49ers Running Backs

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:37 pm
Who else besides me is very dissapointed in Kevan Barlow? I think it's time to make Frank Gore the starting back with Maurice Hicks a capable backup. Who's with me on this?
I remember the good old days of Teagle, Garland, Askew, Mokeski, and even Mr. Jennings.
Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:52 pm
not completely his fault, their OL's too crappy,
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:43 pm
Yeah, I agree. The offensive line is the main reason a guy like Alex Smith isn't taking off more this season (not that I think he's that great to begin with... don't comment against me). ASmith, the running game, and every other QB we've put out there this season have all fallen victim to the horrid offensive line in San Fransisco. The line makes it nearly impossible for the QB to have enough time to get the ball in the air... preferably, in the general direction of Brandon Lloyd (who will seemingly catch anything 10 feet in his general radius). The 49ers need to rely on Lloyd to make some bright spots in the closing games of the season, because our O-Line is garbage, which tears apart our running game and our pocket protection (hindering our passing), and half of our starting defense (including most of the stars) are injured. This, of course, all happens the same season that we have our hardest schedule in years.

The 49ers might as well be playing with only 5 men on the field, because they seem handicapped to that point this season. If they weren't terrible to begin with (I thought they had a promising lineup this year), injuries shredded whatever hopes we had after the fact. This was a horrible year to be a Niners fan.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:29 am
I haven't seen many niners games, but everytime I've seen him, Barlow looked more like a dancer than a real rb. Like he was afraid of going to the hole... At least, Gore has potential, and the niners ain't going anywhere, they'd be better playing him...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:24 pm
If Barlow was afraid to use the blocking, it was because he knew it wouldn't last and he'd get stopped immediately. He's a much better RB than any other player on the team. It's unfair, but a RB's rating is often tied to how good his blocking lets him be. If Barlow had anything near a decent line, he'd be a great player to have.

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:16 pm
I don't know, I just see when Gore and Hicks get their opportunity they seem to make the most of it. They explode through the line, where Barlow wants to dance.

When the Niners have a Third down and 1 and need that yard, Barlow can't make it worth his life. Hicks can because he seems to want it more. I don't know I just think it's time for a change.
I remember the good old days of Teagle, Garland, Askew, Mokeski, and even Mr. Jennings.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:14 am
#32 wrote:If Barlow was afraid to use the blocking, it was because he knew it wouldn't last and he'd get stopped immediately. He's a much better RB than any other player on the team. It's unfair, but a RB's rating is often tied to how good his blocking lets him be. If Barlow had anything near a decent line, he'd be a great player to have.

I'm not sure about it. In fact, I think that playing behind a good o-line, with a good blocking scheme, will do wonders for any player (see any Denver rb).

The good RBs are the ones that can shine even trough a bad o-line. If Barlow ain't looking good, it's because he's not good enough.

And, believe me, I know about bad RBs. I've had to (painfully) watch Michael Pittman (and his teasing 1 great game, 8 awful) for years. Thank god we have the Caddy now (and our o-line is one of the worst 5 in the league)...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:05 am
I dunno if anything but superstar running backs can shine through a bad o-line, and that's the truth! Running backs and their blocking make each other look better. If one's lackluster, it makes the other seem incapable as well. I, for one, see the line as the problem, because the QB's are being effected, too... not simply Barlow or both the line & KB. If our offensive linemen would get their heads outta their asses, we'd be in buisiness in San Fransisco. Unfortunately, we're left with these guys standing around like morons while we remember the good old days with big Kevin Gogan... God, do I miss Kevy Gogan! I remember seeing the lines from both teams getting into a shoving fight, but it always seemed to scatter when Gogan began to rumble towards the brawl. Man, he was huge... and a GREAT lineman, too!

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:14 am
two words:
REGGIE BUSH

Return to Sports Board