The NFL thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Hall of Famer
» Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:57 am
I'm 11-2 this week, and only the Redskins and my loyalty for the Bucs kept me from a perfect record. :headbang:

xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:TMC, I feel sorry for your team man. You guys almost had it. But then you forgot that Reggie Bush can return punts for TD's also. Ain't he fast or what? That's what I call speed.

Bruce was great yesterday. I'm pretty excited about him after the way he played. If he keeps playing like that the rest of the season we won't need to go for Quinn in the draft...

I don't know about RotY, tho. He's been impressive for his first game, and he's a qb, so everything he does is magnified by the position, but Maurice Jones-Drew is playing great and, to me, the best offensive rookie so far is Marcus McNeil, the Chargers tackle. He's been outstanding so far... but playing tackle it's gotta be hard for him to win it. He'd get my vote, anyways.

The bad news is that our defense is slow (probably due to age), and that means that is pretty useless, as the Tampa 2 system is based on speed. That leads to a bend-don't-break defense that allows a lot of yardage each game... and sometimes even a big play that ruins the game (like Bush's return for a td).

Other bad news is that, if Bruce keeps playing like this, even tho we ain't going anywhere, the #1 pick will be a toss up between the Raiders and the Lions.

Franchise Player
» Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:02 am
TMC wrote:I'm 11-2 this week, and only the Redskins and my loyalty for the Bucs kept me from a perfect record. :headbang:

xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:TMC, I feel sorry for your team man. You guys almost had it. But then you forgot that Reggie Bush can return punts for TD's also. Ain't he fast or what? That's what I call speed.

Bruce was great yesterday. I'm pretty excited about him after the way he played. If he keeps playing like that the rest of the season we won't need to go for Quinn in the draft...

I don't know about RotY, tho. He's been impressive for his first game, and he's a qb, so everything he does is magnified by the position, but Maurice Jones-Drew is playing great and, to me, the best offensive rookie so far is Marcus McNeil, the Chargers tackle. He's been outstanding so far... but playing tackle it's gotta be hard for him to win it. He'd get my vote, anyways.

The bad news is that our defense is slow (probably due to age), and that means that is pretty useless, as the Tampa 2 system is based on speed. That leads to a bend-don't-break defense that allows a lot of yardage each game... and sometimes even a big play that ruins the game (like Bush's return for a td).

Other bad news is that, if Bruce keeps playing like this, even tho we ain't going anywhere, the #1 pick will be a toss up between the Raiders and the Lions.

Yeah I liked how the kid started. If he keeps playing like this, Simms will have to work for his job.

As for pawno. I have little sympathy for your Raiders. Especially since they lost the game mentally also. It was those mental errors and horrible reads by Walter that triggered the loss. And more bad news for ya...you have competition for that 1st pick.

Also please remember to never trash talk in the NFL. It gets you no where. Last week it was Chad Johnson. This week it was Bledsoe telling the Eagles defense to come get him. And well, they did get him. Howard, Walker, he got hit bad by the Eagles secondary when he ran for the TD.

Hall of Famer
» Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:04 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:As for pawno. I have little sympathy for your Raiders. Especially since they lost the game mentally also. It was those mental errors and horrible reads by Walter that triggered the loss. And more bad news for ya...you have competition for that 1st pick.

The Lions are better. The #1 pick is Oakland's to lose... :mrgreen:

Franchise Player
» Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:11 am
TMC wrote:
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:As for pawno. I have little sympathy for your Raiders. Especially since they lost the game mentally also. It was those mental errors and horrible reads by Walter that triggered the loss. And more bad news for ya...you have competition for that 1st pick.

The Lions are better. The #1 pick is Oakland's to lose... :mrgreen:

Ah that's too bad. Winless season? Has a solid chance. And that offseason will be one long one. Porter will be gone most likely. And Depending on Moss' morale, he'll be gone. So pawno, prepare for the worst bud.

I'm not jumping on the Gradowski bandwagon just yet, but I'll be sure to hop on it once he proves he's the man in the next couple games.

