The NFL thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:43 am
I'm going to wait till friday to post this week's picks. In the meantime...

TMC'S WEEK 5 POWER RANKINGS

1.- Chicago Bears.- This team has it all. Outstanding defense, effective offense, no injuries... even Benson is starting to show why he was a 4th overall pick. I'm still not sold on Grossman staying healthy through the whole season, but so far so good. Best team in football right now.

2.- Philly Eagles.- The Giants game was a fluke. This team is on track for a great season, and maybe a NFC final game against Chicago. Great defense, one of the best qb of the league and improved receiving corps make this team a contender.

3.- San Diego Chargers.- Another powerhouse for the regular season. Martyball may kill them in the playoffs, but they are showing how dangerous they will be. Phillip Rivers looks better each week.

4.- Seattle Seahawks.- They were crushed by the Bears in their last game, but the Bears are doing that to everybody. They're still one heck of a team, pretty balanced and almost impossible to beat at home. Alexander needs to recover and be a factor if they want to go deep in the playoffs, tho.

5.- Denver Broncos.- One tough team that gets away with wins through defense. Not sure they can go deep with Plummer, tho. He's the Jekill and Hyde of the NFL. They'd go much higher if they were playing always at Denver.

6.- Baltimore Ravens.- Great defense. Suspectful offense... Same ol' story with the Ravens. They'll be competitive as long as they stay healthy.

7.- Atlanta Falcons.- Vick can't pass... but who cares if they can win games just by running over the rivals?. John Abraham's return will make them even better on defense.

8.- Indianapolis Colts.- They should be higher... but barely winning against the Titans is dreadful for a contender. Being a known choker doesn't help, either.

9.- Cincy Bengals.- The exact opposite of the Ravens. Great offense, suspectful defense... and Odell Thurman's suspension for the season doesn't help. The defense creates turnovers, but can't stop anybody. One game without those turnovers and they're done.

10.- Jacksonville Jaguars.- This team is getting killed by injuries. Mike Peterson loss is a huge blow, as they don't have anybody to replace him... They're playing like contenders, but I don't know if they'll be able to overcome the injury bug.

Now without comments (32 teams are too much for comments on every team... that, and I don't have the time right now :wink: ).

11.- New England Patriots

12.- Carolina Panthers

13.- New Orleans Saints

14.- Pittsburgh Steelers

15.- New York Giants

16.- St. Louis Rams

17.- Minnesota Vikings

18.- Dallas Cowboys

19.- Minnesota Vikings

20.- Kansas City Chiefs

21.- Buffalo Bills

22.- San Francisco 49ers

23.- New York Jets

24.- Cleveland Browns

25.- Miami Dolphins

26.- Arizona Cardinals

27.- Tampa Bay Buccaneers

28.- Green Bay Packers

29.- Tennesse Titans

30.- Houston Texans

31.- Detroit Lions

32.- Oakland Raiders
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:26 pm
Nice, but I'd think the Ravens would fall just a bit more. They played great defense against the Broncos, but they didn't get the win. I also think the Pats are better than the Jags regardless of how Tom Brady is playing. The defense is carrying them and the Patriots keep winning. Why? Their names are Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. But overall, I like the rankings.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:48 pm
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Nice, but I'd think the Ravens would fall just a bit more. They played great defense against the Broncos, but they didn't get the win. I also think the Pats are better than the Jags regardless of how Tom Brady is playing. The defense is carrying them and the Patriots keep winning. Why? Their names are Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. But overall, I like the rankings.

Yeah, the Patriots could go higher, but the first 11 teams are almost interchangeable. All of them are contenders. The order just changes each week. That's how close those teams are in the NFL.

About the Patriots, I think they're missing a lot their old receiving corps. Losing Branch has become a big problem for them... But Maroney is looking great, and that gives them a boost, too.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:03 am
TMC wrote:
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Nice, but I'd think the Ravens would fall just a bit more. They played great defense against the Broncos, but they didn't get the win. I also think the Pats are better than the Jags regardless of how Tom Brady is playing. The defense is carrying them and the Patriots keep winning. Why? Their names are Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. But overall, I like the rankings.

Yeah, the Patriots could go higher, but the first 11 teams are almost interchangeable. All of them are contenders. The order just changes each week. That's how close those teams are in the NFL.

About the Patriots, I think they're missing a lot their old receiving corps. Losing Branch has become a big problem for them... But Maroney is looking great, and that gives them a boost, too.

