The possibility of a steve nash repeat

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:57 am
I know that they wouldn't give it to him three years in a row because he isn't enough of a legend.

But didn't we say that last year?

Right now, Nash is averaging some of the most absurd numbers in the history of the league. 21.5 ppg, 11.5 apg, 52.5% shooting, 52% three point shooting, 89.5% ft shooting. The best stats of his two MVP career

And his team is on a seven game winning streak.

And who is competing with him?

No way 'Melo is given an MVP before his 03 compatriots. Even if he's the most deserving of the four right now.

Bosh ain't winning

Wade ain't winning and has, if anything, backpedalled since last year

Lebron is playing very well, but his team has the same record as Melo's and they're in the east. When you get worse and the MVP gets better you generally don't win mvp

Yao ming is another candidate.

But who would vote for him?

Dirk Nowitsky might be the top candidate. If it weren't for the fact that people generally aren't given MVPs when their stats decline noticeably.

There is no chance in hell that Boozer is given MVP, unless Utah wins 65 games. He just doesn't have superstar qualities

Kobe is having a great all-around season, including making some DPOY noise, but would they really give the award to a guy whose ppg dropped by nine? whose team, while 12-6, has played fourteen home games?

With only slightly worse stats than nash, and a far better team, Duncan is Nash's biggest competition. But Duncan has also won 2 MVPs already. And having one two MVPs already is the biggest thing against Nash.

Nash
Kobe
Melo
Duncan
Yao

Those are really the five contenders right now (by contender I mean somebody who I wouldn't argue against if they won it, not anybody that could win it). Kind of funny that there's one of each position so you can't compare them
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:13 am
I really want Nash to win another MVP and reckon he is the most deserving so far this season! His numbers truly are amazing and the guy's humble attitude makes him more appealing than anyone else!

Steve Nash has done what Stockton sort of did but he is getting the recognition that John stockton should have gotten as well!

All blessings to Steve Nash

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:05 am
I wouldn't be upset if Nash got MVP... but I'm pulling for LeBron...
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:12 pm
John Patrick wrote:I wouldn't be upset if Nash got MVP... but I'm pulling for LeBron...

I'd like to see lebron get it but so far this season he hasn't improved (last season I personally would have liked to see lebron get MVP) and nash has. Nash's team is better and nash has improved from an MVP season once again. of course it's REALLY EARLY on but if the season ended today I'd give the award to nash.
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:21 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
John Patrick wrote:I wouldn't be upset if Nash got MVP... but I'm pulling for LeBron...

I'd like to see lebron get it but so far this season he hasn't improved (last season I personally would have liked to see lebron get MVP) and nash has. Nash's team is better and nash has improved from an MVP season once again. of course it's REALLY EARLY on but if the season ended today I'd give the award to nash.

Yeah... but if LeBron turns the Cavs into a successful team he will get extra consideration causes there's no one else on that team who's great.
Nash has Amare, Marion, Barbosa...
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:43 pm
John Patrick wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:

Yeah... but if LeBron turns the Cavs into a successful team he will get extra consideration causes there's no one else on that team who's great.

yeah, I guess the thing is that, last season IMO Lebron deserved MVP as much as anybody but didn't get it. so I don't see how they'd give it to him for doing the exact same thing as last year.
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:04 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
John Patrick wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:

yeah, I guess the thing is that, last season IMO Lebron deserved MVP as much as anybody but didn't get it. so I don't see how they'd give it to him for doing the exact same thing as last year.

Good point. It can be argued both ways especially if he boosts his team success.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:44 pm
John Patrick wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
John Patrick wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:

Good point. It can be argued both ways especially if he boosts his team success.

True but Kobe deserved MVP also. Sure he had Odom and Kwame, but neither stayed consistent enough every night for Kobe to not have to put up 30+. And even though it wasn't much, he got them to the 7th seed, especially when pretty much everyone doubted this team and thought they'd be a lottery once again.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:02 pm
John Patrick wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:

But Nash is responsible for those guys being better and Nash is the major difference between the Suns being average and one of the best teams there is. The season before Nash went to the Suns, that team was quite awful but Nash became the brains that made it all work and for that (as well as his own very good production), he has been deserving of the awards

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:05 pm
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:
John Patrick wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
John Patrick wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:

True but Kobe deserved MVP also. Sure he had Odom and Kwame, but neither stayed consistent enough every night for Kobe to not have to put up 30+. And even though it wasn't much, he got them to the 7th seed, especially when pretty much everyone doubted this team and thought they'd be a lottery once again.