Hall of Famer
» Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:21 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Ah that's too bad. Winless season? Has a solid chance. And that offseason will be one long one. Porter will be gone most likely. And Depending on Moss' morale, he'll be gone. So pawno, prepare for the worst bud.

The only team bad enough to have a winless season I've seen was the Chargers during the Ryan Leaf era... and still won one game. These Raiders are going to give then a run for their money.

It would be funny if, after the Raiders won their SECOND game of the season, those Chargers had a party similar to one the Dolphins' perfect season components have every year after the last unbeaten team loses their first game. :mrgreen:

xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:I'm not jumping on the Gradowski bandwagon just yet, but I'll be sure to hop on it once he proves he's the man in the next couple games.

We also have a pretty tough schedule... our next rivals are the Bengals and Eagles in Tampa... Gradkowski is going to have a rough season this year. If he does well, we'll have our qb of the future.

Franchise Player
» Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:21 pm
Great defensive game with the Broncos and Ravens. C'mon Broncos.
» Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:33 pm
will the broncos beat the raiders next week?

thoughts.....

Franchise Player
» Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:18 pm
drfrank wrote:will the broncos beat the raiders next week?

thoughts.....

Oh God I hope so. Tatum Bell should have a great day against this horrible run stopping defense. Jake Plummer should be able to get in a better rhythm now that he faces a less challenging secondary. So even though the Raiders play solid in the secondary, Walker and Smith should be used well. Andrew Walter will have a bad game, or at least should because this is the Broncos defense he's taking on. Bailey, Foxworth, Lynch, Williams, Gold, Wilson, just to name a few. Those guys will create a nightmare for the offense of the Raiders. I'm sorry Raider fans(pawno) but they'll be lucky to even get a FG up. To make this short, the Broncos should put a whooping on the Raiders.

Franchise Player
» Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:44 pm

thoughts.....

To simply put it i think Shell is gonna focus on winning division rival games this season. they are way out of playoff contention but what has made us faulter in years passed is this horrible record against Broncos,Chargers and Chiefs

If we can pull off wins against these 3 powerhouses then it makes it easier for us to at least compete for a AFC West playoff spot ( Not likely this season but we need to have a mental edge for next season )

Franchise Player
» Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:47 pm
O.G pawnograffiti wrote:

thoughts.....

To simply put it i think Shell is gonna focus on winning division rival games this season. they are way out of playoff contention but what has made us faulter in years passed is this horrible record against Broncos,Chargers and Chiefs

If we can pull off wins against these 3 powerhouses then it makes it easier for us to at least compete for a AFC West playoff spot ( Not likely this season but we need to have a mental edge for next season )

Yeah but even if they did their season would end 6-10. But wins like that will be something for people to really take notice.

O.G pawnograffiti wrote:Last time the Raiders beat a division rival was in 2004 in Denver. In the snow on a Warren Sapp block (CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG)

Anyhow Tatum Bell is no running game of Larry Johnson or LT. I think the RAIDERS Secondary is gonna eat Plummer alive...

But then i think John Lynch will be eating Andrew Walter for breakfast too.

Jake Plummer should have a better rhythm against the secondary though. They'll be facing Javon Walker and Rod Smith, not Antonio Bryant and Arnaz Battle. Bell may not be an LT or LJ but the Raiders are ranked 28th in run defense, the Colts being the worst. So keep that in mind. Also remember Andrew Walter has the worst passer rating in the league so expect him to be manhandled, Big Ben has the 2nd worst.

Hall of Famer
» Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:49 pm
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:

thoughts.....

Oh God I hope so. Tatum Bell should have a great day against this horrible run stopping defense. Jake Plummer should be able to get in a better rhythm now that he faces a less challenging secondary.

