TRUE BLUES

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:30 pm
schmidt no longer is that dominant. i think for the type of money he'll get on the open market, he'll be extremely overpriced and the giants should steer clear of him.

matt morris should just be released. him and armando should just go party it up in florida...
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:53 pm
A's can clinch this weekend! Playoffs baby!
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:00 pm
drfrank wrote:schmidt no longer is that dominant. i think for the type of money he'll get on the open market, he'll be extremely overpriced and the giants should steer clear of him.

matt morris should just be released. him and armando should just go party it up in florida...

I think Morris had a bad year... but I'll need to see at least half another one with him in a Giant's uniform before I'm done with him. I think he'll bounce back.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:59 pm
Woohoo, Go A's! 2006 Division Champions.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:38 am
Im fiXin 2be faded this weekend...DO OR DIE! ---***030***---
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:38 pm
zero3zero wrote:Im fiXin 2be faded this weekend...DO OR DIE! ---***030***---

Dodgers won 19-11. What a hit fiesta.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:10 pm
the gyros are so....so...so....so....so....sorry. we can't even spoil the dodgers' season. leading 3-2 going into the 9th and you blow it? this team is truely pathetic. i tried to give them the benefit of the doubt but this organization is cursed. blow it up to hell.

runners on 3rd and 1st. 1 out. chance to tie the game. i call a double-play....

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:59 pm
Good call...

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:42 pm
Now !!! It's time to make some noise ---***030***---

Arizona almost came back...Damn!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:15 pm
no one cares.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:34 pm
zero, i'm sorry, i do care...

but these A's need to get their act together. no pitching, no defense... that's what got them to the alcs in the first place. zero, wherever you are, come back. hahaha

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:56 pm
I know its hella late but... EF DA METS. They got what they deserved in seven...@ home itches!!!

I doubt Det. will pitch 2 Albert anymore. I gave him in in-home standin' ovation after the smack. Scottie's back!!! ---***030***---

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:49 pm
gagne's career is DONE!

I have 2 agree. He's more risk than worth@this point... JB WILL do the job fine, with Saito as the set up. TB will be ressurected in about 3 months...

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:25 am
Why were the Dodgers so surprised when J.D. Drew opted out of his contract?
-- Vinny G., Philadelphia
I guess there were 33 million reasons why. It's a lot of money to walk away from, although Drew's agent, Scott Boras, knows there's a shortage of hitters in this year's free agent class. And Boras knows free agent salaries historically explode immediately following a new collective bargaining agreement. Which is why Boras had that escape clause available for this year, not after the 2005 season or next year.

Of course, general manager Ned Colletti knew all of this, too. Although Drew never gave any prior indication of executing the clause, history shows he and Boras have exploited any financial piece of leverage they can find. It dates back to Drew's amateur days. If the club was actually counting on him for 2007, a phone call to Boras at any time in the past month might have eliminated any element of surprise.

Colletti's annoyance probably has more to do with losing Drew as a bargaining chip to trade than losing the 100 RBIs per season. Now Colletti has neither. While 100 RBIs cannot be easily dismissed or replaced, especially when nobody in the Dodgers lineup besides Drew could produce that this past season, they should be able to get more bang for 33 million bucks. They have flexibility at a time when they are attempting to fill three significant holes. And not to bash Drew, who is a productive player, but he now has to play safety-first to protect his brittle body, and his power dropped to only 20 home runs -- even though he made it through the year relatively healthy.

Are the Dodgers really thinking of letting Eric Gagne and Nomar Garciaparra leave? I'll bet Gagne will be healthy and ready.
-- Arnie L., Valencia, Calif.

A few years ago, the Dodgers bet $55 million that Darren Dreifort would be healthy -- and he wasn't coming off three operations, as is Gagne. Now is not the time for the Dodgers to tie up money with Gagne, considering his uncertain health. They need to focus their attention on the top priorities of two hitters and a starting pitcher.

