TRUE BLUES

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:38 am
Free agents are the key cuz some of our prospects have already cracked the surface ---***030***---

Top Eight Dodger Pitching Prospects as of Opening Day 2006

Chad Billingsley, RHP
Birthplace: Defiance, OH
Opening Day Age: 21
Acquired: First round pick in 2003
2006 Minor League Stats »
2006 Dodger Stats »
2006 Club(s): Las Vegas (AAA)/Dodgers Johnathan Broxton, RHP
Birthplace: Augusta, GA
Acquired: Second round pick in 2002
2006 Dodger Stats »
2006 Club(s): Las Vegas (AAA)/Dodgers

Scott Elbert, LHP
Birthplace: Portland, OR
Opening Day Age: 20
Acquired: First round pick in 2004
2006 Club(s): Vero Beach (A) Justin Orenduff, RHP
Birthplace: Hagerstown, MD
Opening Day Age: 22
Acquired: First round supplemental pick in 2004
2006 Club(s): Jacksonville (AA)

Hong-Chi Kuo, LHP
Birthplace: Taiwan City, Taiwan
Opening Day Age: 24
Acquired: Signed as a non-drafted free agent in 1999
2006 Dodger Stats »
2006 Club(s): Las Vegas (AAA)/Dodgers Josh Wall, RHP
Birthplace: Walker, LA
Opening Day Age: 19
Acquired: Second round pick in 2005
2006 Club(s): Ogden (R)

Chris Malone, RHP
Birthplace: Santa Clara, CA
Acquired: Signed as a non-drafted free agent in 2004
2006 Club(s): Vero Beach (A) Greg Miller, LHP
Birthplace: Orange, CA
Acquired: First round supplemental pick in 2002
2006 Club(s): Jacksonville (AA)/Las Vegas (AAA)

Top Nine Dodger Position Prospects as of Opening Day 2006

Andy LaRoche, 3B
Birthplace: Fort Scott, KS
Acquired: 39th round pick in 2003
2006 Club(s): Jacksonville (AA)/Las Vegas (AAA) Juan Rivera, SS
Birthplace: San Pedro de Macoris, Dominican Republic
Opening Day Age: 19
Acquired: Signed as a non-drafted free agent in 2003
2006 Club(s): Ogden (R)/Columbus (A)

Russell Martin, C
Birthplace: East York, Ontario, Canada
Opening Day Age: 23
Acquired: 17th round pick in 2002
2006 Dodger Stats »
2006 Club(s): Las Vegas (AAA)/Dodgers Blake Dewitt, INF
Birthplace: Sarasota, FL
Opening Day Age: 20
Acquired: First round pick in 2004
2006 Club(s): Vero Beach (A)

Matt Kemp, OF
Birthplace: Midwest City, OK
Acquired: Sixth round pick in 2003
2006 Dodger Stats »
2006 Club(s): Jacksonville Suns (AA)/Las Vegas 51's (AAA)/Dodgers Tony Abreu, INF
Birthplace: Puerto Plata, DR
Acquired: Signed as a non-drafted free agent in 2002
2006 Club(s): Jacksonville (AA)

Chin-lung Hu, SS
Birthplace: Taiwan City, Taiwan
Acquired: Signed as a non-drafted free agent in 2003
2006 Club(s): Jacksonville Suns (AA) James Loney, 1B
Birthplace: Houston, TX
Acquired: First round pick in 2002
2006 Club(s): Las Vegas (AAA)

Delwyn Young, INF
Birthplace: Los Angeles, CA
Opening Day Age: 23
Acquired: Fourth round pick in 2002
2006 Club(s): Las Vegas (AAA)

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:40 pm
We welcome Juan with open arms...Next up... J Schmiddy***030***
Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:08 pm
You welcome Juan Pierre? Wow. That was the worst contract of the offseason. If the Giants had made that deal I'd puke. Just awful. Pierre is really a 4th outfielder who's fast, so he gets to start. No way in hell did he warrant that contract. He has an awful OBP and is on the decline. See where he is in 2 years, and with the money he's getting, tell me if you still welcome him with open arms.

As for Schmidtty, I'm pretty upset about him going to LA. The one place I didn't want him to go, really. And not just because they're in the same division. Schmidt is done as an ace, though. He getting older, so the 3 year contract is not too bad, but don't expect anything near his best years in SF.
Basketball hope in the City Of Dope?
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:10 pm
I was very suprised he went to the Dodgers. All week I heard Giants fans pissed off with that signing. It seems as if Bochy is bringing in ex-Padres to this team. And any word on Barry? I heard there was something up with him and the team.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:09 pm
This thread has SERIOUSLY died... drfrank really carried it.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:26 am
Midgets die fast... Blue's forever. Pierre's contract is a BARGAIN in comparison to others so far (Lilly/V.Wells/Meche/Mathews/etc ). He's definitely a top 10 leadoff hitter. Still waiting for a bigger bat though. I was really hoping for V. Wells but I'd settle for an A-Rod surprise later. We're supposedly using Penny as bait ( bad idea - use Lowe ) but we'll see. We arguably have the best pitching in the league, yet alone in the N.L. ---***030***---
Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:47 pm
Pierre a top-10 lead-off hitter?!?! Sir, you are really showing the true ignorance of Dodger fans. Pierre's OBP last season (far and away the most important stat for lead-off hitters) was .330. The Giants' new lead-off hitter, Dave Roberts, had a .360 OBP last season, and an almost identical batting average. Oh yeah, and he cost half as much, too. Top-10? Please.