Yeah, I'm liking Maroney's future. The Patriots are in my top 5 AFC rankings. I'm not a Patriot fan but it's nice to know they're able to keep it going. The team is getting older though, so I'd expect this team to start to become a wild card team sometime soon in the next couple years or so.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:04 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Yeah, I'm liking Maroney's future. The Patriots are in my top 5 AFC rankings. I'm not a Patriot fan but it's nice to know they're able to keep it going. The team is getting older though, so I'd expect this team to start to become a wild card team sometime soon in the next couple years or so.

They're realoading pretty well with the last drafts... I think they will keep being a contender for a few years more. Maybe not the main contender, but in the hunt for the SB.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:04 pm
Tampa Bay is too high on your list!

Remember they are still WINLESS?

And you've got your power rankings in reverse order because everyone knows the raiders are one of teh greatest team in sports history

JUST ONE MOFUQKN WIN BABY
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:16 pm
O.G pawnograffiti wrote:And you've got your power rankings in reverse order because everyone knows the raiders are one of teh greatest team in sports history

If your Raiders had to play our schedule, they would look like the worst team of the league...

Wait... they already look like the worst team of the league. :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:18 pm
O.G pawnograffiti wrote:Tampa Bay is too high on your list!

And you've got your power rankings in reverse order because everyone knows the raiders are one of teh greatest team in sports history

You gotta be kidding me. Everyone knows the Niners have had the better franchise. Who cares if you had Madden, we had Walsh. You had Bilentikoff, we had Rice. You had Blanda, we had Montana/Young. GO NINERS. I like the fact that you still support your team though even though they are truely the worst football team in the NFL currently. And I can guarentee this, Moss will not be in a Raider uni next season.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:03 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:

You gotta be kidding me. Everyone knows the Niners have had the better franchise. Who cares if you had Madden, we had Walsh. You had Bilentikoff, we had Rice. You had Blanda, we had Montana/Young. GO NINERS. I like the fact that you still support your team though even though they are truely the worst football team in the NFL currently. And I can guarentee this, Moss will not be in a Raider uni next season.

Are you kidding me with this bullshit???

Do you really want to go ahead and start comparing positions.

We had Marcus Allen
We had Jim Otto.
We had Art Shell.
We had Gene Upshaw
We had Bo Jackson
We had Ted Hendricks
We had Stablier
We had Gannon
We had KFC
We had Casper
We had Lyle Azadalo
And yes your right We probably will be saying "WE HAD RANDY MOSS"

<PLEASE GET OFF THIS 49'ERS FANTASYTIP. YOU GUYS DID WIN MORE SUPERBOWLS... But your superbowl wins were made for TV. When you see the Montana to Rice combo, sure that's bloody great (Probably better then Stockton/Malone) But our QB's were average guys making names for themselves not by there skillsets but rather by the fantastic O-line work Otto,Upshaw and Shell were doing. I really hate having to argue this xbaywarrior cause the Niners have a special place in my heart '2nd FAVE TEAM' But i'll never be truley able to respect them cause we all know what happens on the other side of the bridge. Real men wear Black. Niner's fans wear pink... if you know what i'm saying>
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:10 am
O.G pawnograffiti wrote:

We had Marcus Allen
We had Jim Otto.
We had Art Shell.
We had Gene Upshaw
We had Bo Jackson
We had Ted Hendricks
We had Stablier
We had Gannon
We had KFC
We had Casper
We had Lyle Azadalo

And they had Jerry Rice... Case closed. Only Walter Payton is above Jerry Rice (and even that's arguable).

O.G pawnograffiti wrote:But i'll never be truley able to respect them cause we all know what happens on the other side of the bridge. Real men wear Black. Niner's fans wear pink... if you know what i'm saying>

Yeah, and on the other side of the bridge real men wear Dunleavy jerseys, right? :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:17 am
Buffalo at Detroit- Detroit need a win... But i like Buffalo and what they been doing. Big rebound from last week against Chicago.

Carolina at Baltimore.... Delhomme meet Ray Lewis

Cincinnati at Tampa Bay... THE TMC nightmare continues

Houston at Dallas ... THE T.O Nightmare continues (Nightmare for some. Just an ordinary day in the life of Terrel Owens)

N.Y. Giants at Atlanta.... Run Forest Run... urh i mean RUN VICK UN.

