The NFL thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32


Starting Lineup
Posts: 886
» Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:54 pm
I don't think Brady should be comeback player of the year. I think it should have gone to somebody who has actually a surprise. We all knew where Brady would be when he came back. They even further catered the rules for him.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:09 am
Tarantism wrote:I don't think Brady should be comeback player of the year. I think it should have gone to somebody who has actually a surprise. We all knew where Brady would be when he came back. They even further catered the rules for him.


Yeah, Caddy was the obvious winner here, because he wasn't even expected to make the team in preseason. But Brady had this award given to him since he played the very first game of the regular season.

Moderator
Posts: 5370
» Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:48 am
TMC wrote:Not to beat on a dead horse, but I want to share some statistics about the job Ryan has done in NY:

• The 2008 Jets ranked 22nd in Defensive Passer Rating (88.1). The 2009 Jets are No. 1 (58.8 ).

• The 2008 Jets ranked 23rd in touchdown passes allowed (23). The 2009 Jets are No. 1 (8 ).

• The 2008 Jets ranked 16th in total defense (329.4 YPG). The 2009 Jets are No. 1 (252.3).

• The 2008 Jets ranked 18th in scoring defense (22.2 PPG). The 2009 Jets are No. 1 (14.8 PG).

• The 2008 Jets ranked 13th in points allowed vs. Quality Opponents (22.7). The 2009 Jets are No. 1 in points allowed vs. Quality Opponents (13.7).

• The 2008 Jets ranked 29th in pass defense (234.9 YPG). The 2009 Jets are No. 1 (153.7).

• The 2008 Jets ranked 18th in passing yards per attempt allowed (7.0 YPA). The 2009 Jets are No. 1 (5.4 YPA).

• The 2008 Jets ranked 15th in third-down defense (61.4%) The 2009 Jets are No. 1 (68.5%).



http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3074_By_the_numbers:_2008_Jets_D_vs._2009_Jets_D.html

That's what I call a great coaching job. The improvement is clear, even if it doesn't show in the final record.


I agree TMC in regards to improving quality of play, but "you play to win the game"... if the wins are the same, its not "improving your record", which should be the ultimate indicator.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:18 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:I agree TMC in regards to improving quality of play, but "you play to win the game"... if the wins are the same, its not "improving your record", which should be the ultimate indicator.


True, but every year is a different year in the NFL. You have to consider other factors as well, like strength of schedule, replacing Favre with a rookie, changing systems from one year to the next...




Ok, more news:

* Mangini is staying with the Browns. I think he deserves to come back, after the way his Browns improved during the last month... but, at the same time, I don't think he'll fit right in with Holmgrem's phylosophy. I think he'll need a BIG season, maybe even playoffs, to coach past next season.

* Charlie Weis is back in the NFL, as O-Coordinator of the Chiefs. Not really surprising, with Pioli calling the shots there, but, at the same time, I've got the feeling they've hired Todd Haley's replacement in case next season is also a failure...

* On paper, the NFC South and NFC West are the two best divisions when it comes to strength of schedule for next year, while the AFC South has the hardest. On paper... because we all know everything can change from one year to the next in the NFL.

Here's the complete table, team by team:

http://www.theredzone.org/strength.asp

Moderator
Posts: 5370
» Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:57 pm
TMC wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:I agree TMC in regards to improving quality of play, but "you play to win the game"... if the wins are the same, its not "improving your record", which should be the ultimate indicator.


True, but every year is a different year in the NFL. You have to consider other factors as well, like strength of schedule, replacing Favre with a rookie, changing systems from one year to the next...




Ok, more news:

* Mangini is staying with the Browns. I think he deserves to come back, after the way his Browns improved during the last month... but, at the same time, I don't think he'll fit right in with Holmgrem's phylosophy. I think he'll need a BIG season, maybe even playoffs, to coach past next season.

* Charlie Weis is back in the NFL, as O-Coordinator of the Chiefs. Not really surprising, with Pioli calling the shots there, but, at the same time, I've got the feeling they've hired Todd Haley's replacement in case next season is also a failure...

