The Silicon Valley A's?

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

What should the A's be called after their move?

Oakland A's
55%
San Jose A's
9%
Fremont A's
9%
Silicon Valley A's
27%

Total votes : 11

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:49 am
Since it has become clear the A's are moving to Fremont, I really hope they keep the Oakland tag. If they do change it, have it be something like San Jose Athletics.

I don't mean to rag on Fremont, it's just, you know, it's Fremont.

Wolf's sugggestions of Fremont A's or Silicon Valley just sound terrible.

I know most people on the board here are Giants fans anyway, but I just had to give equal time to a team that actually does something in October.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:27 am
The move means nothing. It's just a new stadium for them. They're still "The Oakland A's", just like we still have "The San Fransisco 49ers".
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:44 pm
i like the San Jose Athletics the best. Fremont A's??? NO. Silicon Valley A's? No

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:42 pm
I say the Fremont A's 8)

I'm from Fremont by the way, but actually I'm quite disappointed and not eagerily anticipating their arrival since I live about a 5-10 minute drive away from the projected stadium. I think economically, Fremont will be great but socially and bringing in rowdy fans everyday with traffic? It's going to be horrible because the place where its being built already has bad traffic. But the area around the ballpark is nice, it has a: PF Changs, In N Out, Claimjumpers, Circuit City, Costco, Walmart (2 minute drive away), and alotalot of restaurants and their building a movie theatre there i think. Tailgating there would be nice.

It's like Union City's Union Landing.
New. Stuff.
Role Player
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:50 pm
I live in san jose and san jose has only one big sport team i would like it to see it call the san jose A's of fremont
This is the year
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:39 pm
You know something else that might work is the Alameda A's.

Just name them after the county. That way both Oakland and Fremont residents don't feel abandoned/ignored. I would much rather have a broader name like "Alameda" or "East Bay" than something like the Blank X's of Blanks. I seriously can't stand that style of naming, plus it is what those dopes down by Disneyland did, which is automatic grounds for vetoing.
Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:21 pm
I hate this move. Out to the burbs like every other god damned thing these days. The traffic will be HORRENDOUS. 880 traffic is the worst already, and this will put it into LA territory on gamedays. More cookie cutter strip malls around the stadium with the same old restaurants and shops. The A's will be devoid of all the character that's come to define them an a team from Oakland. This really stinks (especially for me since I live in Oakland). Plus, the new stadium is like 2 miles from the BART station, so everyone will have to wait in line to get into crapmed shuttle busses. Yay!
Basketball hope in the City Of Dope?
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:23 pm
Terrible, just awful if they are called anything but the Oakland A's. I'll take the Oakland a's of fremont if they must but in the name of all that is good and decent not Silicon Valley. And they people who think San Jose A's are a little slow i think. If the Giants have the rights to San Jose, what make you think you can name them that? Not to mention that San Jose is in a different county.

Return to Sports Board