The NFL thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:43 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Now that Dungy has retired, it is time for the Colts to give Ron Meeks the head coaching job... he is a brilliant mind, and is pretty influencial like Dungy, and has been with that club for 6 seasons. That way, most of the staff, will probably stay in place (especially tom moore), and this team can once again have a shot of the title.

They would be foolish to go for someone outside the organization. Its not like Manning will be around forever. Do it Indy.

Edit... Immediately following this posting, i just realized that Dungy has chosen Jim Caldwell as his successor. I really think this is not to smart. Caldwell was gonna stay in the staff anyways (probably), Meeks is getting Head Coach interviews. PLus, they dont need an offensive head coach, as Manning is a genius and serves as a OC on his own, along with Moore, who is too old to go anywhere... I think Indy chose the wrong guy... they should of gone Defensive

Caldwell was chosen more than a year ago as Dungy's replacement, kinda like Mora's situation in Seattle. And he wasn't getting interviews because everybody knew he was going to be the Colts HC. Don't read anything in that lack of interviews.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:06 pm
TMC wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Now that Dungy has retired, it is time for the Colts to give Ron Meeks the head coaching job... he is a brilliant mind, and is pretty influencial like Dungy, and has been with that club for 6 seasons. That way, most of the staff, will probably stay in place (especially tom moore), and this team can once again have a shot of the title.

They would be foolish to go for someone outside the organization. Its not like Manning will be around forever. Do it Indy.

Edit... Immediately following this posting, i just realized that Dungy has chosen Jim Caldwell as his successor. I really think this is not to smart. Caldwell was gonna stay in the staff anyways (probably), Meeks is getting Head Coach interviews. PLus, they dont need an offensive head coach, as Manning is a genius and serves as a OC on his own, along with Moore, who is too old to go anywhere... I think Indy chose the wrong guy... they should of gone Defensive

Caldwell was chosen more than a year ago as Dungy's replacement, kinda like Mora's situation in Seattle. And he wasn't getting interviews because everybody knew he was going to be the Colts HC. Don't read anything in that lack of interviews.

Ahh i didnt know caldwell was an "in waiting" coach.. i think this whole, kinship system of next in line coaches is stupid, and will prove to be highly ineffective.

Im disappointed, they should of picked Meeks though. Dungy was a defensive minded coach, which brought good balance to the dominance of their offense over the years. They better hope Meeks stays on as D-Coordinator. If not, they're gonna regret it.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:30 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
TMC wrote:

Ahh i didnt know caldwell was an "in waiting" coach.. i think this whole, kinship system of next in line coaches is stupid, and will prove to be highly ineffective.

Im disappointed, they should of picked Meeks though. Dungy was a defensive minded coach, which brought good balance to the dominance of their offense over the years. They better hope Meeks stays on as D-Coordinator. If not, they're gonna regret it.

Yeah, Caldwell even had an interview last season with the Redskins, but the Colts picked him to be their future HC and he declared to not be interested in the Redskins position anymore.

I think they're trying to not change the offense of the team. That's the reason of their success during all these years, and I guess they don't want to bring in a coach that may change it. So Caldwell gets promoted and the offense stays the same. Probably asked Payton about it and he gave them the green light to promote Caldwell, but that's only a hunch...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:11 pm
TMC wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
TMC wrote:

Yeah, Caldwell even had an interview last season with the Redskins, but the Colts picked him to be their future HC and he declared to not be interested in the Redskins position anymore.

I think they're trying to not change the offense of the team. That's the reason of their success during all these years, and I guess they don't want to bring in a coach that may change it. So Caldwell gets promoted and the offense stays the same. Probably asked Payton about it and he gave them the green light to promote Caldwell, but that's only a hunch...

I assumed it was Moore, rather than caldwell, who was the reason of the success, along with of course the talent... either way, im not too disappointed, so long as Meek's remain in that team.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:13 pm
It looks like Rex Ryan is the leading candidate for the Jets' head coaching job. But he won't accept until after the Ravens are out.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:26 pm
xbay wrote:It looks like Rex Ryan is the leading candidate for the Jets' head coaching job. But he won't accept until after the Ravens are out.

yeah so we should know by monday! :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:48 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
xbay wrote:It looks like Rex Ryan is the leading candidate for the Jets' head coaching job. But he won't accept until after the Ravens are out.

yeah so we should know by monday! :mrgreen:

So you're saying the Ravens will lose against the Steelers, I assume?
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:25 pm
Well, there you have it... Mike Nolan was hired by the Broncos defensive coordinator. Good signing, I think he's better served as a coordinator.

