Mixed Martial Arts Fans??

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:27 am
Any Mixed Martial Arts fans in here?? If so what organisations do you prefer? eg. PRIDE or UFC?? and who are your favourite fighters?

Personally I don't really have too much of a preference for organisations, although the UFC's last effort was pretty weak. As for my Favourite fighters, I've listed a few below.

Matt Hughes

Fedor Emelianenko

Rich Franklin

Forrest Griffin

Cro Cop

George St Pierre

& Andrei Arlovski (even though his last performance was crap)

Cheers.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:51 am
breezer_79 wrote:Any Mixed Martial Arts fans in here?? If so what organisations do you prefer? eg. PRIDE or UFC?? and who are your favourite fighters?

Personally I don't really have too much of a preference for organisations, although the UFC's last effort was pretty weak. As for my Favourite fighters, I've listed a few below.

Matt Hughes

Fedor Emelianenko

Rich Franklin

Forrest Griffin

Cro Cop

George St Pierre

& Andrei Arlovski (even though his last performance was crap)

Cheers.

Really into fighting! I've been learning brazilian jiu jitsu for over a year now and kickboxing for a year. I got into it when I saw UFC 1 a few years ago but really got into it when I saw Matt Hughes's fights two years ago. Hughes is something special and he is the standard right now. Rich Frankiln is also a great fighter. The Gracies brought jiu jitsu in and that is the most effective way of fighting there is! Take a man to the ground and he is screwed!

migya make the ring fall on ya
Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:57 am
I wouldn't say BJJ is the greatest style of fighting their is.....it is however one of the most effective forms of ground fighting their is, and just about the only way to fight from your back. Me? I love to see a good stand up battle, I'm pretty common like that :wink: but still love seeing some great grappling like this.

Cheers.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:02 am
Gotta know every way of fighting but held up individually, jiu jitsu wins hands down! Just as Royce Gracie showed in the first UFCs, jiu jitsu is just a dominating way of fighting, eliminating standup fighting effectiveness and taking control.

For me, jiu jitsu has been a near revelation

Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:05 am
I dunno, BJJ is great....when you're fighting someone on the ground who doesn't know what they're doing (like me) lol, but when you come up against a guy like Matt Hughes who knows how to defend against a good grappling game.....you get OWNED. Just ask Royce. :wink:
Cheers.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:22 am
I said each martial art individually against each other, jiu jitsu wins out. MMA is basically jiu jitsu and kickboxing, the ground and stand up martial arts. Not every martial art there is but enough to be extremely effective

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:39 am
The only mixed martial arts I know of require (at least) a woman to be effective... The rest are gay. 8)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:56 am
TMC wrote:The only mixed martial arts I know of require (at least) a woman to be effective... The rest are gay. 8)

You mean marital arts :)

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:00 am
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:The only mixed martial arts I know of require (at least) a woman to be effective... The rest are gay. 8)

You mean marital arts :)

Yeah, well, whatever... :oops: :mrgreen:
Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:11 am
MMA is basically jiu jitsu and kickboxing

I get what you're saying, but I think there's a little more too it than just BJJ and Muay Thai. In fact alot of the dominant MMA guys out there at the moment have strong Greco-Roman wrestling backgrounds, Not to mention some others such as Karo Parisyan and Andrei Arlovski who have a base in other styles such as Judo and Sambo. So while I take your point that BJJ or at least grappling in general is a huge part of an MMA fighters arsenal I do not agree that BJJ is superior to all other Martial Arts by itself.

The Marital Arts are a whole other bag of tricks though.....I'm not their yet, who wants to teach me?? :shock:

Cheers.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:32 am
breezer_79 wrote:The Marital Arts are a whole other bag of tricks though.....I'm not their yet, who wants to teach me?? :shock:

Ask Miggy... he's our resident expert regarding that field. :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:45 am
I did say that BJJ was the most effective form of fighting against other "individual" martial arts by themselves, ie. BJJ v Kickboxing, BJJ v wrestling, BJJ v Karate etc.

I'm no expert, that is, if an expert is someone with many years of experience and someone who lives martial arts every day, I'm certainly not one. I have had a real interest the last two years especially in UFC type of fighting and have been somewhat interested in martial arts, such as Wing Chun, Aikido and Hapkido since I was a kid but nothing anywhere near seriously into it.

I'm more into the technique, counter playing of the fighting style and not into fighting and violence itself. I'll probably move away from being interested as much as I am and only be mildly interested in a couple of years

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:52 am
Yea, recently UFC has gotten me interested in those things.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:02 am
MMa fighters have anear total package and I reckon they would spank any boxer and kickboxer but I don't like the limited thinking of just jiu jitsu and kickboxing. Sometimes in a fight, a fighter has the chance to come in with a front kick to the head but they never do. I'm more in taking what is available, every opening, while always being ready to defend immediately. See that all the time where side kicks are used with no real effect where a quick front kick would probably knock the other guy out.

Jeet Kwon Do has me thinking alot more broadly than MMA and some fighters will start combining other martial arts soon

Return to Sports Board