The NFL thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:02 pm
bada wrote:I agree that he is a good coach however I disagree somewhat about that he should not have got fired.

Supposedly a lot of players HATED him and the locker room was a mess. He had lost the repect of most of the players. I think he needed to go.

I think he is a very good defensive mind but it is yet to be determined whether he has the charisma to be an effective leader.

NY media comes in large quantities, and is known for their exaggeration (as most media is... there just bigger). They blamed Farve, they blamed Mangini, they blamed... Remember when the media called for Tom Caughlin's head just a year and a half a go. He proved them wrong, ignored the critics, and won the SB. I agree with Xbay on this, he shouldn't have been fired, Farve was a main culprit for the collapse. 22 INT's wont make you a champion. PLus thats not including his fumbles.

Mangini added in the post conference that he was fired that he was too strict on the players. He is a perfectionist. He is against fun in the locker room. Against pranks, and stuff like that. It wasn't necessarly the X's and O's that was wrong, as "the genius" is supposedly stellar at that. The football sense is fine, its the human relations that killed him, and in a game that takes a grueling toll on the body and mind, the season was deteriorating the team. Mangini knows this, and he apologized for this.

Coughlin was much of the same. But unlike Mangini, he changed his traditionally hard nosed style, and loosened up. he remained strict, but allowed for his players to take a breath per say. He allowed for fun to occur in the locker room. He was able to maintain his football savvy and finally gain the players respect. I think the firing will change his coaching philosophy a bit to loosen up a little, and therefore will be a successful coach in cleveland, as long as whoever their GM is doesn't screw it up. MY POINT IS, despite all this, Mangini would of have still changed his philosophy if he had another year in New York. He finally realized this, but was against doing drastic policy changes during the season. I think New York let go of a great coach.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:54 pm
The Cowboys finally kicked Pacman to the curve. It's about time and they should of never signed him in the first place.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:16 am
Michael Crabtree and Jeremy Maclin both declare for the NFL Draft. Two very good WRs. I don't want Crabtree on the Seahawks because I don't want him torching our secondary, but I really like the guy and his overally game so it'd be a pleasure to have him in the NFC West.

Sam Bradford of OU, Matthew Stafford of Georgia, and Knowshon Moreno of Georgia turn pro as well. Both QBs are expected to be drafted high. Moreno is expected to be picked in the first.

Really exciting talent coming out this year. Can't wait..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:14 pm
Dwight Freeney fined for criticising officials...

Of course will all know, if u talk bad about the NFL, they will fine u. But Freeney has a point. That OT was incredibly rigged, which i usually do not say about the NFL. But that whole Ed Hochuli incident early in the season, i bet the NFL wanted to make up to the Chargers, and giving them a playoff win was the way to do it. here's the article, and bolded is what freeney said:
Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney was hit with a $20,000 fine by the NFL for his expletive-laced interview following last week's 23-17 overtime playoff loss to the San Diego Chargers.

The league cited Freeney for making "inappropriate comments on officiating," according to the Indianapolis Star.

Freeney, apparently frustrated by the three defensive penalties incurred as the Chargers made their game-winning drive, told Yahoo! Sports after the game: "Those were the worst [expletive] calls I've seen in a long time ... To have a game of that magnitude taken out of your hands, it's just disgusting. It's not like they made one [expletive] bad call -- it's three calls, in overtime ... They need to start investigating some other [expletive]."
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:14 pm
I have to agree. Overtime was practically HANDED to the Chargers. Those were the worst phantom calls I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:47 pm
baltimore/tennessee game getting down and dirty early... these teams taking shots at one another each down.. although its nothing but punts, its looking good so far... especially for someone like me who loves watching dominant defenses in action.
All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:51 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:baltimore/tennessee game getting down and dirty early... these teams taking shots at one another each down.. although its nothing but punts, its looking good so far... especially for someone like me who loves watching dominant defenses in action.

:headbang:
Wish List

*New Owner and Management =D>
*Trade Monta
*Trade Maggette =D>
*Tank the season, get the top pick and draft Harrison Barnes
to be continued...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:34 pm
man, the baltimore/tennessee game... wow, there injuries galore. both teams fighting for yards... tough D... great game, even with the lack of scoring.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:16 pm
The Titans lost because they didn't know how to take care of the ball. Turnovers killed them. They had a chance ALL game long to take control, but they always ended up turning over. In other words... they "fumbled" the game away.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:29 pm
Man, i'm loving this cardinals game... i've rooted for them all season, mainly for having warner, breaston, fitz, and breaston all on my fantasy team. I didnt choose them to win, but there are sure fun to watch.

And Delholmme should be benched
All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:42 pm
:shock: ...are they(Cardinals) using Steroid...they leading 20 pts now...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:49 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
And Delholmme should be benched

I love how when i said this, this was before the additional 2 interceptions he threw... 4 INTS and 1 fumble... Delholmme is overrate. Always has been, always will.

EDIT: He has thrown another INT... 5 for the day, and 1 fumble... Should of listened to me Mr. Fox
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:48 pm
It's official, the Broncos hired Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels as their HC. The news is expected to be announced tomorrow. He did a great job with the Pats offense, but just like any other Patriots coordinator that left for a HC job failed to do all that well. Although, I think this is a good one since McDaniels is good with QBs and WRs and having Cutler, Marshall, and Royal sure helps.

Also, Tony Dungy is expected to announce whether he'll be coaching the Colts next season or not tomorrow as well.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:36 am
xbay wrote:It's official, the Broncos hired Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels as their HC. The news is expected to be announced tomorrow. He did a great job with the Pats offense, but just like any other Patriots coordinator that left for a HC job failed to do all that well. Although, I think this is a good one since McDaniels is good with QBs and WRs and having Cutler, Marshall, and Royal sure helps.

Also, Tony Dungy is expected to announce whether he'll be coaching the Colts next season or not tomorrow as well.

YES!!!! That means Raheem stays as a Buc (although the Rams are also considering him to be their HC, but seems like he's not among the faves).

It's about time we start doing something with our defensive staff. Between Kiffin and Bradley signing elsewhere, Raheem being promoted and Coyer being fired, we have to fill every position in that staff other than coordinator (if Raheem stays, that is).

About McDaniels... I don't know how I feel about the signing. I guess Crennel's tenure in Cleveland and Mangini's firing from NY raise some doubts about the Pats coordinators once they become head coaches (even tho I think Mangini is a good one). Only time will tell...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:42 am
Now that Dungy has retired, it is time for the Colts to give Ron Meeks the head coaching job... he is a brilliant mind, and is pretty influencial like Dungy, and has been with that club for 6 seasons. That way, most of the staff, will probably stay in place (especially tom moore), and this team can once again have a shot of the title.

They would be foolish to go for someone outside the organization. Its not like Manning will be around forever. Do it Indy.

Edit... Immediately following this posting, i just realized that Dungy has chosen Jim Caldwell as his successor. I really think this is not to smart. Caldwell was gonna stay in the staff anyways (probably), Meeks is getting Head Coach interviews. PLus, they dont need an offensive head coach, as Manning is a genius and serves as a OC on his own, along with Moore, who is too old to go anywhere... I think Indy chose the wrong guy... they should of gone Defensive
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board