NBA Playoffs

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:24 pm
Thought I'd make a thread on the playoffs which will be here in a few days.

I'll edit this post and place the matchups in each conference. I thought it would be good to make our predictions of who we all think will win what matchups. Maybe I'll even make another thread where we make our predictions for the whole playoffs there and then at the end we see how we all went

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:08 pm
migya wrote:Thought I'd make a thread on the playoffs which will be here in a few days.

I'll edit this post and place the matchups in each conference. I thought it would be good to make our predictions of who we all think will win what matchups. Maybe I'll even make another thread where we make our predictions for the whole playoffs there and then at the end we see how we all went

Well I don't know who will win, but I will be rooting for Chicago! I like that team, because they play well, and they play as a team.
Out of the west I will be rooting for OKC, good young team, hope they bet the Lakers.

I like Coach Pop, Manu, and Tim Duncan, but I don't like the rest of SA, so I won't be rooting for them.
Denver is another team I want to see do well, because they are the underdogs with no Super Star on the team.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:55 pm
yup, chicago has won me over ever since the person known as derrick rose arrived
~LilBallerx~

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:54 am
The playoff matchups are set:

Western Conference

#1 Spurs v #8 Memphis -
Season series was tied at 2 all, but think Spurs will win 4-0 or 4-1. Health of Ginobili, who fell awkwardly in last game of season is big.

#2 Lakers v #7 Hornets -
Without David West, Hornets will likely get swept. Paul will be playing his last games there.

#3 Mavericks v #6 Blazers -
Looks like a good matchup. Mavericks look a bit better and reckon they'll win 4-2.

#4 Thunder v #5 Nuggets -
Should be a good matchup. Nuggets played great after trade, but reckon Thunder have too much in the guards and will win 4-1 or 4-2.

Eastern Conference

#1 Bulls v #8 Pacers -
Should be a sweep as Pacers are pathetic.

#2 Heat v #7 76ers -
Heat should win easily, but sixers can step up and win one. 4-0 or 4-1.

#3 Celts v #6 Knicks -
Celts banged up, but Knicks weak in bigs, with Amare not rebounding or defending enough. Should he, Carmelo and Bullups step up and play well, they could actually win this series, but Celts have alot of experience. Celts 4-1 or 4-2.

#4 Magic v #5 Hawks -
Magic looking good and Hawks faltering severely.Magic should sweep or win 4-1 and Hawks will make alot of changes after this season

Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:57 am
My first round predictions

Western Conference
#1 Spurs v #8 Memphis - Spurs 4-2
#2 Lakers v #7 Hornets - Lakers 4-0
#3 Mavericks v #6 Blazers - Blazers 4-2
#4 Thunder v #5 Nuggets - Thunder 4-1

Eastern Conference
#1 Bulls v #8 Pacers - Bulls 4-0
#2 Heat v #7 76ers - Heat 4-1
#3 Celts v #6 Knicks - Celtics 4-1
#4 Magic v #5 Hawks - Magic 4-1
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:12 pm
Western Conference
#1 Spurs v #8 Memphis - Spurs 4-1
#2 Lakers v #7 Hornets - Lakers 4-0
#3 Mavericks v #6 Blazers - Blazers 4-3
#4 Thunder v #5 Nuggets - Thunder 4-2

Eastern Conference
#1 Bulls v #8 Pacers - Bulls 4-0
#2 Heat v #7 76ers - Heat 4-2
#3 Celts v #6 Knicks - Celtics 4-1
#4 Magic v #5 Hawks - Magic 4-1
~LilBallerx~

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:13 pm
speaking of which last 5m of bulls game were beautiful
~LilBallerx~

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:48 am
Breakdown of 1st round series:

Western Conference

#1 Spurs v #8 Memphis -
PG - Parker v Conley - Parker is better, more experienced and talented. He should give the Grizz and Conley nightmares trying to stop him. Reckon Parker will be the MVP of this series.

SG - Ginobili v Mayo - Maybe TAllen will start, but Mayo produces when he plays. If Ginobili is hampered by his injury, he won't be the great player he is and the Grizz SGs should have an easier time scoring on him. If he is healthy and on as he can be, he can score over 20pts a game.

