Boxing Fans?

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:22 am
Apparently Hatton is trying to get Mayweather Sr. to take the bait and fight him.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:24 pm
I think the fight is being planned for later this year. This should be an interesting and classic matchup between a pure boxer and a puncher/brawler. Both undefeated, too.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:48 pm
Boxing triple-header right now on HBO (Welterweights): 6-9 p.m

Championship Fight:
Kermit Cintron (27-1, 25 KOs) vs. Walter Matthysse (26-1, 25 KOs)
This one just finished. Cintron KO’d Matthysse in the 2nd Rd.

Arturo Gatti (40-8, 31 KOs) vs. Alfonso Gomez(16-3-2, 7 KOs) Gomez is from the Contender Series. Gatti is a blood and guts fighter and always exciting to watch.

Championship Fight:
Antonio Margarito (34-4, 24 KOs)vs. Paul Williams (32-0, 24 KOs)
This should be a great one.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:18 am
Gatti retires after he gets his as$ floored and beat by Gomez. What a showing by the youngin'. I've got to say... that was prolly one of funnest matches I've watched in a while. Very convincing.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:40 pm
Gatti is 35 and has been through the most wars that I’ve seen of any fighter. He’s a throwback, and I’m gonna miss him. It was a good time for him to retire. Alfonso was just too big and strong for an old Gatti who, by the way, should have stayed in the Lightweight Division. Afonso is a very good and polished young fighter with excellent mechanics. It appears he’s beginning to overcome his stamina issues (similar to Vladimir Klitschko) and this should bode well for him in the division.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:00 am

HBO: "TAYLOR DEFENDS TITLE AGAINST PAVLIK ON WCB DOUBLE-HEADER
HBO Sports presents a power-packed doubleheader when World Championship Boxing: Jermain Taylor vs. Kelly Pavlik and Andre Berto vs. David Estrada is seen live Saturday, September 29 at 10:15 PM (ET)/7:15 PM (PT) from Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City.

In the main event, undefeated middleweight champion Jermain Taylor (27-0-1, 17 KOs) from Little Rock squares off with Kelly Pavlik (31-0, 28 KOs) of Youngstown, Ohio in a scheduled 12-round championship contest. Taylor has successfully defended his middleweight crown against the likes of Bernard Hopkins, Winky Wright and, most recently, Cory Spinks since taking the title from Hopkins in 2005. He faces a tough test in fellow undefeated fighter Kelly Pavlik, one of the sport's true knockout artists, who has registered 28 KOs in 31 triumphs as a pro. Following a spectacular knockout victory over Edison Miranda in his HBO debut last May, Pavlik will be getting his first chance at a title.

In the opening bout, rising phenom Andre Berto (19-0, 16 KOs) from Winter Haven, Fla. faces brawler David Estrada (21-3, 12 KOs) out of Miami, Fla. in a 12-round welterweight fight. Former Olympian Berto, who is only 23 years old, has become a fan favorite in the ring with his extraordinary power, crushing body attack and willingness to put himself in peril. The hard-nosed Estrada gained notoriety when he went the distance with pound-for-pound great Shane Mosley in 2005 and battled Kermit Cintron for ten rounds in a 2006 showdown; he's coming off three consecutive knockout victories."

I'm expecting a great fight between Taylor and Pavlic.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:37 pm
Absolutely electric fights last Saturday night--especially the Taylor vs. Pavlic fight. Pavlic was floored and nearly KO'd in the 2nd. But he comes back to KO Taylor later. Great fight. Anybody catch it?

Also, the long awaited big fight this Saturday, finally: Manny Pacquiao vs. Barerra II. Can't wait for it! You're catching this X-Bay, right?
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:09 am
CjR wrote:Absolutely electric fights last Saturday night--especially the Taylor vs. Pavlic fight. Pavlic was floored and nearly KO'd in the 2nd. But he comes back to KO Taylor later. Great fight. Anybody catch it?

Also, the long awaited big fight this Saturday, finally: Manny Pacquiao vs. Barerra II. Can't wait for it! You're catching this X-Bay, right?

Oh hell yeah. My last night in Maui will be left with a bang. No way I miss Pacquiao. That man's electrifying.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:53 am
CjR wrote:Absolutely electric fights last Saturday night--especially the Taylor vs. Pavlic fight. Pavlic was floored and nearly KO'd in the 2nd. But he comes back to KO Taylor later. Great fight. Anybody catch it?

Yeah, that Taylor-Pavlik fight was sick, can't wait for the rematch cause you know they're going to have one. Taylor really lost it when he couldn't put Pavlik away in the 2nd. He had him hurt and could've went for the kill but instead ran out of gas and started clinching. When Pavlik had Taylor hurt he went in for the kill and just put him to sleep.

And as for this Saturday....

Manny! Manny! Manny!
Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:06 pm
good thing i read this. i didnt know manny was fighting this weekend.

That's me :D
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:21 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:

Oh hell yeah. My last night in Maui will be left with a bang. No way I miss Pacquiao. That man's electrifying.

Cool! And yes, he's definitely the most electrifying boxer right now--and one of the biggest draws. Maui, huh? I hope you're enjoying yourself. But the Sports Bar should be packed Saturday, unless you’re having it elsewhere.

Four08Warrior wrote:Yeah, that Taylor-Pavlik fight was sick, can't wait for the rematch cause you know they're going to have one. Taylor really lost it when he couldn't put Pavlik away in the 2nd. He had him hurt and could've went for the kill but instead ran out of gas and started clinching. When Pavlik had Taylor hurt he went in for the kill and just put him to sleep.

And as for this Saturday....

Manny! Manny! Manny!

Man, I was all into it, starting with the first fight. But, yeah, wasn’t the Taylor-Pavlic fight sick? I normally root for Taylor, but with this one, I just wanted to see a great fight—and it delivered with both men hitting the canvas. I’ve followed Taylor and seen a few of Pavlic’s fights (including Live here at the Honda Center) in Anaheim—and let me tell you, this guy can punch. Yeah, Taylor let him off the hook in the 2nd. And Taylor just didn’t have an answer for Pavlik’s right—and he threw it with varying power to get Taylor to become complacent on defending it. The moment he got that range-finder jab going, it was lights out with the right, followed by a blistering combination.

And yes, Manny, Manny, Manny! Barerra is supposed to be more ready, though, where Manny had some distractions. But whatever. Manny will still knock Barrera out in the later rounds.

aaustria wrote:good thing i read this. i didnt know manny was fighting this weekend.

Yeah, I always check HBO Boxing (and Showtime Boxing) to see what’s coming up. I used to listen to Jim Rome, but he changed his time slot—and he’s the only guy who will talk boxing (pre and post fights) and even have fighter interviews. Lamps (Jim Lampley) definitely does, when he fills in for Rome.

But it’s gonna be a show. The Manny Pacquiao, show!
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:41 pm
CjR wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:

Cool! And yes, he's definitely the most electrifying boxer right now--and one of the biggest draws. Maui, huh? I hope you're enjoying yourself. But the Sports Bar should be packed Saturday, unless you’re having it elsewhere.

We're actually going to order at the resort room we're staying in. The sports bars are going to be packed since Hawaii is home to a lot of filipino's. I talked to the owners last night to see how packed it was going to be that's how I know.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:06 am
That’s probably a better way to go.

Also, on the undercards, not sure if you’ve heard of him, but check out Francisco “Panchito” Bojado. He’s still young, but he’s very polished and has a very exciting style. His handlers rushed him (after turning pro at just 17), but I hope he gets back on track.

Anyhow, it'll be exciting--and Manny by TKO late.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:36 am
Yeah, I have him by TKO 10.

I've heard about Bojado. Looks like I'll get to know him more by the end of tonight.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:28 pm
I’ve watched Barerra fight for over ten years, and it didn’t seem like he really wanted to tangle last Saturday with Manny. He was more tactical and was content in just boxing (moving backward and clinching, for the most part) and didn’t leave it in the ring. I have better respect for Morales who showed heart and fought Manny toe-to-toe, despite getting destroyed, eventually. Manny rocked Barerra in the 11th, and if wasn’t stopped for that cheap shot Barrera threw, I thought Manny had a chance to take Barerra out.

It was good victory for Manny, and the fight certainly had exciting moments and exchanges, but it lacked the true fireworks and the KO I wanted. Manny just drew a conservative Barerra, who was more concerned about not ending his boxing career in the hospital.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board