* On paper, the NFC South and NFC West are the two best divisions when it comes to strength of schedule for next year, while the AFC South has the hardest. On paper... because we all know everything can change from one year to the next in the NFL.

Here's the complete table, team by team:

http://www.theredzone.org/strength.asp


Haley and Weis are really good friends, since their days when they shared an office while in the Jets coaching staff. I think Haley and Pioli both mutually agreed on the hire.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:40 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Haley and Weis are really good friends, since their days when they shared an office while in the Jets coaching staff. I think Haley and Pioli both mutually agreed on the hire.


Oh, I know, and I'm sure they'll have a good relationship and everybody is on the same boat. But, at the same time, I don't think the Chiefs will doubt much about making Weis the HC in case they have a 2-win season next year (which I don't think will be the case, but I've seen almost anything in the NFL).

Moderator
Posts: 5370
» Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:44 am
TMC wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Haley and Weis are really good friends, since their days when they shared an office while in the Jets coaching staff. I think Haley and Pioli both mutually agreed on the hire.


Oh, I know, and I'm sure they'll have a good relationship and everybody is on the same boat. But, at the same time, I don't think the Chiefs will doubt much about making Weis the HC in case they have a 2-win season next year (which I don't think will be the case, but I've seen almost anything in the NFL).


i can agree to that! Teams are always looking for extra insurance.


IN OTHER NEWS, Peyton Manning wins his 4th MVP award and rightly so. The voting wasn't even close. Second was Brees.

Anyone who still tries to argue that Brady is better then Manning is an absolute idiot. Manning is the greatest QB in the history of the game, and its been such a privileged to have been seeing him play as I've grown up. Anyone else think he will be an amazing coach once he retires? He might be the only superstar athlete I can ever say that about in this era.

anyway, well deserved MVP.
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 6107
» Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:56 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:IN OTHER NEWS, Peyton Manning wins his 4th MVP award and rightly so. The voting wasn't even close. Second was Brees.

Anyone who still tries to argue that Brady is better then Manning is an absolute idiot. Manning is the greatest QB in the history of the game, and its been such a privileged to have been seeing him play as I've grown up. Anyone else think he will be an amazing coach once he retires? He might be the only superstar athlete I can ever say that about in this era.

anyway, well deserved MVP.


Agreed completely. There is nobody better in today's game and nobody better I have ever seen. Obviously never seen guys like Unitas and such, but grew up with Bradhaw, Staubach, Montana, Marino, and Elway and Manning is better then them all in my opinion.
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 6107
» Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:17 pm
Dalls put the whooping on the Eagles. Eagles just could not play the with Boys this season. A bit suprising (although I did pick the Boys to win)

Moderator
Posts: 5370
» Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:20 am
gosh, both my picks were off. The Cowboys looked amazing. That defense has played real well these last several weeks. Give it to Wade Phillips to save his job.

The Jets looked alright. Nothing special. I think the Bengals looked awful.

Can't wait until tomorrows games. Both will be fun to watch.
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 9163
» Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:34 am
Both teams disappointed me. Here's to the Packers and Ravens winning tomorrow.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:46 am
I'm not surprised with the Cowboys win. I thought both teams had a good chance to win, and it showed. It's just that the Cowboys D looked a lot better than Philly's and I don't think Reid did the right thing ignoring the running game. That was the big difference between both offenses, and one that proved costly for Philly.


As for the Bengals... pathetic. Cedric Benson looked great, but that's about the only positive for Cincy. Their D was totally unable to stop Greene, even knowing what was coming. I think they missed Maualuga (sp?) a lot, but still... a top D has to better than that.




As for today... GO RAVENS!!!

Role Player
Posts: 288
» Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:38 am
21-0 Ravens . . in the 1st qtr! hahaha such a pleasure seeing the pats like this.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:45 am
Wow. 24-0 in the first. So far, the Ravens are spanking the Pats.

Moderator
Posts: 5370
» Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:04 pm
TMC wrote:Wow. 24-0 in the first. So far, the Ravens are spanking the Pats.


Pats lucky that Ravens didn't challenge that muff punt play.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests