The NFL thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:43 pm
drfrank wrote:did you pick the cowboys to win?

i'm about to go 11-2 because i thought the defending champs would show up against a "rookie" qb. the steelers were/are a fluke.

Initially yes. At first I thought Glenn and Jones would be a factor but I forgot the fact that the Eagles can play defense so I changed it up on Friday or Saturday because I thought the Eagles were more motivated and I heard how much Trotter and Dawkins and others were preparing for the showdown. So I'm now 12-1 with my faith in the Broncos to hand the Ravens their first lost to make it 13-1.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:10 am
FuQ you Xbaywarrior. why dont you feel sorry ffor my team

Shells is gonna instill beating division rivals for the rest of the season. just wait till we tour to Sandiego and open a can of victory on u and your ugly MErrimen.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:57 am
I'm 11-2 this week, and only the Redskins and my loyalty for the Bucs kept me from a perfect record. :headbang:

xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:TMC, I feel sorry for your team man. You guys almost had it. But then you forgot that Reggie Bush can return punts for TD's also. Ain't he fast or what? That's what I call speed.

Bruce was great yesterday. I'm pretty excited about him after the way he played. If he keeps playing like that the rest of the season we won't need to go for Quinn in the draft...

I don't know about RotY, tho. He's been impressive for his first game, and he's a qb, so everything he does is magnified by the position, but Maurice Jones-Drew is playing great and, to me, the best offensive rookie so far is Marcus McNeil, the Chargers tackle. He's been outstanding so far... but playing tackle it's gotta be hard for him to win it. He'd get my vote, anyways.

The bad news is that our defense is slow (probably due to age), and that means that is pretty useless, as the Tampa 2 system is based on speed. That leads to a bend-don't-break defense that allows a lot of yardage each game... and sometimes even a big play that ruins the game (like Bush's return for a td).

Other bad news is that, if Bruce keeps playing like this, even tho we ain't going anywhere, the #1 pick will be a toss up between the Raiders and the Lions.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:02 am
TMC wrote:I'm 11-2 this week, and only the Redskins and my loyalty for the Bucs kept me from a perfect record. :headbang:

xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:TMC, I feel sorry for your team man. You guys almost had it. But then you forgot that Reggie Bush can return punts for TD's also. Ain't he fast or what? That's what I call speed.

Bruce was great yesterday. I'm pretty excited about him after the way he played. If he keeps playing like that the rest of the season we won't need to go for Quinn in the draft...

I don't know about RotY, tho. He's been impressive for his first game, and he's a qb, so everything he does is magnified by the position, but Maurice Jones-Drew is playing great and, to me, the best offensive rookie so far is Marcus McNeil, the Chargers tackle. He's been outstanding so far... but playing tackle it's gotta be hard for him to win it. He'd get my vote, anyways.

The bad news is that our defense is slow (probably due to age), and that means that is pretty useless, as the Tampa 2 system is based on speed. That leads to a bend-don't-break defense that allows a lot of yardage each game... and sometimes even a big play that ruins the game (like Bush's return for a td).

Other bad news is that, if Bruce keeps playing like this, even tho we ain't going anywhere, the #1 pick will be a toss up between the Raiders and the Lions.

Yeah I liked how the kid started. If he keeps playing like this, Simms will have to work for his job.

As for pawno. I have little sympathy for your Raiders. Especially since they lost the game mentally also. It was those mental errors and horrible reads by Walter that triggered the loss. And more bad news for ya...you have competition for that 1st pick.

Also please remember to never trash talk in the NFL. It gets you no where. Last week it was Chad Johnson. This week it was Bledsoe telling the Eagles defense to come get him. And well, they did get him. Howard, Walker, he got hit bad by the Eagles secondary when he ran for the TD.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:04 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:As for pawno. I have little sympathy for your Raiders. Especially since they lost the game mentally also. It was those mental errors and horrible reads by Walter that triggered the loss. And more bad news for ya...you have competition for that 1st pick.

The Lions are better. The #1 pick is Oakland's to lose... :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:11 am
TMC wrote:
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:As for pawno. I have little sympathy for your Raiders. Especially since they lost the game mentally also. It was those mental errors and horrible reads by Walter that triggered the loss. And more bad news for ya...you have competition for that 1st pick.

The Lions are better. The #1 pick is Oakland's to lose... :mrgreen:

Ah that's too bad. Winless season? Has a solid chance. And that offseason will be one long one. Porter will be gone most likely. And Depending on Moss' morale, he'll be gone. So pawno, prepare for the worst bud.

