Other (Specify on the post)
38%
Eh, what's the world cup?
13%

Total votes : 8

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:51 am
geez US got tortured by czech republic. 3-0? and i thought game 2 of the finals was bad.

The US were pretty unlucky with the group. That group is the second worst of the whole world cup. They'll be out in the first stage, although they're good enough to win against Ghana.

Also, #32, keep in mind that the world cup takes place each 4 years, and the US soccer team is getting better. I think it's only natural for the US federation to advertise it as much as possible.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:01 am
#32 wrote:The United States has been trying to shove soccer down their citizens throats for the past 25 years so that they can join this world wide party that everybody else (except us) seems to enjoy.

Christ, I've never seen so much blatant propaganda during sporting events. You never see baseball, basketball, or football adds during each others games (unless its a local add), but the World Cup must have gotten 20+ plugs last night during the Miami/Dallas game. Even during a 20 second timeout, they made room to mention World Cup Soccer one more time. It got to the point where me and my buddies just started cracking up at the sheer bluntness of it.

Why in God's name does the US care so much about getting into the soccer fiesta? I'd seriously like to know why they're trying to push something so hard? It's like the friggin WNBA. Nobody cares. But they keep pushing it anyway.

I think that if they want to make soccer a popular sport they should pay the players more. Did you know that the salary cap in the MLS is 2 million dollars for an entire team? They pay entire teams what shaq makes in six games
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:14 am
Soccer players worldwide aren't payed as much as other stars. In fact, I can't think of any player being paid more than 6$ million per year. And sometimes they don't even keep their marketing rights. Although there are a lot of bonuses that other pro sports do not have, like earning part of the transfer...

You're right about the 2 million cap being too low, but I don't think money is all the problem making soccer popular in the US. It's about results. If the team were a contender, there would be more money, more fans and more... well, everything. As it is, it's easier to go to other sports, with more attention, and, thus, more money to earn.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:17 am
SPAIN 4 - UKRAINE 0 :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

And that was the hardest game of the group...
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:36 am
TMC wrote:Soccer players worldwide aren't payed as much as other stars. In fact, I can't think of any player being paid more than 6$ million per year. And sometimes they don't even keep their marketing rights. Although there are a lot of bonuses that other pro sports do not have, like earning part of the transfer...

You're right about the 2 million cap being too low, but I don't think money is all the problem making soccer popular in the US. It's about results. If the team were a contender, there would be more money, more fans and more... well, everything. As it is, it's easier to go to other sports, with more attention, and, thus, more money to earn.

I think that more money would lead to a contender. Nobody wants to dedicate ten hours a day of grueling exhausting practice to something that's gonna let them live upper middle class until their money runs out at fifty years old at which point they have to get a new job or hope that they invested well. When you're playing a pro sport you need the assurance that the money you make will set you for life and you'll never have to worry about money even if you get an amare like injury in your third season.
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:39 am
TMC wrote:SPAIN 4 - UKRAINE 0 :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

wow tmc, it's been a long time since you used that emoticon :roll:
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:40 am
I think that more money would lead to a contender. Nobody wants to dedicate ten hours a day of grueling exhausting practice to something that's gonna let them live upper middle class until their money runs out at fifty years old at which point they have to get a new job or hope that they invested well. When you're playing a pro sport you need the assurance that the money you make will set you for life and you'll never have to worry about money even if you get an amare like injury in your third season.

That's true. But it's a circle. Without the wins, there's no money. Without the money there are no wins...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:41 am
wow tmc, it's been a long time since you used that emoticon :roll:

And still I'm the only one that uses it. :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:33 pm
TMC wrote:SPAIN 4 - UKRAINE 0 :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Spain certainly looked great and they might just go very far this time!

Though I'd love to see a Portugal v Australia final, Portugal v Spain would be my 2nd favourite final :wink:

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:30 pm
TMC wrote:SPAIN 4 - UKRAINE 0

Nobdody expects the spanish inquisition
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:58 pm
Spain certainly looked great and they might just go very far this time!

Though I'd love to see a Portugal v Australia final, Portugal v Spain would be my 2nd favourite final :wink:

I'm just scared of what may happen once the group stage is over. That's where we always fail.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:33 am
Argentina 6 - Serbia 0.

The argentines are looking like the team to beat. That, and they have one of the easiest ways to the final, with only the hosts Germany as a dangerous team.

This sure looks like a good bet right now.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:39 am
That's why I picked Argentina, they're such a skilled team. The elimination rounds will really show who is for real though. The group thing doesn't always show who the best team is so it'll be great to go to the next round

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:17 am
What makes it even more impressive is that the Serbian team had one of the best defenses coming to the world cup. They finished above us in the world cup qualifiers, tying both games.

Today, Portugal-Iran. If Portugal wins, they will qualify for the next stage...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:50 am
Hope they do!

It has been a long time since Portugal has had any real sort of success in the world cup

PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board