Thoughts on High School All Americans?

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:18 pm
Wondering what you think about this year's class. my thoughts:

Greg Oden: I think he'll be sort of a wilt/amare type player. He has ridiculous athleticism though not the best shot or handles and should dominate in the post on both sides of the floor.

Kevin Durant: The handles and shot this guy has at 6'10" is crazy (43% from three). He will be truly sui generis and the closest comparison I can think of is Odom if he had actually tried.

OJ Mayo: He has awesome potential but seems to already be showing bad traits. He sat out for two weeks so he'd be ready for the oak hill game and then didn't deliver, much like a certain fat man in miami. An NBA compro would be Wade minus the phenomenal work eithic wade has (if that's possible).

Lawson: Phenomenal handles, numbers look like what monta would have put up on oak hill state and will probably be a similar player to monta.

your thoughts?
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:34 pm
Maybe the Warriors should throw this season to try to get the top pick in the next draft :mrgreen:

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:54 am
I agree on Oden, Amare seems like a valid comparison. But I haven't seen enough of the other guys to have a valid opinion, just highlights...
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:22 am
migya wrote:Maybe the Warriors should throw this season to try to get the top pick in the next draft :mrgreen:

Or maybe the OSU buckeyes will bribe their Thad Five to keep them from leaving after a year
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:38 am
I don't know anything about Lawson.

Mayo seems like he will be okay, but nowhere near where his talents could take him.

Durant could possibly be the best of the class. he took over the spotlight from Oden in the McD's High School game and was just simply too tough to guard. I can see him being a better shooting version of AK47.

Oden is the surest bet and I pray five times an hour that the Warriors land him. He is the best parts of Amare Stoudemire, Chris Webber, and David Robinson. Strength, ball handling/passing, superb defense, and the mentality to be team first and level headed. He is legit as it gets.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:57 am
Thunder wrote:I don't know anything about Lawson.

Mayo seems like he will be okay, but nowhere near where his talents could take him.

Durant could possibly be the best of the class. he took over the spotlight from Oden in the McD's High School game and was just simply too tough to guard. I can see him being a better shooting version of AK47.

Oden is the surest bet and I pray five times an hour that the Warriors land him. He is the best parts of Amare Stoudemire, Chris Webber, and David Robinson. Strength, ball handling/passing, superb defense, and the mentality to be team first and level headed. He is legit as it gets.

only part of this is, we would have to endure a truly wretched season to get Oden, not even the mediocrity we have been accustomed to the past 4 years...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:00 am
tHe_dIsEaSe wrote:Kevin Durant: The handles and shot this guy has at 6'10" is crazy (43% from three). He will be truly sui generis and the closest comparison I can think of is Odom if he had actually tried.

your thoughts?

is this the first ever use of sui generis in a sports forum? I am impressed, disease, you must have gone to a good school :D
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:58 am
coltraning wrote:is this the first ever use of sui generis in a sports forum?

No, I think you might have used it once or twice when speaking of Lebron IIRC
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:50 pm
An update on this,

Kevin Durant is averaging 34-14 over his last three games and making a strong bid for NPOY as a freshman, which is pretty close to unprecedented. Looking more like a sure thing every day

Oden looks NBA ready... but ready to be what is the question. It's looking more and more like he'll be a defensive stud without too much offense a la Zo or Dikembe

Ty Lawson is playing well in limited minutes, as is Wayne Ellington

OJ Mayo beat a ref!
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:22 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:An update on this,

Kevin Durant is averaging 34-14 over his last three games and making a strong bid for NPOY as a freshman, which is pretty close to unprecedented. Looking more like a sure thing every day

Oden looks NBA ready... but ready to be what is the question. It's looking more and more like he'll be a defensive stud without too much offense a la Zo or Dikembe

Ty Lawson is playing well in limited minutes, as is Wayne Ellington

OJ Mayo beat a ref!

Yep, I've been able to watch a couple of games of Durant lately... and wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being the first pick over Oden. Guess it will depend on which team gets to pick first, 'cos you can't go wrong with any of them.

Return to Sports Board