Next Big PG?

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Which point guard is going to make the biggest splash in the NBA (not necessarily the soonest, though)

TJ Ford
9%
Marcus Banks
27%
Sebastian Telfair
27%
Shawn Livingston
27%
Nate Robinson
9%
Jose Calderon
No votes

Total votes : 11

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:12 am
zero3zero wrote:You know, I don't think Minny would take 3 1/2 long term contracts, but who knows... I really don't know about Banks though... he's always looked good to me but could never really put it together. NOW THIS IS A STRETCH but maybe he can be a (very) poor mans Billups

The TWolves would security with those longterm contracts, if the players play well, otherwise, yes, it is a hassle for a few years.

Banks is so young! Billups took quite a few years to get to where he is and so don't judge Banks as being average just yet. Defense and playmaking skills are very important for a PG!

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:07 am
drfrank wrote:you'd be giving up too much for KG, migya.

steven asshole smith was talking about a minny - knicks trade.

eddy curry, channing frye, and steve francis for kevin garnett. if mchale considers that, might as well reduce that offer. but we're all dreaming anyway....

Wow. McHale trading with Isiah. I expect the dumbest trade in history. Not sure for what side... but this could be worse than the Vince Carter trade. They could even trade Banks for Frye, Curry and Francis and I wouldn't be surprised.

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:54 am
Billups took quite a few years to get to where he is and so don't judge Banks as being average just yet.....-------------------------------------------------------------
Migya, I only judge on performance and talent. Thats why I gave them a comparison. However, MB, based off what I've seen, can't match CB's rise to fame. Most of that depends on team chemistry and overall b-ball IQ though, thats why I gave him the " poor mans " label----***030***---

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:56 am
Shaun will outplay them all... Well its ( of course ) a tad bit easier with a dominating EB to play with---***030***---
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:20 pm
zero3zero wrote:Billups took quite a few years to get to where he is and so don't judge Banks as being average just yet.....-------------------------------------------------------------
Migya, I only judge on performance and talent. Thats why I gave them a comparison. However, MB, based off what I've seen, can't match CB's rise to fame. Most of that depends on team chemistry and overall b-ball IQ though, thats why I gave him the " poor mans " label----***030***---

Billups got bumped around a few teams, don't forget and he only found a home in the Pistons. Banks has the makings of a star PG I reckon and Mullin could do much worse than him

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:32 pm
migya wrote:Billups got bumped around a few teams, don't forget and he only found a home in the Pistons.

Well, I don't know what 'bumped around' means, but he played over 30 minutes on the Raptors AND Nuggets (not to mention 29 for the Timberwolves and 25 for the Celtics). He had plenty of opportunities to succeed... but it wasn't until he could suck off the teat of Larry Brown's defensive system married with Flip Saunders handing him the reigns in Detroit when he finally became something special. If the system doesn't revolve around Chauncey, he doesn't have the talent to transcend that (like other natural born stars in the league).

I guarentee he's a modern version of what Glen Rice was on the Hornets. Sure, when he's in the town that worships him, he puts up all-star numbers... but if I were a GM, I wouldn't be piling on the talent in a trade for him. More likely than not, Chauncey would turn into a slightly above-average role player in another city.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:51 pm
I just want KG and Banks would be nice also!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:53 am
Banks would be really nice... and more realistically achievable than Garnett. Problem is, we're already stacked at point guard. I hope Monta Ellis moves to shooting guard permanently, because I'd like to keep Will Bynum next year. But, even then, he'd need to wait his turn behind Fisher and Davis.

Aquiring Banks would only make sense if we dished away Fisher in another trade and added Bynum to the Banks trade. Still, it's a long shot.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 pm
#32 wrote:Banks would be really nice... and more realistically achievable than Garnett. Problem is, we're already stacked at point guard. I hope Monta Ellis moves to shooting guard permanently, because I'd like to keep Will Bynum next year. But, even then, he'd need to wait his turn behind Fisher and Davis.

Aquiring Banks would only make sense if we dished away Fisher in another trade and added Bynum to the Banks trade. Still, it's a long shot.

Like I've stated some four times before - Baron, Murphy, dun, Fisher or Taft and this draft's 1st round pick for Garnett and Banks

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:30 pm
"Fisher or Taft" wouldn't work. They both have totally different contracts. Would this trade even work, salary-wise...?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:14 pm
#32 wrote:"Fisher or Taft" wouldn't work. They both have totally different contracts. Would this trade even work, salary-wise...?

I think so because Baron, Murphy and dun have rather big contracts that together even surpase KG's. Fisher's contract would be a benefit if the salary's were not quite right and Taft would probably be more desired by McHale (maybe not) rather than Fisher and he could be in the trade if Fisher's contract was not needed to be included to match the salaries.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:24 pm
Just checked RealGM and says that Banks is a freeagent so that's interesting.

Murphy, dun and Fisher for KG works out alright

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:56 am
Hmmm... I thought Marcus Banks was a free agent next offseason. Weird. Well, that pretty much solidifies his status as never being a Warrior. We wont go after him the offseason where we have 4 PG's on the roster...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:10 am
#32 wrote:Hmmm... I thought Marcus Banks was a free agent next offseason. Weird. Well, that pretty much solidifies his status as never being a Warrior. We wont go after him the offseason where we have 4 PG's on the roster...

He's so good Boston never picked the option for his last season. And it was too late for Minny to do so.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:22 am
And now, after showing incredible game on Minnesoda, Banks will have the chance to sell himself for the cash he deserves. I hope the guy gets a 3-year deal for 12 million. After 3 years (if he's still playing like he did for the Wolves), he can level up on his money.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board