I totally disagree with Kobe being considered MVP last season! He raised his scoring yes, but the guy was not a team player. Iverson has done what Kobe did last season for years but with a less talented team even and he only got one MVP - The season he took his team to the finals!

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:18 pm
migya wrote:
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:
John Patrick wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
John Patrick wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:

I totally disagree with Kobe being considered MVP last season! He raised his scoring yes, but the guy was not a team player. Iverson has done what Kobe did last season for years but with a less talented team even and he only got one MVP - The season he took his team to the finals!

So what if he's done it for years? Iverson did in the East. The weak conference where the two top seeds have actual winning records and the rest are barely over .500. Not only did Kobe defy all odds, but he carried this team alone, in the West. Now you can define MVP anyway you want, but Kobe was the most valuable that season to his team. Without him, the Lakers would have surely been a top 3 lottery pick.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:19 pm
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:
migya wrote:
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:True but Kobe deserved MVP also. Sure he had Odom and Kwame, but neither stayed consistent enough every night for Kobe to not have to put up 30+. And even though it wasn't much, he got them to the 7th seed, especially when pretty much everyone doubted this team and thought they'd be a lottery once again.

So what if he's done it for years? Iverson did in the East. The weak conference where the two top seeds have actual winning records and the rest are barely over .500. Not only did Kobe defy all odds, but he carried this team alone, in the West. Now you can define MVP anyway you want, but Kobe was the most valuable that season to his team. Without him, the Lakers would have surely been a top 3 lottery pick.

Last season I would have said the same thing but after what happened this season, with the Lakers winning without Kobe, I'm not so sure he is such a one man team and see Odom as a VERY valuable player that makes the others better than what they actually are!

My point is that you have to make your team a real winner and the Lakers were nowhere near that last season. Nash is what makes the Suns a great team as can be seen by the many more wins they have had since he has been there compared to before he arrived

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:48 pm
About Kobe

Some people will never get that you NEED to have a good team to win MVP. it's most valuable player, not best player. Only three or four times has a player not on one of the top two teams won the MVP.

Kobe is actually more deserving this year of MVP than he was last year. His team is better and HES ACTUALLY PLAYING DEFENSE :-o :shock:

Yeah I know he made all-defense first team last year but if you watched him he wasn't actually playing D. now he's shutting people down. and passing. and rebounding.
ImageImage
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:47 am
migya wrote:
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:
migya wrote:
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:True but Kobe deserved MVP also. Sure he had Odom and Kwame, but neither stayed consistent enough every night for Kobe to not have to put up 30+. And even though it wasn't much, he got them to the 7th seed, especially when pretty much everyone doubted this team and thought they'd be a lottery once again.

Last season I would have said the same thing but after what happened this season, with the Lakers winning without Kobe, I'm not so sure he is such a one man team and see Odom as a VERY valuable player that makes the others better than what they actually are!

My point is that you have to make your team a real winner and the Lakers were nowhere near that last season. Nash is what makes the Suns a great team as can be seen by the many more wins they have had since he has been there compared to before he arrived

True. But now that the Lakers are alive with guys like Walton, Turiaf, and Kwame, I'd think so too. Those guys who were no where to be seen last year are now contributing.

Also, about Kobe's scoring performance this year. I'm just curious, is it really the new ball that is affecting his scoring performance in a negative way and helping out guys like Redd in a positive way?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:57 am
I'm a little late in this thread...

Even tho Nash is being the main contender for the MVP so far, I don't think he'll win it. Not having won two in a row... He would have to average 20 assists per game to have a chance. Not gonna happen.

To me, the contenders are Lebron (needs to improve, tho, bot his game and the Cavs record), Kobe and Yao. The way the season is going, I'd be extremely surprised if one of those three is not the MVP at season's end.
Next

Return to Sports Board