62 vs. 81

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21446
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:01 pm
#32 wrote:Yes he is... and so is Gilbert Arenas, so whats your point...? :scratch:



Arenas plays PG effectively, passing enough and getting guys like Butler and Jamison involved while Bryant, sometimes underrated in his passing, doesn't get his teammates involved enough
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13539
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:10 pm
Arenas, on his career, averages 5.5 APG in 37 MPG.
Bryant, on his career, averages 4.5 APG in 35 MPG.

You're telling me Arenas (who plays PG and, thus, has the ball more often than Bryant) is a better playmaker because he gets 1 more dime in 2 more minutes every night than one of the league's most ball-hogging SG's!?! :-k

Dunno if I buy it... :bs:
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21446
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:16 pm
The Lakers now start with Odom playmaking while the Wizards rely on Arenas for the playmaking and scoring. Take away Arenas and the Wizards are a disgrace. The Lakers were actually winning quite a bit without Bryant at the start of the season
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13539
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:23 pm
Let us examine that claim, shall we...?

Arenas hasn't missed a game yet this year. In fact, in the past 3 seasons (counting this one), he's only missed 4 games... and the Wizards were 3-1 without him. Not quite disgraceful, if you ask me.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21446
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:57 pm
You've just got to look at what Arenas does to see how valuable he is. Jamison and Butler need a great player next to them to be effective
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:40 am
migya wrote:You've just got to look at what Arenas does to see how valuable he is. Jamison and Butler need a great player next to them to be effective


If you change coaches (I mean, Eddie Jordan on the Lakers and P-Jax on the Wiz), the Lakers don't even make the playoffs while Washington is a contender in the east. That's how important coaching is. My point is... even tho both are ball hogs, winning numbers don't mean much when you compare them.

Also, Butler is having his best season since coming to the league playing with Arenas. Guess when he had the worst?... Yep, playing with Kobe. Again, coaching matters, as that was the year Jackson wasn't coaching the Lakers.

I find much more impressive what Arenas is doing with an inept coach than Kobe's numbers in the Lakers scheme.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13539
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:49 pm
Arenas is not a distributer. Thats the only point. He and Kobe are both equally bad ball-hogs.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2558
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:53 am
Location: where you aren't
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:57 pm
I agree, Gil is a ball hog, however it's unfair to use his career stats. Gil is 24 and has averaged 6 apg three times (half of his seasons). Kobe has averaged 6 apg once in 11 seasons. I wouldn't say Gil isn't a ball hog, but he's certainly less of a ball hog than kobe.[/list]
ImageImage
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21446
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:27 pm
Arenas is one of those players that is in a position where he has to shoot more and score more for his team to have a chance. He probably would be more of a distributor if he had more talent on his team. Kobe is a hog and would probably complain if he had more talent on his team, like he did when Shaq was there because he wanted everything all to himself
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13539
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:38 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:I agree, Gil is a ball hog, however it's unfair to use his career stats. Gil is 24 and has averaged 6 apg three times (half of his seasons). Kobe has averaged 6 apg once in 11 seasons. I wouldn't say Gil isn't a ball hog, but he's certainly less of a ball hog than kobe.[/list]

But you also need to keep in mind... Kobe plays shooting guard (which is not a role where you're required - or even expected - to distribute)... whereas Gilbert Arenas is his team's so-called playmaker.

If Gilbert were a shooting guard, it would be much harder to call him a ball-hog (and, even then, he wouldn't even be in Kobe's league)... but since he's supposed to be his team's distributer, its a lot easier to say he hogs the ball.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2558
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:53 am
Location: where you aren't
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:51 pm
#32 wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:I agree, Gil is a ball hog, however it's unfair to use his career stats. Gil is 24 and has averaged 6 apg three times (half of his seasons). Kobe has averaged 6 apg once in 11 seasons. I wouldn't say Gil isn't a ball hog, but he's certainly less of a ball hog than kobe.[/list]

But you also need to keep in mind... Kobe plays shooting guard (which is not a role where you're required - or even expected - to distribute)... whereas Gilbert Arenas is his team's so-called playmaker.

If Gilbert were a shooting guard, it would be much harder to call him a ball-hog (and, even then, he wouldn't even be in Kobe's league)... but since he's supposed to be his team's distributer, its a lot easier to say he hogs the ball.

I know, I agree that he's a ballhog (see bolded), just wasn't sure where you were going with the kobe arenas comparisons since as far as I'm concerned nobody is in kobe's league in terms of ballhogging
ImageImage
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:49 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:I agree, Gil is a ball hog, however it's unfair to use his career stats. Gil is 24 and has averaged 6 apg three times (half of his seasons). Kobe has averaged 6 apg once in 11 seasons. I wouldn't say Gil isn't a ball hog, but he's certainly less of a ball hog than kobe.


AI is also considered a ball hog and he's had seasons over 8 assist per game. I don't think stats matter much in the way people perceive a certain player.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21446
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:49 pm
TMC wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:I agree, Gil is a ball hog, however it's unfair to use his career stats. Gil is 24 and has averaged 6 apg three times (half of his seasons). Kobe has averaged 6 apg once in 11 seasons. I wouldn't say Gil isn't a ball hog, but he's certainly less of a ball hog than kobe.


AI is also considered a ball hog and he's had seasons over 8 assist per game. I don't think stats matter much in the way people perceive a certain player.




What that says about Iverson is that he is very efficient as he has had garbage to pass to all these years!
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13539
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:20 pm
TMC wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:I agree, Gil is a ball hog, however it's unfair to use his career stats. Gil is 24 and has averaged 6 apg three times (half of his seasons). Kobe has averaged 6 apg once in 11 seasons. I wouldn't say Gil isn't a ball hog, but he's certainly less of a ball hog than kobe.


AI is also considered a ball hog and he's had seasons over 8 assist per game. I don't think stats matter much in the way people perceive a certain player.

Exactly. You can average 8 dimes a night... but still be taking 10-20 shots more than everyone else. If Iverson's proven anything, he's proven that.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:21 am
#32 wrote:
TMC wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:I agree, Gil is a ball hog, however it's unfair to use his career stats. Gil is 24 and has averaged 6 apg three times (half of his seasons). Kobe has averaged 6 apg once in 11 seasons. I wouldn't say Gil isn't a ball hog, but he's certainly less of a ball hog than kobe.


AI is also considered a ball hog and he's had seasons over 8 assist per game. I don't think stats matter much in the way people perceive a certain player.

Exactly. You can average 8 dimes a night... but still be taking 10-20 shots more than everyone else. If Iverson's proven anything, he's proven that.


Come on. He never had any decent help in Philly (other than Stackhouse at the beginning of his career). 8 assists in that team is pretty remarkable. It's like 12 in Phoenix.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests