32's Two Minute Ramble: DENVER NUGGETS

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:11 am
Yeah, Denver defends much better than those Bucks, but it also can be argued that the Bucks had better offensive players. Big Dog, Jesus Shuttleworth and Sam-I-Am were way better than there Nuggets counterparts.

That's a good thing about George Karl, he gets the best of the players he has in every team.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:54 am
The lesser known players like Najera, Demarr Johnson and Boykins play very good defense. Boykins does get some steals he is not just a scorer

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:52 am
Najera is a foul machine, he's used as a kamakazi player who doesn't even average a full block or a full steal a game... not really anybody who I'd refer to as "a stopper"...

Boykins is a speedy playmaker... a Mugsy Bogues for the new century, but I'd hardly call his 0.7 steals a game average for Denver these past 2 seasons anything to brag about. Labling him a defensive player isn't true.

And Demarr Johnson also only averages 0.4 blocks and 0.6 steals in 20 minutes of playing time. Very, very average numbers... also another person mislabled with the title "defender".

Every player listed averaged less than a steal and less than a block. I stand by my statement; Denver has no defenders that aren't already starting at the 4 and 5 (and those two are one-dimensional on D, too!)
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:32 am
It is not just about averages! These players provide alot of energy and cause havoc for the opposing team trying to score.

Bruce Bowen has very low steals and blocks averages but is considered one of the best players in the nba!!!!!!!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:46 am
migya wrote:It is not just about averages! These players provide alot of energy and cause havoc for the opposing team trying to score.

Bruce Bowen has very low steals and blocks averages but is considered one of the best players in the nba!!!!!!!

Bruce Bowen is given too much leeway by the referees. He is a foul machine, but most aren't called.

But you're right on your first statement. Defense is not only about stats.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:01 am
You are right, it's not fair what Bowen gets away with. The Nuggets are a very good team and though some people don't like them, they have to be given credit for what they did last season and they should not be counted out until this season is over

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:14 am
Earl Boykins is NOT Bruce Bowen. Watching them play shows it all, migya. Bowen applies pressure and plays a team defensive game making the opposing team's chemistry hard to flow, while Najera, Boykins, and Johnson simply guard their men like Jason Richardson would... they're not special, despite your point about numbers not showing the whole game being right. Statistics alone can't tell the game, but I've seen the Nuggets play... and I dunno if you have (no offense, I'm not trying to throw it in your face like other people on the board, I'm just saying it as an example)... and the Nuggets don't have ANYONE who can play a well-rounded, defensive game. Like I said, Camby and Martin block shots. No pressure, no steals, no disruption to the flow. It's not a good defensive team... and there's no way to argue that.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:21 am
Well, Denver played really good defense with most of those players (no K-Mart or Dermarr, but the others were there) in Bzdelik (sp?) last season. Not everyone, as Carmelo's D (it was his rookie season) was painful to see (still is), but it was a good defensive team. Not great, just good.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:37 am
I'd say they're below-average to average at defense, but calling it a strength is wrong...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:37 pm
If I remember well (which is a huge if), they were one of the better defenses (statistically at least) that year. They certainly were impressive in the few games I saw, I may've been lucky to pick their best defensive outings, tho.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:39 pm
I think you may have been; I recall Denver around the middle as far as defensive teams. Not as bad as the Warriors, but not far away, either. Definately improved after the arrival of Karl, but not a big enough amount.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:01 pm
Oh, that's the problem. I'm talking about the last full season of Bzdelik, the one before the arrival of Karl, not last season. You're right about the last one.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:14 pm
The Denver Nuggets played really well last season and I think they will continue that. Let's just wait and see

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:18 am
Yes, they played offensively well. I agree. But a team can't win on one aspect alone.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:30 am
Player32 wrote:Yes, they played offensively well. I agree. But a team can't win on one aspect alone.

See last season Suns...
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board