I'm not jumping on the Gradowski bandwagon just yet, but I'll be sure to hop on it once he proves he's the man in the next couple games.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:21 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Ah that's too bad. Winless season? Has a solid chance. And that offseason will be one long one. Porter will be gone most likely. And Depending on Moss' morale, he'll be gone. So pawno, prepare for the worst bud.

The only team bad enough to have a winless season I've seen was the Chargers during the Ryan Leaf era... and still won one game. These Raiders are going to give then a run for their money.

It would be funny if, after the Raiders won their SECOND game of the season, those Chargers had a party similar to one the Dolphins' perfect season components have every year after the last unbeaten team loses their first game. :mrgreen:

xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:I'm not jumping on the Gradowski bandwagon just yet, but I'll be sure to hop on it once he proves he's the man in the next couple games.

We also have a pretty tough schedule... our next rivals are the Bengals and Eagles in Tampa... Gradkowski is going to have a rough season this year. If he does well, we'll have our qb of the future.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:21 pm
Great defensive game with the Broncos and Ravens. C'mon Broncos.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:33 pm
will the broncos beat the raiders next week?

thoughts.....
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:18 pm
drfrank wrote:will the broncos beat the raiders next week?

thoughts.....

Oh God I hope so. Tatum Bell should have a great day against this horrible run stopping defense. Jake Plummer should be able to get in a better rhythm now that he faces a less challenging secondary. So even though the Raiders play solid in the secondary, Walker and Smith should be used well. Andrew Walter will have a bad game, or at least should because this is the Broncos defense he's taking on. Bailey, Foxworth, Lynch, Williams, Gold, Wilson, just to name a few. Those guys will create a nightmare for the offense of the Raiders. I'm sorry Raider fans(pawno) but they'll be lucky to even get a FG up. To make this short, the Broncos should put a whooping on the Raiders.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:44 pm

thoughts.....

To simply put it i think Shell is gonna focus on winning division rival games this season. they are way out of playoff contention but what has made us faulter in years passed is this horrible record against Broncos,Chargers and Chiefs

If we can pull off wins against these 3 powerhouses then it makes it easier for us to at least compete for a AFC West playoff spot ( Not likely this season but we need to have a mental edge for next season )
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:47 pm
O.G pawnograffiti wrote:

thoughts.....

To simply put it i think Shell is gonna focus on winning division rival games this season. they are way out of playoff contention but what has made us faulter in years passed is this horrible record against Broncos,Chargers and Chiefs

If we can pull off wins against these 3 powerhouses then it makes it easier for us to at least compete for a AFC West playoff spot ( Not likely this season but we need to have a mental edge for next season )

Yeah but even if they did their season would end 6-10. But wins like that will be something for people to really take notice.

O.G pawnograffiti wrote:Last time the Raiders beat a division rival was in 2004 in Denver. In the snow on a Warren Sapp block (CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG)

Anyhow Tatum Bell is no running game of Larry Johnson or LT. I think the RAIDERS Secondary is gonna eat Plummer alive...

But then i think John Lynch will be eating Andrew Walter for breakfast too.

Jake Plummer should have a better rhythm against the secondary though. They'll be facing Javon Walker and Rod Smith, not Antonio Bryant and Arnaz Battle. Bell may not be an LT or LJ but the Raiders are ranked 28th in run defense, the Colts being the worst. So keep that in mind. Also remember Andrew Walter has the worst passer rating in the league so expect him to be manhandled, Big Ben has the 2nd worst.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:49 pm
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:

thoughts.....

Oh God I hope so. Tatum Bell should have a great day against this horrible run stopping defense. Jake Plummer should be able to get in a better rhythm now that he faces a less challenging secondary.

I don't think the Raiders defense is so bad as it seems. In fact, it's a pretty decent unit... but that hideous offense is destroying the team. So, for next week, I almost expect a blowout (and then I remember the rivalry, so maybe the Raiders, if they are lucky, will score ONE td). :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:50 pm
Last time the Raiders beat a division rival was in 2004 in Denver. In the snow on a Warren Sapp block (CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG)

Anyhow Tatum Bell is no running game of Larry Johnson or LT. I think the RAIDERS Secondary is gonna eat Plummer alive...

But then i think John Lynch will be eating Andrew Walter for breakfast too.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:54 pm
O.G pawnograffiti wrote:Last time the Raiders beat a division rival was in 2004 in Denver. In the snow on a Warren Sapp block (CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG)

I don't remember the Sapp play... but that was the snow game with the Curry td, am I wrong?

Anyway, that was a different game. The Raiders were a much better team... at least, they had something that could be mistaken for an offense.

btw, I've already updated the global records post in the first page.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board