Philadelphia at New Orleans... McNabb is playing with a cannon. This season is just to prove T.O is overrated.

Seattle at St. Louis.... I don't want to pick Seattle over St Louis but The Madden curse continues. and Nelly might just even have a bandaid and gap toothpick packed for Shawn Alexander.

Tennessee at Washington Vince Young welcome to the nations capital

Kansas City at Pittsburgh Tony G B missng T Green!
Miami at N.Y. Jets Curtis Martin railroad company.... RUNNING EXPRESS

San Diego at San Francisco .... For XBayWarrior lifes hard decisions go hand in hand. Remote in one hand and KY Jelly in the other, now you just need to decide which team to jerk... urh i mean pulll... urh i mean root for. :mrgreen:

Oakland at Denver... <insert hope here>

Monday, Oct. 16
Chicago at Arizona... Did i really pick Buffalo last week to defeat te Bears... damn that some good hallucagenics. Pawno staying well clear of the drugs and rational decisioning this weekend :shock:
[/b]
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:47 am
Yay, the picks...

Buffalo at Detroit.- Detroit has to win one game someday... and I won't pick Buffalo on the road.

Carolina at Baltimore.- Carolina always loses key players to injuries (Dan Morgan will miss the rest of the season, and he's one of the few Carolina players with no clear replacement), and that's going to take its toll at some point. The Ravens are healthy, playing at home and with a truly great defense. Close game, but one the Ravens should win.

Cincinnati at Tampa Bay.- <Insert hope here>

Houston at Dallas.- Another easy game for Dallas.

N.Y. Giants at Atlanta.- The Gianst played great defense last weekend, but the Falcons can run above anyone.

Philadelphia at New Orleans.- Philly's too good for Nawleans...

Seattle at St. Louis.- Hard to predict. I'm going with Seattle, and I think they'll win from the defense... but it can go to either side.

Tennessee at Washington.- The Titans tried all their tricks against Indy last week... won't play as well against the Redskins.

Kansas City at Pittsburgh.- Roethjklsafjlkburger needs to wake up if they still have any hope of going to the playoffs.

Miami at N.Y. Jets.- The Jets will play for their life this game. Mangini will cut anyone who doesn't after last week's debacle.

San Diego at San Francisco.- Another easy one for the Chargers. The Niners ain't at that level yet. Remember the Niners vs Philly game?.

Oakland at Denver.- <Insert joke here> :mrgreen:

Chicago at Arizona.- They'll eat the Cards alive.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:22 pm
O.G pawnograffiti wrote:
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:

We had Marcus Allen
We had Jim Otto.
We had Art Shell.
We had Gene Upshaw
We had Bo Jackson
We had Ted Hendricks
We had Stablier
We had Gannon
We had KFC
We had Casper
We had Lyle Azadalo

<PLEASE GET OFF THIS 49'ERS FANTASYTIP. YOU GUYS DID WIN MORE SUPERBOWLS... But your superbowl wins were made for TV. When you see the Montana to Rice combo, sure that's bloody great (Probably better then Stockton/Malone) But our QB's were average guys making names for themselves not by there skillsets but rather by the fantastic O-line work Otto,Upshaw and Shell were doing. I really hate having to argue this xbaywarrior cause the Niners have a special place in my heart '2nd FAVE TEAM' But i'll never be truley able to respect them cause we all know what happens on the other side of the bridge. Real men wear Black. Niner's fans wear pink... if you know what i'm saying>

No I don't know what you're saying. I rather argue with a Cowgirls fan than a Raiders fan because even though they are across the bay, the Niners will always be better than the Cowgirls. Case closed.

But I'd like to add just for fun...

We had Leo Nomellini
We had Joe Perry
We had Hugh McElhenny
We had Y.A. Tittle
We had John Johnson
We had Bob St. Clair
We had Bill Walsh
We had Jimmy Johnson
We had Joe Montana
We had Ronnie Lott
We had Dave Wilcox
We had Steve Young

That was just for fun since you start the whole "We Had" thing. That refreshed my Niners memory. Now lets get down to business...

Buffalo at Detroit - Detroit. Like TMC said, they'll have to win sometime right? I'll take Kitna over Losman.

Carolina at Baltimore - Carolina. I like the Ravens defense more even though Fox is a better defensive guy than Billick. No more Dan Morgan at MLB is huge. This will be a defensive game though. It'll come down to whichever QB steps up.

