the team

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:16 am
migya wrote:I really think Nash deserves all the recognition he has gotten. Not many players in nba history have meant this much to their team's success. His numbers this season are amazing so the guy is improving personally as well as the team

Yeah, but the league needs to sell it's stars... and it's harder to sell a guy whose game is based on improving other players. Add to that the Suns don't have much success in the playoffs (I'm talking at least getting to the finals) and Nash, even tho he may deserve it, it's a tough choice for the league.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:59 pm
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:I really think Nash deserves all the recognition he has gotten. Not many players in nba history have meant this much to their team's success. His numbers this season are amazing so the guy is improving personally as well as the team

Yeah, but the league needs to sell it's stars... and it's harder to sell a guy whose game is based on improving other players. Add to that the Suns don't have much success in the playoffs (I'm talking at least getting to the finals) and Nash, even tho he may deserve it, it's a tough choice for the league.

That's a debateable point as nash has got MVP the last two seasons. I'm all for him getting it again if he keeps this up

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:50 am
migya wrote:That's a debateable point as nash has got MVP the last two seasons.

That's what I'm saying. That's a point against him. No matter if he deserves it more than others, he'll only win it if he's CLEARLY the best player. If it's a close pick, it won't be Nash.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:05 am
TMC wrote:

That's what I'm saying. That's a point against him. No matter if he deserves it more than others, he'll only win it if he's CLEARLY the best player. If it's a close pick, it won't be Nash.

But LeBron and Wade were amazing last season and their teams did great, especially Wade's and Nash still got it. It may just happen again this season and I'm not against it

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:07 pm
TMC wrote:

I understand what you're saying (migya doesn't) but I think that you forget that the MVP award is chosen by sports writers and each individual sports writer is not going to think "hmmmm..... this is an anonymous vote..... but he's won it twice I want to give it to somebody else because the league needs more money"
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:02 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:I understand what you're saying (migya doesn't) but I think that you forget that the MVP award is chosen by sports writers and each individual sports writer is not going to think "hmmmm..... this is an anonymous vote..... but he's won it twice I want to give it to somebody else because the league needs more money"

True... but I just think that the league will try to sell more other players. I mean, they won't say "hey, guys, we want xxx to win", but they can be more subtle... like giving more awards (like player of the week or month, although I'm not sure who gives those awards. I suppose it's the league, but I don't know for certain) for other candidates and similar moves.

Still, some people will pick the player they think deserves it more... while other will be more "influenceable".
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:33 am
the Suns are on a 12 game streak. Just for sake of argument, let's say they win 51 of their next 60 and finish 66-16...to do that in a conference as loaded as the West, how could you NOT give it to him? Or, if they win 40 of their next 45, he gets back spasms and they go 8-8 without him, again, you make the case. We shall see...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:03 am
coltraning wrote:the Suns are on a 12 game streak. Just for sake of argument, let's say they win 51 of their next 60 and finish 66-16...to do that in a conference as loaded as the West, how could you NOT give it to him?

If that happens, he'll get it, no doubt. My only concern is if it's close between him and other players.

Either way, doesn't matter much right now. The seasons has just started. There will be time to talk about it after the all star weekend. Then the race for the MVP will really start.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:09 am
coltraning wrote:the Suns are on a 12 game streak. Just for sake of argument, let's say they win 51 of their next 60 and finish 66-16...to do that in a conference as loaded as the West, how could you NOT give it to him? Or, if they win 40 of their next 45, he gets back spasms and they go 8-8 without him, again, you make the case. We shall see...

This has already been shown to be the case with the Suns the last two seasons. Nash truly is the most valuable player there is because of the difference he makes to his team.

Would not be surprised if the glamour boy Lebron gets it but right now, it should definately be Nash who is most worthy

PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board