Boxing Fans?

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:51 pm
Pretty sure I've made it clear - A boxer can punch very well but he'll find it hard to get in a good hit against an MMA fighter, while a boxer has no defense against kicks to the legs and take downs, thus making it much easier to beat a boxer

migya make the ring fall on ya
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:31 pm
You haven’t made anything clear, Migya. You’re avoiding realism and blinded by your complete biasness, looking at things purely on the surface.

That so-called stunt of yours with your friend doesn’t mean jack! A playful sparring match will end in the ground, if that’s your ultimate intent, because he’s not trying to knock you out! So your story or example holds no value. And the fact that you got hit proves my point. With a real puncher, you would have gotten wacked and knocked out, or the guy finishing you off.

Kickboxers don’t do well against grapplers, because they employ kicks or rush in. And when they are kicking, they are off balanced on one foot (and can’t throw a punch or an effective one) and that’s when a grappler can easily go for the takedown. Boxers, depending on the opponent, have great footwork and balance and can maintain distance while looking to counter punch with the slightest opportunity.

migya wrote:...but he'll find it hard to get in a good hit against an MMA fighter

Butterbean in MMA: Record 10-3

Scoreboard, baby! Case closed.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:28 pm
CjR wrote:
migya wrote:...but he'll find it hard to get in a good hit against an MMA fighter

LMAO! EXACTLY! :D
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:57 pm
CjR, if anyone is biased here it is you 100%. Boxers have too many weaknesses to have a serious chance in a real fight against an allround fighter. You keep saying a boxer would wack a guy and knock him out like it is the simplest thing to do but in reality, if a boxer ,be he good or great, takes a risk every time he goes for a punch, leaving himself open for a counterattack at his weaknesses. You keep saying a boxer has great footwork and spped, being able to move in and out to strike his opponent but he can't avoid the attack of the other fighter and certainly can't do anything once his arm is grabbed for example. All the so called knockout power of a boxer doesn't mean anything if he can't hit you the way he wants and when you know the obvious weaknesses of a boxer, you attack them, eliminating any sort of knockout power he had. To knock a guy out with a punch you need a clean hit and for the opponent to be relatively still for the moment you punch him and an allround fighter knows that. You can't honestly believe that the best technique is to use just 1 of the 5 or 6 weapons you possibly have (ie. Only hands), it just doesn't make sense and has ben proven to be wrong many times in the last 10 years at least

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:40 am
32 wrote:
CjR wrote:

LMAO! EXACTLY! :D

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Too bad Miggy can't face facts. :shock:
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:20 am
Alright, Mig, first of all, this is a boxing thread. You came in here talking smack out of nowhere, not relevant to the point, so if I’m sounding a little biased, it’s only because you can’t handle the fact that a boxer has a chance in any fight. And as I’ve said all along, and I’ll say it again: it depends on the boxer! I realize that having more all around skills is better (especially learning ground), but I also know that boxers are not cakewalks, like you think. I know it’s difficult for you to fathom how they can win or succeed (and I can’t really blame you), but it’s a fact!

As for your points, it doesn’t have to be a single or double shot knockout blow. It can be set up by a stiff jab, or a feint, then a flurry of combination while practicing defensive maneuvers at the same time. It’s ingrained in their muscle memory, their instincts, and reflexes.

Anyway, you just have too many “what ifs” and “they have this,” Mig. Go tell Butterbean your “what ifs” and “they have this,” instead. Again, plain and simple: scoreboard!

Image :mrgreen:
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:27 pm
Anybody catch the fight last night? X-Bay? Castillo tried to mix it up, but Hatton was just too dominating. He KO’d Castillo with a single precision body shot to the liver in the 4th. Couldn’t get up after that. Beautiful shot. The “Hitman” is now 43-0, 31 KOs, and Castillo is 55-7-1, 47 KOs.

Gotta go. I’m outa town for a few days.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:43 pm
This argument is over. Unless miggy can counter with actual statistics from MMA vs. Boxers (like CjR has), then the counter to CjR's points become futile "what-if's". As it stands, CjR has proven (through logic, reason, and - when that wasn't enough - actual statistics from fights featuring a MMA fighter against a boxer that a boxer's footwork, balance, and hard-throwing punches easily subdue most MMA fighters, who aren't skilled enough punchers. Migya, to his credit, has cited one playful incident between himself and a friend that, for all we know, could have been made up.

Game, set, and match go to CjR.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:15 pm
CjR wrote:Anybody catch the fight last night? X-Bay? Castillo tried to mix it up, but Hatton was just too dominating. He KO’d Castillo with a single precision body shot to the liver in the 4th. Couldn’t get up after that. Beautiful shot. The “Hitman” is now 43-0, 31 KOs, and Castillo is 55-7-1, 47 KOs.

Gotta go. I’m outa town for a few days.

They're showing replay right now. Was out partying so couldn't watch it. But from what I've read, it was ultimately pure dominance over Castillo. Sounds convincing to me.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:44 pm
CjR, I started the conversation in this thread about allround fighting in a converse way, neither of us got into an argument. We dis agree, that's fine and since this is a boxing thread you made up, I won't continue with this conversation because this is not the reason why you created the thread.

I never said boxers were useless by the way, just that their weaknesses are huge

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:46 pm
32 wrote:This argument is over. Unless miggy can counter with actual statistics from MMA vs. Boxers (like CjR has), then the counter to CjR's points become futile "what-if's". As it stands, CjR has proven (through logic, reason, and - when that wasn't enough - actual statistics from fights featuring a MMA fighter against a boxer that a boxer's footwork, balance, and hard-throwing punches easily subdue most MMA fighters, who aren't skilled enough punchers. Migya, to his credit, has cited one playful incident between himself and a friend that, for all we know, could have been made up.

Game, set, and match go to CjR.

Thanks, 32. Well said, and timely interjection. :D
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:48 pm
migya wrote:CjR, I started the conversation in this thread about allround fighting in a converse way, neither of us got into an argument. We dis agree, that's fine and since this is a boxing thread you made up, I won't continue with this conversation because this is not the reason why you created the thread.

I never said boxers were useless by the way, just that their weaknesses are huge

Mig, no problem. This is not my thread, BTW; this was started by BT for those who wanted to talk some boxing.

It was actually pretty fun and interesting, and like you said, no one got into an argument. And about boxers having a huge weakness, yeah like 10-3 Butterbean huge. :wink:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:35 am
You keep referring to one guy. You really seem quite blind to the fact that a boxer is a one dimensional individual that has to get lucky with a big hit. Their footwork is quick but not ultra fast and they can't move faster than someone shooting in on them at full speed. You talk about the big weapon that a boxer has being his punch but fact is that a punch is not even as powerful as a kick so that weapon isn't even the best there is.

As I've said, Boxers are great at what they do but don't stand much of a chance in a real fight against an allround fighter

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:38 pm
Yeah, I thought so. ::lol: BTW: My one guy is enough. It’s one more than you—and also ten matches more than you.

Peace, out.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:41 pm
:mrgreen:

Take it is easy CjR. Enjoy the next boxing match

PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board