Cincinnati at Tampa Bay - Cincinnati. They look to rebound after suffering the blowout loss against the Patriots.

Houston at Dallas - Dallas. If they lose you, know who'll be the new QB. And let me tell you, Parcells love some Romo. Bledsoe should have a much better week.

N.Y. Giants at Atlanta - Atlanta. I'll take Vick over Manning in this one. Both have good defenses, but Atlanta has the better.

Philadelphia at New Orleans - Philadelphia. The Saints have tough schedule ahead, and it starts here against the Eagles defense that completely dismantled and destructed Drew Bledsoe. Drew Brees will feel the heat too.

Seattle at St. Louis - St. Louis. I have a gut feeling I'm going to lose out on this one but the way the Rams are playing, I like their chances.

Tennessee at Washington - Washington. I know their much better than the Colts at stopping the run.

Kansas City at Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh. They come out of the slump this week because Larry Johnson isn't 100% from that sore neck injury sustained at the Cardinals game.

Miami at N.Y. Jets - New York. I'm sorry Saban and I'm sorry Harrington but no one should trust Joey. Culpepper was the wrong man to go after.

San Diego at San Francisco - San Diego. The Niners have been playing well. The Eagles game was one they could've won, it just came down to turnovers. I'd expect this game to be just like the Eagles/Niners.

Oakland at Denver - Denver. This is going to clearly be a defensive battle. :wink:

Chicago at Arizona - Chicago. At least Matt Leinart's confident. Wonder how the O-Line is.
Last edited by xbay on Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:23 am
TMC wrote:
O.G pawnograffiti wrote:

We had Marcus Allen
We had Jim Otto.
We had Art Shell.
We had Gene Upshaw
We had Bo Jackson
We had Ted Hendricks
We had Stablier
We had Gannon
We had KFC
We had Casper
We had Lyle Azadalo

And they had Jerry Rice... Case closed. Only Walter Payton is above Jerry Rice (and even that's arguable).

O.G pawnograffiti wrote:But i'll never be truley able to respect them cause we all know what happens on the other side of the bridge. Real men wear Black. Niner's fans wear pink... if you know what i'm saying>

Yeah, and on the other side of the bridge real men wear Dunleavy jerseys, right? :mrgreen:

Walter Payton that's the arguement case closed. Jerry Rice is and was good but like Randy Moss has shown your a nobody unless you got good QB production.

Jerry had Gannon,Montana,Young etc ( Don't know bout QB... in Seattle ) But tell me how good would Jerry Rice be with a Kerry Collins or a John Kitna <He'd be nothing>

Walter Payton creates his offense (You could argue the run blocking helps) But with runningbacks that's all you got to worry bout.

When your a reciever you got to have a good QB and good pass blocking.

( I think you can compare Montana/Jerry Rice to Stockton/Malone in that without Stockton's Assists you wouldn't have Malones points and (vice versa) and without Jerry Rices hands you wouldn't have Montana's completed passes- BUT WITH WALTER... HIS MICHAEL JORDAN. HE CREATES HIS OWN OFFENCE.... Would you agree with that?

TMC:
Dunleavy is a full blooded Oakland gangsta...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:08 am
O.G pawnograffiti wrote:Walter Payton that's the arguement case closed. Jerry Rice is and was good but like Randy Moss has shown your a nobody unless you got good QB production.

Jerry had Gannon,Montana,Young etc ( Don't know bout QB... in Seattle ) But tell me how good would Jerry Rice be with a Kerry Collins or a John Kitna <He'd be nothing>

Walter Payton creates his offense (You could argue the run blocking helps) But with runningbacks that's all you got to worry bout.

When your a reciever you got to have a good QB and good pass blocking.

( I think you can compare Montana/Jerry Rice to Stockton/Malone in that without Stockton's Assists you wouldn't have Malones points and (vice versa) and without Jerry Rices hands you wouldn't have Montana's completed passes- BUT WITH WALTER... HIS MICHAEL JORDAN. HE CREATES HIS OWN OFFENCE.... Would you agree with that?

I'd pick Payton above Jerry, but that's just a personal preference. I can understand both sides of the argument.

I do think that Jerry was bigger than his QBs and he would have been great with any QB. He was just lucky to have great QBs.

O.G pawnograffiti wrote:TMC:
Dunleavy is a full blooded Oakland gangsta...

::lol:

Now that's funny... and Zarko is his b*tch. :mrgreen:
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board