As for Garciaparra, he wants to stay local, but he also wants a multi-year contract. As well as he played in the first half of 2006, he fell back into his pattern of injuries in the second half. Again, the Dodgers have higher priorities, and signing Garciaparra now would limit their flexibility. They can't afford to be limited by money or position. When decisions involve millions of dollars, it's best to set emotions aside, especially when dealing with players who have sustained multiple injuries, no matter how popular they are.

Which free agents would the Dodgers receive compensation for if they leave?
-- Larry H., Welches, Ore.

The Dodgers' Type A free agents are Drew, Julio Lugo, Greg Maddux and Gagne. Their Type B free agents are Garciaparra and Kenny Lofton. The Dodgers would receive compensation for any of those players signed by another club if the Dodgers offered that player salary arbitration. It is impossible to predict what round the compensation pick comes from until all free-agent signings are completed. Type B free-agent compensation is now in the form of a sandwich pick as opposed to direct compensation from the signing club.

Have a question about the Dodgers?
E-mail your query to MLB.com Dodgers beat writer Ken Gurnick for possible inclusion in a future mailbag column. Letters may be edited for brevity, length and/or content.

First Name, Last Initial:
Hometown:

Email Address:

Question:

How do Ned Colletti's trades rank?
-- Art W., Westchester, Calif.

The best ones: Andre Ethier for Milton Bradley and Antonio Perez; Greg Maddux and cash for Cesar Izturis; Marlon Anderson and cash for Jhonny Nunez; Wilson Betemit for Danys Baez, Willy Aybar and cash. The worst ones: Toby Hall and Mark Hendrickson and cash for Dioner Navarro, Jae Seo and Justin Ruggiano; Ben Kozlowski for Cody Ross; Lugo for Joel Guzman and Sergio Pedroza; Seo and Tim Hamulack for Duaner Sanchez and Steve Schmoll.

Whatever happened to a Minor League catcher named Nixon?
-- Charles M., Oklahoma City

Mike Nixon was a third-round draft pick in 2002, drafted as a catcher although he had a scholarship to play quarterback for Arizona State. He spent four years in the Dodgers' farm system, then quit and enrolled at Arizona State, where at age 23 he is now a walk-on freshman linebacker and backup placekicker.

Are James Loney and Matt Kemp making progress toward securing full-time jobs while playing winter ball in the Dominican Republic?
-- Jose M., San Diego

Not judging from their stats. Both players got off to very slow starts. Through Thursday's games, Loney is hitting .237 and Kemp .194. At this point, Loney has a better chance of making the Major League club than Kemp, but it's way too early in the offseason to get a true read on either of them.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:25 am
Three rookies who contributed to the Los Angeles Dodgers' success during the regular season received some recognition on Monday when the Jackie Robinson Rookie of the Year results were announced by the Baseball Writers Association of America.
Dodgers outfielder Andre Ethier, who batted .308, hit 11 home runs and drove in 55 runs in 126 games following his promotion from Triple-A Las Vegas, finished sixth in the voting. He received one second-place and one third-place vote.

Right-handed reliever Takashi Saito, who replaced injured Eric Gagne as the closer and converted 24 of his 26 save opportunities, received two third-place votes, finishing eighth in the voting.

That was one spot higher than catcher Russell Martin, who received one third-place vote. Martin, another in-season injury replacement from the Las Vegas club, turned in a solid season. He batted .282, hit 10 home runs, drove in 65 runs and handled the pitching staff superbly.

Eight Dodgers have won the Rookie of the Year Award, including Robinson in 1947. Outfielder Raul Mondesi is the most recent recipient (1994), capping a run of three consecutive years that Los Angeles had the top rookie. Eric Karros won in 1992 and Mike Piazza in '93.

Florida Marlins shortstop Hanley Ramirez won the NL Rookie of the Year in the tightest race since 1980. Ramirez was named the winner over Washington third baseman Ryan Zimmerman. In all, three of the top four choices were Marlins. Florida All-Star second baseman Dan Uggla was third, and right-handed pitcher Josh Johnson was fourth.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board