Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:30 pm
how did you become a bucs fan, tmc?
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:18 pm
TMC wrote:
Thunder wrote:With all that in mind though, Gore should be the better back because he can carry the ball 30 times a game. Bush might have a better season or two in the near future, but Gore's games doens't depend on speed which will make him more effective in the long run (i.e #32's example of Bettis).

On the other side, the Saints have a monster called Deuce McAllister to split carries with Bush... That alone will add 3-4 years to his career.

F*ck, everybody on the NFC south is loaded and we're getting old on defense and predictable on offense... I hope that, at the end of the season, the Glazers have the common sense to fire Gruden and give the head coach position to Monte Kiffin.

Kiffin is actually a heck of a defensive coach.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:20 pm
drfrank wrote:how did you become a bucs fan, tmc?

Well, I think there are two options to become a fan of any team:

1.- It's your hometown team, and you've been living as a fan of that specific team your whole life.

2.- That team has something out of the ordinary, something that grabs your attention and makes you a fan of the team (and sometimes, like it happened to me, of the sport as a whole).

The second one happened to me twice, one with the Run-TMC Warriors and the other with the Bucs defense during the Tony Dungy era.

Since that time, I really started caring about football (I had watched some games here and there, since the Young and Rice era in the Niners. Missed the Montana years, tho :banghead: ). There wasn't enough NFL coverage in my country at that time. If not, I'd probably be a Niners fan.

Finally, Derrick Brooks is my favourite player ever in any sport, although he has earned that status during my years following the Bucs. He was not the reason I became a Bucs fan, but reinforced that feeling...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:23 pm
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Kiffin is actually a heck of a defensive coach.

Kiffin is the godfather of defense.

8)

PS: And he probably wouldn't outcoach himself like Gruden sometimes does...
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:27 pm
TMC wrote:
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Kiffin is actually a heck of a defensive coach.

Kiffin is the godfather of defense.

8)

PS: And he probably wouldn't outcoach himself like Gruden sometimes does...

Yeah, I always try to grab him during franchise mode of 07. Make sure he controls the D and he never fails. Not even afraid to make him head of the team. Sure, the Ravens made them look bad and didn't do so well against the Falcons either but that all falls on Gruden's offense. Kiffin seems to be underrated in my books, no one really brings him up even if the Bucs are televised.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:41 pm
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Yeah, I always try to grab him during franchise mode of 07. Make sure he controls the D and he never fails. Not even afraid to make him head of the team. Sure, the Ravens made them look bad and didn't do so well against the Falcons either but that all falls on Gruden's offense.

We also gave up over 300 yards on the ground against the Falcons... not everything is fine with the defense...

xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Kiffin seems to be underrated in my books, no one really brings him up even if the Bucs are televised.

I don't know if underrated is the right word. Maybe for the casual fans, but everybody who knows something about football knows what he has done for the Bucs.

Which makes me remember a cool story that you may already know, but just in case you don't...

Right after winning the Superbowl, Kiffin was the leading candidate for the Niners head coach position after firing Mariucci (when they finally signed Erickson). He was about to interview there, but Gruden asked him to stay... he promised that Kiffin would have complete leeway with the team's defense. He even promised that, if Kiffin wanted, he'd step aside and let him become the Head Coach, with Gruden as "only" the offensive coordinator... that, and a lofty raise, was enough to make him reject the interview and keep him in Tampa.

That's the story, at least, although I don't really believe that "step aside" part by Gruden, but the Niners missed on a great head coach then. It wasn't their fault, tho.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:53 pm
TMC wrote:
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Yeah, I always try to grab him during franchise mode of 07. Make sure he controls the D and he never fails. Not even afraid to make him head of the team. Sure, the Ravens made them look bad and didn't do so well against the Falcons either but that all falls on Gruden's offense.

We also gave up over 300 yards on the ground against the Falcons... not everything is fine with the defense...

Yes, I'm aware. I was just thinking not putting up points hurts the defense because it puts more pressure on them to keep the score close.

xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Kiffin seems to be underrated in my books, no one really brings him up even if the Bucs are televised.

I don't know if underrated is the right word. Maybe for the casual fans, but everybody who knows something about football knows what he has done for the Bucs.

Which makes me remember a cool story that you may already know, but just in case you don't...

Right after winning the Superbowl, Kiffin was the leading candidate for the Niners head coach position after firing Mariucci (when they finally signed Erickson). He was about to interview there, but Gruden asked him to stay... he promised that Kiffin would have complete leeway with the team's defense. He even promised that, if Kiffin wanted, he'd step aside and let him become the Head Coach, with Gruden as "only" the offensive coordinator... that, and a lofty raise, was enough to make him reject the interview and keep him in Tampa.

That's the story, at least, although I don't really believe that "step aside" part by Gruden, but the Niners missed on a great head coach then. It wasn't their fault, tho.[/quote]

Really? Wow, that could've been a great hiring. Erickson was horrible. But Mike Nolan has really showed me many things about this Niner team. He's a smart coach who knows who to get rid of, who to keep, and who to bring in. He's motivated the team and seems to appreciate the Niners a lot more than many coaches today.

But yes, we can't blame em for the move. Gruden may have got the Raiders somewhere in the playoffs, a Superbowl in Tampa, but he's more of a O-Coordinator. He's done well head coaching, but I'd think it should be him as O-C, Kiffin at D-C or at the head. The defense is starting to age though and the Galloway is more than done even if he is putting up solid numbers.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:11 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:
TMC wrote:We also gave up over 300 yards on the ground against the Falcons... not everything is fine with the defense...

Yes, I'm aware. I was just thinking not putting up points hurts the defense because it puts more pressure on them to keep the score close.

True... I think our pass defense is ok. Similar to last year, but between the awful offense, and the hideous run defense... we're looking pretty weak. We're missing a lot our old D-Line coordinator (Rod Marinelli, current Lions head coach).

xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Really? Wow, that could've been a great hiring. Erickson was horrible. But Mike Nolan has really showed me many things about this Niner team. He's a smart coach who knows who to get rid of, who to keep, and who to bring in. He's motivated the team and seems to appreciate the Niners a lot more than many coaches today.

But yes, we can't blame em for the move. Gruden may have got the Raiders somewhere in the playoffs, a Superbowl in Tampa, but he's more of a O-Coordinator. He's done well head coaching, but I'd think it should be him as O-C, Kiffin at D-C or at the head. The defense is starting to age though and the Galloway is more than done even if he is putting up solid numbers.

Nah, Galloway is good to go for a couple of years more... if he doesn't get injured. Then maybe Clayton (or Stovall) will be ready to take his place.

I like what Nolan has been doing there. With good drafting, they could be in the playoff hunt in a couple of years.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:42 pm
As debatably the third most lefty person on this board after Migya and Pest (which is saying something since it's a pretty lefty board), let me be clear in saying my vote is for REGGIE Bush over FRANK Gore, the only way I would favor a Bush over a Gore - except for Kate Bush over Leslie Gore :wink:
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:14 pm
coltraning wrote:As debatably the third most lefty person on this board after Migya and Pest (which is saying something since it's a pretty lefty board), let me be clear in saying my vote is for REGGIE Bush over FRANK Gore, the only way I would favor a Bush over a Gore - except for Kate Bush over Leslie Gore :wink:

I would favor a good bit of BUSH over something GOREy :mrgreen:

migya make the ring fall on ya
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:04 pm
George Bush Hates Black People

-Kanye West

:mrgreen:

go Gore.
In the Golden State of Mind since '97.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:28 pm
kfresh wrote:George Bush Hates Black People

-Kanye West

God that was funny.

Especially to see Mike Myers turn and look at him like "WTF?!" after Kanye blatantly improvised instead of reading the teleprompter.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:22 pm
TMC wrote:
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:
TMC wrote:We also gave up over 300 yards on the ground against the Falcons... not everything is fine with the defense...

True... I think our pass defense is ok. Similar to last year, but between the awful offense, and the hideous run defense... we're looking pretty weak. We're missing a lot our old D-Line coordinator (Rod Marinelli, current Lions head coach).

The pass is okay. But with an aging Barber at CB and the safeties decent, you can say they could start rebuilding that D again in next years draft but I haven't heard any big name defensive players in the 2007 class. Mostly filled with QB(Troy Smith and Brady Quinn) along with RB(Michael Bush, Adrian Peterson, ect.) accompanied by WR(Ted Ginn Jr.). Not sure though on that. But I'd think the Bucs offense is set, just need a better man in charge. Simms, Williams, Stovall, Clayton, Smith. I think they'll be fine.

xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Really? Wow, that could've been a great hiring. Erickson was horrible. But Mike Nolan has really showed me many things about this Niner team. He's a smart coach who knows who to get rid of, who to keep, and who to bring in. He's motivated the team and seems to appreciate the Niners a lot more than many coaches today.

Nah, Galloway is good to go for a couple of years more... if he doesn't get injured. Then maybe Clayton (or Stovall) will be ready to take his place.

I like what Nolan has been doing there. With good drafting, they could be in the playoff hunt in a couple of years.[/quote]

I'd think Galloway has something still left in the tank. He's still nice, and the future of their WR's are fine also.

Yeah, under Mike, they've done pretty fine. Smith may have looked like a bad move but they brought in the right tools for him to become that franchise QB. Gore and Baas seemed like solid pickups also, Gore being a hellauva 3rd round pick that is, one for the future I recall. Haven't seen someone run and catch the ball like that on the Niners since Hearst's comeback year. And this previous one was great. I absolutely love Lawson, no one really talks about him because they're too busy raving about Vernon's 40 combine time since he is a TE. Brandon Williams I hope will become something at least like a Givens or Branch or Porter. Nothing big since we already have Bryant. I reckon they'll be a wild card team sometime soon. I think all these "Niners are the worst team in the NFL" sayings have really turned on the heat. That's what I call motivation.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:25 am
Kanye West is dumb as a rock

- Me
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:39 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:The pass is okay. But with an aging Barber at CB and the safeties decent, you can say they could start rebuilding that D again in next years draft but I haven't heard any big name defensive players in the 2007 class. Mostly filled with QB(Troy Smith and Brady Quinn) along with RB(Michael Bush, Adrian Peterson, ect.) accompanied by WR(Ted Ginn Jr.). Not sure though on that. But I'd think the Bucs offense is set, just need a better man in charge. Simms, Williams, Stovall, Clayton, Smith. I think they'll be fine.

Our safeties are fine. Phillips is going to be a pro-bowler at some time, if he finds a way to stay in the field (he's been a bit of an injury risk, even tho the last season only missed three games). He just doesn't have good hands for the interception. In fact, sometimes it looks like he has Foyle's hands... but other than that he's a nice safety.

Will Allen is nasty... this guy will become our new John Lynch. Just give him time to develop.

Barber and Kelly have a few seasons left, and Zemaitis seems to be developing well, according to the coaching staff... but Bolden sucks. We better get at least a young CB in the next draft.

The rest of the defense is where the problem is... only DeWayne White and Barret Rudd seem to have a future there with the team. That means we have the replacements for Quarles and Spires... and that's all. We don't have anybody to replace Brooks or Simeon Rice, who are the heart of the defense.

xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Yeah, under Mike, they've done pretty fine. Smith may have looked like a bad move but they brought in the right tools for him to become that franchise QB. Gore and Baas seemed like solid pickups also, Gore being a hellauva 3rd round pick that is, one for the future I recall. Haven't seen someone run and catch the ball like that on the Niners since Hearst's comeback year. And this previous one was great. I absolutely love Lawson, no one really talks about him because they're too busy raving about Vernon's 40 combine time since he is a TE. Brandon Williams I hope will become something at least like a Givens or Branch or Porter. Nothing big since we already have Bryant. I reckon they'll be a wild card team sometime soon. I think all these "Niners are the worst team in the NFL" sayings have really turned on the heat. That's what I call motivation.

Manny Lawson was a great pick. I wanted the Bucs to draft Ernie Sims (pipe dream, since he was a top 10 pick) or Lawson this year. We finally took Devin Joseph, who seems like a good lineman, but I'd rather have Lawson right now.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board