You want to talk about absurd contracts, though, check out the 7 year, $126 million laugher the Giants just handed out to Zito. 7 years for a pitcher? That's pretty dispicable. I can't say I'm not excited to see him pitch for the Giants, though. Our rotation is looking pretty damn good right now.
Basketball hope in the City Of Dope?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:06 pm
baytobrooklyn wrote:You want to talk about absurd contracts, though, check out the 7 year, $126 million laugher the Giants just handed out to Zito. 7 years for a pitcher? That's pretty dispicable. I can't say I'm not excited to see him pitch for the Giants, though. Our rotation is looking pretty damn good right now.

7 years for a 28 year old isn't that bad. I hope I'm not jinxing it, but pitchers stay healthy more often than they get reoccuring injuries. There are more Greg Maddox's than Kerry Wood's.

Imagine the Giants rotation with Cain, Sanchez, and Zito. Its awesome.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:58 pm
He's not the BEST leadoff hitter but he's a PROVEN table setter, and a durable one as well. I ( still ) like Roberts too. ---030---

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:08 pm
YES !!!

01/01/2007 10:00 AM ET
Dodgers' arms stacked entering '07
Surplus of pitchers may allow Colletti to go after a power bat
By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com

LOS ANGELES -- By fan demand, player names return to the back of Dodgers uniforms in 2007 and that's a particularly good thing, because general manager Ned Colletti has continued his rebuilding of the roster.
Eric Gagne and J.D. Drew head the long list of familiar faces that have moved on, Jason Schmidt and Juan Pierre being the key names of the new arrivals. Schmidt fulfills Colletti's stated goal of bolstering the starting rotation, providing the Dodgers with their first true ace since Kevin Brown.

Pierre isn't exactly what fans had in mind when Colletti said he wanted to add a middle-of-the-order power bat, nor was the later acquisition of 39-year-old outfielder Luis Gonzalez.

But the hope is that with Pierre batting leadoff, Rafael Furcal can display his versatility in the third spot in the order, moving Nomar Garciaparra down to fifth as protection for cleanup hitter Jeff Kent, with Gonzalez playing left field and batting sixth.

And with the surplus of starting pitching that Colletti has created, if a power bat becomes available, the Dodgers believe they will be perfectly positioned to acquire him.

The offseason went at a more reasonable pace for Colletti, who was hired the previous November and had to conduct a manager search while other clubs were filling holes. The result of Colletti's efforts last winter was a 17-game improvement and a postseason berth. He believes the upgrades he's made since the 2006 season ended have put the Dodgers in a better position now than a year ago.

"I like where we're at right now," Colletti said. "We'd be competitive right now. How good, I can't tell you. We've upgraded our pitching and rebuilt our outfield on the fly. I'm never one to say we're done."

Season in Preview
A lot can change by Opening Day, but as 2006 becomes 2007, this is who is projected to take the field for the Dodgers:
CF Juan Pierre
C Russell Martin
SS Rafael Furcal
2B Jeff Kent
1B Nomar Garciaparra
LF Luis Gonzalez
3B Wilson Betemit
RF Andre Ethier
SP Jason Schmidt
SP Derek Lowe
SP Brad Penny
SP Randy Wolf
SP Chad Billingsley
CL Takashi Saito

Offseason report card: Colletti hit .500 on his winter goals, landing a legitimate ace in Schmidt to strengthen the starting rotation, but whiffing on the acquisition of a power hitter. The addition of Schmidt, and to a lesser extent Randy Wolf, creates a surplus of starting pitching that could be used to trade for a hitter, if the right one becomes available. Drew's departure blindsided the club and Colletti went for a quick fix (Gonzalez) and a long-term one (Pierre).

Arrivals: RHP Schmidt, OF Gonzalez, OF Pierre, C Mike Lieberthal, LHP Wolf

Departures: RHP Gagne, RHP Greg Maddux, OF Drew, OF Kenny Lofton, 3B Bill Mueller, RHP Aaron Sele, INF Julio Lugo, C Toby Hall, OF Jayson Werth, RHP Giovanni Carrara.

A road ahead: Barring a late acquisition, the lineup is pretty well set, so Spring Training will be spent determining a batting order. It figures to begin with Pierre leading off and Furcal dropped to the three-hole. The surplus of starting pitching should strengthen the bullpen, but it might take a while for roles to be determined beyond closer Takashi Saito and setup man Jonathan Broxton. It will take an injury or something unforeseen for top prospects James Loney or Matt Kemp to win a regular job.

Ken Gurnick is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:40 pm
edit delete
LOS ANGELES -- In Dodgers hot-stove debates, the corner infield positions have been the hot corners.

With Nomar Garciaparra back to play first base, what becomes of James Loney? And is management really satisfied with Wilson Betemit at third base? Or, will rookie Andy LaRoche get a chance in Spring Training to win the third-base job? Or will Garciaparra move across the diamond to take over third base and open up first for Loney? Or will Nomar swap positions with second baseman Jeff Kent?

All great questions ... but ones that will take a Spring Training -- at least -- to answer.

For now, the plan is to have Garciaparra return to first base and Betemit at third, even though there was no secret about general manager Ned Colletti's interest in Aramis Ramirez to become the third baseman if he hadn't returned to the Cubs.

The message boards illustrate fan impatience with the switch-hitting Betemit because of his inconsistency, particularly batting right-handed, although he'll only be 25 this year and did hit 18 homers last season. As a switch-hitter with power, he would seem to be an ideal project for Hall of Fame batting coach Eddie Murray, although Betemit seemed to be the same player last year whether he wore a Braves or Dodgers uniform.

So the clamor for the return of Adrian Beltre is understandable, although no trade appears to be in the works. The Mariners seem to be in no hurry to dump Beltre, and even if the clubs could agree on which Dodgers would be dealt to Seattle, there's still the issue of Beltre's contract. Although it has three years remaining at $35 million, he would be entitled to demand a trade after one season unless the Dodgers were willing to rework the deal.

And that would require negotiating with Beltre's agent, Scott Boras. Enough said.

Which is why the spring likely will begin with the third-base job being Betemit's to lose. He could be the 30-homer bat the Dodgers feel they lack. The potential is there.

That magic word applies to LaRoche and Loney, too.

LaRoche hit 30 home runs in 2005 when he split time between Class A and Double-A, but last year his power dropped to 19 home runs while splitting time between Double-A and Triple-A.

His play was impacted by an injured left shoulder, which underwent surgery in October, and he's expected to be ready for the start of Spring Training.
A lot of people believe Loney is even more ready to play every day, but Colletti wasn't willing to prove it by letting Garciaparra leave on the heels of the unexpected departure of J.D. Drew. So he re-signed Garciaparra to a two-year deal, leaving Loney's role uncertain, even though he had a .559 slugging percentage during three big-league trials last year and went 3-for-4 in the playoffs.

With Garciaparra last year suffering three injuries that kept him out of 40 games and handicapped him for about 40 more, the belief is that Loney will see plenty of playing time at first base.

Nonetheless, considering the management team in place with the Dodgers, the chances of either the 23-year-old LaRoche or the 22-year-old Loney starting the season as everyday corner infielders are remote.

Although Russell Martin, Andre Ethier, Chad Billingsley, Jonathan Broxton and even 36-year-old Takashi Saito played significant roles in the Dodgers' playoff run last year, none even made the Major League club out of Spring Training.

"I like to be as sure as I can be," Colletti said, explaining why he goes into the season counting almost exclusively on veterans. "If you find out in May that somebody's not ready and you haven't backed it up, it's a little late to change course. That's a miscalculation that's tough to correct.

"This is how we intend to do it. Little by little, you let the kids grow into it, rather than finding themselves in it too deep. You let them slowly take it over. I'd rather have young players compete for the opportunity than to send them out there and say, 'It's all yours.' "

Defensively, LaRoche appeared last spring to be a little rough around the edges at third base, while Loney has the fluid actions of a natural around first base.

The Dodgers also have guaranteed salary committed to Olmedo Saenz, who can play both corner positions, although his primary role is that of a right-handed bat off the bench. Utilityman Ramon Martinez also was re-signed, and he can play all four infield positions.

Ken Gurnick is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:46 pm
Wow, old Russ Ortiz is back apart of the orange and black. He was solid in the run to the world series that one year, but he's most likely going to be a reliever unless he replaces Lowry in the rotation which would be unlikely.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:50 pm
I'm betting he'll get Morris' spot before he gets Lowry's.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:33 am
Russ will be able to eat up some innings but dude gives up MAJOR a*s. Mid-relief and emergency starts only***030***
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:37 pm
I don't think the Giants will put him in the rotation unless he's throwing like his old self. The Russ Ortiz from the old Giants era (and from the Braves) is worthy of a start, but not some scrub who went 0-8 last year.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board