The Good Old Days

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Do you miss the good old days?

Yes! Bring back the epic battles in the post!
4
67%
No. I like the new faster, softer style of basketall.
2
33%
 
Total votes : 6

User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21379
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:12 pm
#32 wrote:
migya wrote:David robinson was never known for his post moves but rather his great jump shot, great first step, speed and athleticism

I disagree; David Robinson is regarded as a tradional center. His jump shot was a weapon of his, but it would never outrank a dunk, a lay-up, or an inside finish. If Robinson had the opportunity to drive and finish, he would. Duncan, on the other hand, has been quoted saying he'd rather shoot the ball than dunk.

People forget, just because a guy has range, like Ewing and Robinson, doesn't make them any less of a post player.



You didn't watch the Admiral much if you think he was an inside, post move power player! Almost all his scoring came off jump shots, fast break dunks and driving by his opponent from 15ft out for a layup or dunk! He never had a vast array of post moves because he never needed them. He got by real well using his speed and skill but rarely on overpowering his opponent, though he could!

Hakeem and Ewing had to use more post moves because they were not as athletic as Robinson or as fast. Ewing especially was slow and unco
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13531
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:16 am
migya wrote:You didn't watch the Admiral much if you think he was an inside, post move power player! Almost all his scoring came off jump shots, fast break dunks and driving by his opponent from 15ft out for a layup or dunk! He never had a vast array of post moves because he never needed them. He got by real well using his speed and skill but rarely on overpowering his opponent, though he could!

I think I illustrated your problem in bold. You associate the term "post" with "power" too much.

As I stated earlier (mentioning McHale), you don't need to be a Shaq/Zo powerhouse player to be a force in the post. In fact, prior to Shaq, I can only count Darryl Dawkins and Wilt Chamberlain as powerful, back-to-the-basket post players.

Just because Robinson didn't play back-to-the-basket much doesn't mean he wasn't a force in the post. You stated yourself, he used his slick quickness to get by his defender for the dunk or layup. Robinson played a Diogu-like post game that started in the midrange and ended under the basket. Anybody would consider Ike a post-player. Robinson played the same kind of game. His automatic midrange only made his post game more dangerous.

migya wrote:Hakeem and Ewing had to use more post moves because they were not as athletic as Robinson or as fast. Ewing especially was slow and unco

Hakeem and Ewing were back-to-the-basket players. That was their main difference from Robinson. David Robinson would face his man and play him from the three-point-stance, like Ike.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21379
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:57 am
Our definition of post player is different. I always think of a back to the basket player.

Robinson was a superstar rebounder and shotblocker so that does make him a post player in a way. No big guy has ever been able to drive around guys like he did. He may never be replicated
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13531
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:04 pm
migya wrote:Our definition of post player is different. I always think of a back to the basket player.

Elton Brand and Ike Diogu play face-up basketball 70% of the time.

The non-back-to-the-basket style of post play is more about quick footwork and tricky up-and-under moves than it is about raw power. The player likely has better handles and a more solid jumper than most traditional post big men. One could argue that Hakeem was a face-up player, too. His face-up moves are still unmatched.

Definately not Ewing, Shaq, Mourning, Charmberlain, McHale, or Kareem. But it still exists (Brand, Diogu, Olajuwon, Robinson, ect).
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
Previous

Return to Sports Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests