The NFL thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:36 pm
I am up in the air about Warner. If Zona wins the Super Bowl, he will probably get in. Certainly post season sucess gets him a lot of consideration but he only has like 11 years in the league. And when you take a look at his tenure, it is kind of a mixed bag

For a 3 year period 99-01 he might have been the best QB in the league:
3 playoff births
2 MVP's
1 Super Bowl Championship
35-8 as a starting QB

just an AWESOME RUN

But then take a look at 2002-2007:
18-32 as a starter
No playoffs births
only one winning record
54 td's, 47 int's and 55 fumbles

3 magnificent seasons followed by 6 average to poor seasons... Hall of Fame should be reserved for the truly special and by people who continually were the best amoung their peers.

That being said, I think he will probably get in.
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:46 pm
xbay wrote:
TMC wrote:3.- Now, to discuss a little... if Kurt Warner wins another SB ring with the Cards, and considering his almost MVP-like season, should he be considered for the HOF? (Well, considered it's a must... but would he make it?).

4 Pro Bowls, 2 MVPs, 1 SB MVP, 1 SB ring. He was a no body from the Arena League and helped lead "The Greatest Show on Turf" with Bruce and Faulk. I believe he has an impressive enough resume to go.

Yeah, but he's also had a few awful seasons to go along with that, and got his best stats for teams with Marshall Faulk, Torry Holt and Ike Bruce in their prime, as well as Boldin, Fitzgerald and Breaston now...

I think there's room for debate, at least. I'm tempted to to say he should be in, but still got some doubts. For example, I find more impressive what McNabb has achieved in Philly with no talent at WR during all those years (except for T.O.'s year) than what Warner has done.

xbay wrote:Here's another question... are the Steelers one of the best, if not the best ran franchise in all of professional sports?

I mean, look at it... 5 SB wins, 7 SB appearances, 7-time AFC Champs, 19-time Division Champs, 25 playoff appearances, 21 HoFs, the "Steel Curtain" defense, the Rooney family has been owners since the franchise starter, and ever since Chuck Noll... they had only Bill Cowher and Mike Tomlin to succeed as coach.

That's a tough one... They're the best in NFL's history, that's for sure... but in all pro sports?. I'm not so sure. The Lakers come to mind, for example, and I'd say it's harder to win the NBA ring than the SB.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:20 pm
TMC wrote:
xbay wrote:
TMC wrote:3.- Now, to discuss a little... if Kurt Warner wins another SB ring with the Cards, and considering his almost MVP-like season, should he be considered for the HOF? (Well, considered it's a must... but would he make it?).

4 Pro Bowls, 2 MVPs, 1 SB MVP, 1 SB ring. He was a no body from the Arena League and helped lead "The Greatest Show on Turf" with Bruce and Faulk. I believe he has an impressive enough resume to go.

Yeah, but he's also had a few awful seasons to go along with that, and got his best stats for teams with Marshall Faulk, Torry Holt and Ike Bruce in their prime, as well as Boldin, Fitzgerald and Breaston now...

I think there's room for debate, at least. I'm tempted to to say he should be in, but still got some doubts. For example, I find more impressive what McNabb has achieved in Philly with no talent at WR during all those years (except for T.O.'s year) than what Warner has done.

True, which is why you can separate him from many great QBs. I don't find him as one of the great ones, but he did perform like one for a short period of time. Even if you took 2/3 SB rings Brady has won away from him, I'd still consider Tom better because he has proven he can do it even without talented weapons. The year before Moss, he had no one to work with at WR, TE, or RB. They were all either decent to below-average options. Yet, he still made them work.

TMC wrote:
xbay wrote:Here's another question... are the Steelers one of the best, if not the best ran franchise in all of professional sports?

I mean, look at it... 5 SB wins, 7 SB appearances, 7-time AFC Champs, 19-time Division Champs, 25 playoff appearances, 21 HoFs, the "Steel Curtain" defense, the Rooney family has been owners since the franchise starter, and ever since Chuck Noll... they had only Bill Cowher and Mike Tomlin to succeed as coach.

That's a tough one... They're the best in NFL's history, that's for sure... but in all pro sports?. I'm not so sure. The Lakers come to mind, for example, and I'd say it's harder to win the NBA ring than the SB.

Agreed.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:04 pm
xbay wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
TMC wrote:A few notes to consider:

1.- Rex Ryan has agreed to term with the Ravens. And I don't know what to think of this. I mean, other DC of the Ravens have been named HC before, and the results have been mixed. I like Marvin Lewis a lot, but Nolan has been a total failure.

Also, word out of NY is that they've hired him over Spags because he runs a 3-4.

2.- The Packers have made a good signing with Dom Capers as their DC. Great, underrated coordinator. It's offense what's a real problem for him, but if he can only focus on the defensive side, he's a big improvement for Green Bay.

3.- Now, to discuss a little... if Kurt Warner wins another SB ring with the Cards, and considering his almost MVP-like season, should he be considered for the HOF? (Well, considered it's a must... but would he make it?).

he doesnt need to do anything more to secure a HOF xbay. He won 2 MVPs (one in SB), lead a team to 3 superbowls, and has had some phenomenal seasons (stats wise). just cuz his career started late, got bounced around, backed up, when its all said and done, he is in already. That's HOF material right there in this league which gives ultimate cred. to the QB position

You mean, TMC. :wink: Surprised it wasn't me reporting the news this time around, eh?

holy moley... that whole time i thought that was u xbay... yeah i was shocked it was TMC throwing out the question. Sorry to both of you :oops:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:27 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
xbay wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

1.- Rex Ryan has agreed to term with the Ravens. And I don't know what to think of this. I mean, other DC of the Ravens have been named HC before, and the results have been mixed. I like Marvin Lewis a lot, but Nolan has been a total failure.

Also, word out of NY is that they've hired him over Spags because he runs a 3-4.

2.- The Packers have made a good signing with Dom Capers as their DC. Great, underrated coordinator. It's offense what's a real problem for him, but if he can only focus on the defensive side, he's a big improvement for Green Bay.

3.- Now, to discuss a little... if Kurt Warner wins another SB ring with the Cards, and considering his almost MVP-like season, should he be considered for the HOF? (Well, considered it's a must... but would he make it?).

he doesnt need to do anything more to secure a HOF xbay. He won 2 MVPs (one in SB), lead a team to 3 superbowls, and has had some phenomenal seasons (stats wise). just cuz his career started late, got bounced around, backed up, when its all said and done, he is in already. That's HOF material right there in this league which gives ultimate cred. to the QB position

You mean, TMC. :wink: Surprised it wasn't me reporting the news this time around, eh?

holy moley... that whole time i thought that was u xbay... yeah i was shocked it was TMC throwing out the question. Sorry to both of you :oops:

No worries. I haven't been as active as I should lately (although I'm having some more time these days), so it's no wonder you've automatically supposed it was XBay.

btw, and kinda off-topic... but have you realized we're just 19 pages away from having the first 200 pages thread of the board?. We gotta do this during the offseason, guys.

If anybody posts anything NFL related out of this thread, I'll reward you with an automatic ban of... one minute or so. Yeah, that should teach you. :mrgreen:

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:38 pm
TMC wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
xbay wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

No worries. I haven't been as active as I should lately (although I'm having some more time these days), so it's no wonder you've automatically supposed it was XBay.

btw, and kinda off-topic... but have you realized we're just 19 pages away from having the first 200 pages thread of the board?. We gotta do this during the offseason, guys.

If anybody posts anything NFL related out of this thread, I'll reward you with an automatic ban of... one minute or so. Yeah, that should teach you. :mrgreen:

o rly?
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:49 pm
Just to make you happy TMC, I'll post this here AND in the 49ers thread

Jagodzinski will interview with the 49ers tonight.

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/200 ... c-job.html

This guy was my first choice from the very beginning (until I heard he wasn't even in the running), so I'm glad they're finally getting around to him. He has great credentials, has a great reputation, and really really wants this job (he's expressed interest multiple times). I would LOOOOOVE to have him.

NFL/College Jobs

1985 Wisconsin-Whitewater (RB)
1986 Northern Illinois (OL)
1987-1988 LSU (GA)
1989-1996 East Carolina (OL)
1997-1998 Boston College (OC/OL)
1999-2003 Green Bay Packers (TE)
2004-2005 Atlanta Falcons (OL)
2006 Green Bay Packers (OC)
2007-2008 Boston College

A couple of things I think are important, he has experience in lots of different offensive positions, which I think gives him a better overall understanding of the offense. Secondly teams that he has worked with previously have hired him back at a later date, this tells me he's a good person to work with and that he does a good job.

The one concern with him is that he's really looking for a HC job. However I don't think he'll get one next year and overall I don't have a huge problem with this as long as we are anticipating it (something Nolan was AWFUL at - he never had a plan B) and put people in position to continue his system when he leaves (which I think is what Rathman is for).
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:51 pm
captain, that woudl be a FANTASTIC hire for the 49ers. This is who I was hoping would come to Seattle as the new OC. I think he has a great mind for offense and is an innovator with a great track record.

For my teams sake, I hope they dont hire him.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:22 am
Yeah, even tho I haven't followed much of his college career, I like the idea of not going after another former Head Coach like Lineham was.

In the Niners position, I think getting a young guy with no previous experience as a NFL HC (and who may see it as a chance to improve his chances for such a position) can be more productive than hiring another "has been".
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:26 am
Sure would be a great hire. Don't know too much about him, but from Capt's insider on him, he looks like the close to perfect choice to hire for our OC job. I hope we hire him after learning a little more about him from Capt.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:42 am
Some NFL news for this Thursday morning

Seahawks round out their staff by hiring former Giants defensive coordinator Tim Lewis as their DB coach.

Bucs HC Raheem Morris has hired Jim Bates as their DC. Decent hiring. Bates is a solid defensive coach.

Niners have interest in Ravens QB coach Hue Jackson for the OC job

Former Seahawk DL coach and Niner player Dwaine Board is a candidate for the Raiders DL coaching job

Former Buc assistant HC, Larry Coyer is the new DC at Indy
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:30 pm
bada wrote:Seahawks round out their staff by hiring former Giants defensive coordinator Tim Lewis as their DB coach.

Solid move. Lewis has a lot of experience, so he should be a good addition to that staff.

bada wrote:Bucs HC Raheem Morris has hired Jim Bates as their DC. Decent hiring. Bates is a solid defensive coach.

GREAT signing. I've always liked him, particularly from his days as Miami's DC.

Seems like we're gonna build up the new Bucs from the D, and that's the right thing to do. That's how this team has achieved success, and not trying to build an offense that has never led us anywhere.

bada wrote:Former Seahawk DL coach and Niner player Dwaine Board is a candidate for the Raiders DL coaching job

Don't know anything about him. Hence, no comment.

bada wrote:Former Buc assistant HC, Larry Coyer is the new DC at Indy

I almost feel sorry for the Colts. From Dungy to Coyer is "a bit" of a drop off.

Also, Mike Trgovac, Carolina's DC, has left the team. Rumor says that he and Peppers didn't really get along too well, and it's a move done to try to appease Julius and make him reconsider his future with the Panthers.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:25 pm
Scott Linehan agrees to become the Lions OC. How does he turn down the Niners offer and take the Lions job?????? Anyone have any insight on why this would be the case?

In related news, Niners are going to interview Dan Reeves as their OC. Wow, never would have expected that name.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:07 pm
bada wrote:Scott Linehan agrees to become the Lions OC. How does he turn down the Niners offer and take the Lions job?????? Anyone have any insight on why this would be the case?

In related news, Niners are going to interview Dan Reeves as their OC. Wow, never would have expected that name.

dan reeves? how old is he? has he been around football since Atlanta? This might turn out to be another Tom Walsh situation (and us raiders fans know how that went).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:09 pm
bada wrote:Scott Linehan agrees to become the Lions OC. How does he turn down the Niners offer and take the Lions job?????? Anyone have any insight on why this would be the case?

Well, it's not that surprising. He'll have a new Randy Moss to throw to in Calvin Johnson. The Lions have "some" talent at offense... certainly not enough, but it's a start.

bada wrote:In related news, Niners are going to interview Dan Reeves as their OC. Wow, never would have expected that name.

Why?. The Niners seem to be interviewing anybody they can think of. It's not a name I'd expect at this point of Reeve's coaching career, but I still can't see a plan on the Niners seach, so it's kinda fitting.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board