And Kerry Collins said he WILL start next season as their QB or he will gladly leave the team. He believes he still has few good years left in him and demands to start. If he doesn't, he'll leave. As for Vince Young... well, it looks like the mighty just may have finally fallen. I think Vince is Tim Tebow-esque. Great leader, player, athlete in college football... not so much in the NFL.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:08 pm
xbay wrote:Well, there you have it... Mike Nolan was hired by the Broncos defensive coordinator. Good signing, I think he's better served as a coordinator.

And Kerry Collins said he WILL start next season as their QB or he will gladly leave the team. He believes he still has few good years left in him and demands to start. If he doesn't, he'll leave. As for Vince Young... well, it looks like the mighty just may have finally fallen. I think Vince is Tim Tebow-esque. Great leader, player, athlete in college football... not so much in the NFL.

I dunno what to think about nolan going to Denver...or McDanials.. can Nolan make that defense tough?... On paper, it looks like a good coaching staff, but we all know, paper champions don't me squat. Mcdanials, we've seen before the whole Billicheck staff not exactly succeed where they go, basically acting as pawns to billichecks system. That team is gonna be interesting... i wish them nothing but bad luck
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:40 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
xbay wrote:Well, there you have it... Mike Nolan was hired by the Broncos defensive coordinator. Good signing, I think he's better served as a coordinator.

I dunno what to think about nolan going to Denver...or McDanials.. can Nolan make that defense tough?... On paper, it looks like a good coaching staff, but we all know, paper champions don't me squat. Mcdanials, we've seen before the whole Billicheck staff not exactly succeed where they go, basically acting as pawns to billichecks system. That team is gonna be interesting... i wish them nothing but bad luck

He definitely won't make them tougher... Is jamie winborn still on the broncos? that'll be interesting.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:02 am
RobDIKUM wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

He definitely won't make them tougher... Is jamie winborn still on the broncos? that'll be interesting.

They lack a true, tough, run stopping NT. And their MLB situation ain't pretty either. Same with the safeties. Nolan will help, but without the playmakers, it'll be tough to even imagine they'll be majorly improved from this past season.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:10 pm
Defensive coordinator of the Titans Jim Schwartz was hired by the Lions as their HC. Can he help restore the franchise?
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:24 pm
xbay wrote:Defensive coordinator of the Titans Jim Schwartz was hired by the Lions as their HC. Can he help restore the franchise?

Not sure he can or not. Personally I dont like his style of defense. Hates to ever rush more than 4. They better improve their d-line tremendously if his system is going to work there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:56 pm
bada wrote:
xbay wrote:Defensive coordinator of the Titans Jim Schwartz was hired by the Lions as their HC. Can he help restore the franchise?

Not sure he can or not. Personally I dont like his style of defense. Hates to ever rush more than 4. They better improve their d-line tremendously if his system is going to work there.

yeah, this guys schemes are baloney. But i could be wrong. Maybe he didnt feel he needed to rush more than four as he had Haynesworth, Van de bosch, and others. Or maybe he is lazy. I dunno, i didnt think he was ready for a head coaching job, especially over Steve Spagnuolo, Raheem Morris, and Meeks, which are defensive coaches and are IMO better coaching candidates, with defensive emphasis.

Hey, its the lions, so i could care less about them
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:21 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
bada wrote:

yeah, this guys schemes are baloney. But i could be wrong. Maybe he didnt feel he needed to rush more than four as he had Haynesworth, Van de bosch, and others. Or maybe he is lazy. I dunno, i didnt think he was ready for a head coaching job, especially over Steve Spagnuolo, Raheem Morris, and Meeks, which are defensive coaches and are IMO better coaching candidates, with defensive emphasis.

Hey, its the lions, so i could care less about them

On the other side, Schwartz has a great rep around the league and has been considered for HC jobs several times. Even Jeff Fisher said once that it was a shame he wasn't give the chance to prove himself as a HC.

I would have gone with Spags, tho. That guy truly deserves a chance (although it's been rumored that the Giants have promised him their HC position once Coughling retires in a couple of years).

One thing's for sure, Schwartz didn't pick the easiest team to turn around. They have a few good weapons (Calvin, Kevin Smith and Earnie Sims) but that's it. Detroit has LOTS of holes to fill before they can be considered (just) average.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board