The "give praise" thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:28 am
The idea is to talk about unknown players the we like for some reason and that we're sure they deserve more play time than they're getting. Everybody knows what I'm talking about, the Ike Diogu's of this world. One rule, stay away from the Warriors, as we all know everything there is to know about our current players and they are being discussed in multiple threads on the board.

This thread is to discover new stars to others (and, as I made the thread, here's another fascist rule: MARCUS BANKS IS NOT ALLOWED AS A FUTURE STAR :mrgreen: )

I'll start:

The Blazers rookie pg Sergio Rodriguez.

I consider him the pg of the future for Portland, not Jarret Jack (who I foresee as a good bench player, but not starting anywhere). Jack is a better scorer and defender right now, but Sergio is a pure pg (and probably the worst defender of his team, which probably is the main reason he ain't playing much, given how bad the Blazers need a pg)

All he needs are minutes to show his value. Take his line from last night as an example: 8 assists in only 12 minutes of play... It takes Jack a week to get 8 assists. I only hope that that game can lead McMillan to give him more minutes and, if that happens, he'll be starting by the all star weekend.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:41 am
this thread is not really a thread that should be started right after the season started
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:46 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:this thread is not really a thread that should be started right after the season started

Could be... but better now than never. :wink:

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:10 am
Banks is still #32's sleeper to be the next star PG***030***
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:13 am
zero3zero wrote:Banks is still #32's sleeper to be the next star PG***030***

I said no Banks Image

:mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:16 pm
zero3zero wrote:Banks is still #32's sleeper to be the next star PG***030***

I dunno if Banks will be a star... but he's starter-quality, no doubt.

I got some praise to give, though...

Ugh... whoops... :mrgreen:

Here we go. Eddie Griffin was the top high school player in the country a few years back (before this kid named 'LeBron' stole all his thunder). The guy's one of the few, legit shot-blockers left in this league. He's not a "go up straight to avoid the foul" shot-blocker; he's a full-on, nasty ass, stuffage machine. Griffin was given a pathetic 19 minutes a night last season... and averaged a career-high 2.1 BPG (appearing in 70 contests). Plus, he still managed to squeak out 5.6 RPG off the bench.

Per 48, his swat numbers were among the league's best (second only to Alonzo Mourning). All Eddie Griffin needs is a role. Unfortunately, his undersized 6'10" frame means that playing center full-time (at a paper-thin 230 pounds) is unlikely. So far, Eddie Griffin has suffered behind established players in Houston and Garnett-City, respectively.

If Griffin had a role, he'd blow up into the force that he's capable of being. Even this early in the year, Griffin's proven that all he needs is minutes. In a season-high 16 minutes during opening night, Griffin put up 8 points, 7 boards, and 3 blocks. That was during barely over 15 ticks. Imagine what the kid could do in 30.

Don't sleep on this kid, Warrior fans. He punished us last season
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:43 pm
TMC wrote: as I made the thread, here's another fascist rule: MARCUS BANKS IS NOT ALLOWED AS A FUTURE STAR :mrgreen: )

Screw you! Marcus Banks is great! :mrgreen:

No Warriors players, FUK, I wanted to give props to dunnyboy! :mrgreen:

Kendrick Perkins.
This guy is a total monster that has yet to be given much of a chance, like his fellow monster teammate Al Jefferson.
Last season in 19.5 minutes, Perkins averaged 5.9rebs, 5.2blks and a great 1.5blks a game! So far this season, he is averaging 5,8rebs, 6.3pts, 1.8blks and 68.6FG% in just 20.75 minutes!

This guy is going to blow up soon into a great Center who is a defensive giant!

I'd love to get this guy and who knows what the chances will be with Ainge having to think about all the young guys to resign - Green, Allen, West, Telfair, Gomes, Jefferson and Perkins. Both Jefferson and Perkins could be real stars and Mullin should fight big to get one if not both of them!

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:55 am
I like Perkins, and think he'd look much better with other coach. Doc is just clueless in Boston.

About Griffin... I agree he has a unique set of skills. No, really, very few people can drive and jerk off at the same time... :mrgreen:

Nah, seriously, he has the talent, but I don't think he's really focused on bball. He could be much better than he is.

btw, another 8 assists by Sergio in the last game. Maybe I was being stingy... he'll start by christmas.

Another player you all should keep an eye on:

Fabricio Oberto

He didn't have any play time last year with Mohammed and Nesterovic on the team, but he's better than both of them... he's not a rookie anymore, and, starting for San Antonio, he's going to be a big boost for that team. He's already having good rebounding numbers... and he's only going to get better, once the team starts to use more his post game.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:59 am
TMC wrote:
About Griffin... I agree he has a unique set of skills. No, really, very few people can drive and jerk off at the same time... :mrgreen:

HAHA! :mrgreen:
Maybe Griffin can RUB OFF on some of his new teammates.

Oberto is a good player and is doing real well alongside Duncan.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:57 am
Another player that, quietly, is having a great season:

Luther Head

His numbers don't look like much, but coming from the bench in a team that is not exactly known for his offense, he's not only scoring well (nearly 10 points in 24 minutes, which is a lot for Houston), but he's doing it shooting almost a 50% from 3s... I fully expect his numbers to improve a big deal during the course of the season, probably at the same time T-Mac starts having back problems again.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:59 pm
Head is playing well and has been a bright spot for the Rockets who didn't have much talent last season and still are not huge with talent now.

HEAD certainly is doing his JOB :mrgreen:

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:43 am
migya wrote:HEAD certainly is doing his JOB :mrgreen:

I knew that was coming... Imagine what poor Luther HEAD has to go through in his life. The endless jokes and punch lines like: "HEAD to the rescue" or "The Rockets got HEAD" (thank god they traded Gay last year. That would have been too much for any franchise. In fact, I'm starting to think that's the reason they traded him...).

It must be tough having to live with that all your life. :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:49 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:HEAD certainly is doing his JOB :mrgreen:

thank god they traded Gay last year. That would have been too much for any franchise.

I admit I like the Rockets a bit but I'd never admit that if they had the Gay/Head combo :mrgreen:

That would make the soft Yao Ming not look so as much :mrgreen:

Return to Sports Board