I don't think the Raiders defense is so bad as it seems. In fact, it's a pretty decent unit... but that hideous offense is destroying the team. So, for next week, I almost expect a blowout (and then I remember the rivalry, so maybe the Raiders, if they are lucky, will score ONE td). :mrgreen:

Franchise Player
» Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:50 pm
Last time the Raiders beat a division rival was in 2004 in Denver. In the snow on a Warren Sapp block (CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG)

Anyhow Tatum Bell is no running game of Larry Johnson or LT. I think the RAIDERS Secondary is gonna eat Plummer alive...

But then i think John Lynch will be eating Andrew Walter for breakfast too.

Hall of Famer
» Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:54 pm
O.G pawnograffiti wrote:Last time the Raiders beat a division rival was in 2004 in Denver. In the snow on a Warren Sapp block (CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG)

I don't remember the Sapp play... but that was the snow game with the Curry td, am I wrong?

Anyway, that was a different game. The Raiders were a much better team... at least, they had something that could be mistaken for an offense.

btw, I've already updated the global records post in the first page.

Hall of Famer
» Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:43 am
I'm going to wait till friday to post this week's picks. In the meantime...

TMC'S WEEK 5 POWER RANKINGS

1.- Chicago Bears.- This team has it all. Outstanding defense, effective offense, no injuries... even Benson is starting to show why he was a 4th overall pick. I'm still not sold on Grossman staying healthy through the whole season, but so far so good. Best team in football right now.

2.- Philly Eagles.- The Giants game was a fluke. This team is on track for a great season, and maybe a NFC final game against Chicago. Great defense, one of the best qb of the league and improved receiving corps make this team a contender.

3.- San Diego Chargers.- Another powerhouse for the regular season. Martyball may kill them in the playoffs, but they are showing how dangerous they will be. Phillip Rivers looks better each week.

4.- Seattle Seahawks.- They were crushed by the Bears in their last game, but the Bears are doing that to everybody. They're still one heck of a team, pretty balanced and almost impossible to beat at home. Alexander needs to recover and be a factor if they want to go deep in the playoffs, tho.

5.- Denver Broncos.- One tough team that gets away with wins through defense. Not sure they can go deep with Plummer, tho. He's the Jekill and Hyde of the NFL. They'd go much higher if they were playing always at Denver.

6.- Baltimore Ravens.- Great defense. Suspectful offense... Same ol' story with the Ravens. They'll be competitive as long as they stay healthy.

7.- Atlanta Falcons.- Vick can't pass... but who cares if they can win games just by running over the rivals?. John Abraham's return will make them even better on defense.

8.- Indianapolis Colts.- They should be higher... but barely winning against the Titans is dreadful for a contender. Being a known choker doesn't help, either.

9.- Cincy Bengals.- The exact opposite of the Ravens. Great offense, suspectful defense... and Odell Thurman's suspension for the season doesn't help. The defense creates turnovers, but can't stop anybody. One game without those turnovers and they're done.

10.- Jacksonville Jaguars.- This team is getting killed by injuries. Mike Peterson loss is a huge blow, as they don't have anybody to replace him... They're playing like contenders, but I don't know if they'll be able to overcome the injury bug.

Now without comments (32 teams are too much for comments on every team... that, and I don't have the time right now :wink: ).

11.- New England Patriots

12.- Carolina Panthers

13.- New Orleans Saints

14.- Pittsburgh Steelers

15.- New York Giants

16.- St. Louis Rams

17.- Minnesota Vikings

18.- Dallas Cowboys

19.- Minnesota Vikings

20.- Kansas City Chiefs

21.- Buffalo Bills

22.- San Francisco 49ers

23.- New York Jets

24.- Cleveland Browns

25.- Miami Dolphins

26.- Arizona Cardinals

27.- Tampa Bay Buccaneers

28.- Green Bay Packers

29.- Tennesse Titans

30.- Houston Texans

31.- Detroit Lions

32.- Oakland Raiders

Franchise Player
» Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:26 pm
Nice, but I'd think the Ravens would fall just a bit more. They played great defense against the Broncos, but they didn't get the win. I also think the Pats are better than the Jags regardless of how Tom Brady is playing. The defense is carrying them and the Patriots keep winning. Why? Their names are Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. But overall, I like the rankings.