SF - RJefferson v SYoung - Battier plays as much as Young, but anyway. RJefferson doesn't do so much nowadays, but I give him a slight advantage. Not much coming from anyone here.

PF - Duncan v ZRand - Duncan is scoring less via taking less shots and now having a far less offensive role for Spurs. ZRand is now the best player for the Grizz, but Duncan can stop him and likely will do more this series and ZRand's lack of defense will do little to stop Duncan. MGasol will likely defend Duncan.

C - McDyess v MGasol - McDyess is past it, but effective in his minutes. He is athletic and fast for the Center position, so he will not be easy for MGasol. MGasol has had an average season at best for what he's done in his young career. MGasol may be better, but how much he'll do in this series is unsure.

Bench - Grizz have good backups, except at Center, but Spurs play real well all over and it's that team work that makes them arguably the best team this season.

#2 Lakers v #7 Hornets -
PG - Fisher v Paul - Obviously Paul is much better, but he'll have to be huge, like he was a couple of seasons ago in the playoffs, or the Hornets will have no chance.

SG - Kobe v Belinelli - Kobe can do it all and will likely step up. Belinelli has to hit every shot he gets to be a factor and he does have great shooting ability, but nothing else really.

SF - Artest v Ariza - Artest doesn't do much else than play very good defense, but that should be enough to keep Ariza from being a factor. If Ariza does get hot, Hornets could win games in this series.

PF - PGasol v Landry - PGasol is obviously better, but Landry could be the darkhorse here, as he can score in bunches and be a very good energizer. He can't guard PGasol though.

C - Bynum v Okafor - If Bynum is healthy he'll have the chance to show what he can give in the playoffs for the Lakers. This is the chance for Okafor to show he can be a real changer for the Hornets and he'll have to be huge in this series.

Bench - Lakers have some depth, especially with Odom. Hornets are quite thin off the bench and that could be a factor.

#3 Mavericks v #6 Blazers -

PG - Kidd v AMiller - I give the advantage to Kidd because he is so great in what he does, but this matchup is quite even.

SG - Terry v Matthews - Terry plays most time next to Kidd and with Roy now injured and able to do far less than before, Matthews starts for them. Looks even and really could be the xfactor position.

SF - Marion v GWallace - Good matchup of great atheltes, but GWallace does more now, so give it to him.

PF - Dirk v Aldridge - I want to say Dirk is better, but it is close to even. The guy that plays better might really decide the series.

C - TChandler v Camby - Reckon the Mavs will face Dallas by going big to counter Dirk and Chandler's size so Camby will likely start. Both these guys do similar things and it is pretty even. Also an xfactor position.

Bench - Both teams have strong benches, but I reckon Dallas is a little stronger and experienced. Guys like Peja and Barea could be huge, but Roy himself could come up big for Portland.

#4 Thunder v #5 Nuggets -
PG - Westbrook v Lawson - I give it to Westbrook, but Lawson has been awesome the last month or so. Wonder what the recent injury to Lawson is like and how healthy he really is.

SG - Sefolosha v Afflalo - Harden does play a fair bit as well here for the Thunder, but I give it to Denver who have Afflalo and JR Smith, both who shoot real well. Denver's SGs will have to score well to give Denver a chance of winning the series.

SF - Durant v WChandler - Obviously to Durant, but WChandler is very solid and he can hold his own. If Durant does what he wants, it could be a quick series actually.

PF - Ibaka v KMart - Ibaka has emerged as an energizer that can really be a difference maker. He rebounds well and blocks shots like a madman. KMart is still very effective, especially rebounding and defending himself, but I think he is out done by Ibaka, who is much younger and hungrier. Harrington could score a heap and really make the difference for Denver.

C - Perkins v Nene - Perkins was a great addition to the Thunder, but he is not a star, just a solid Center who rebounds and blocks shots well. Nene can be real good and he is the xfactor to me in this series. If Nene can score well and do what he can do, Denver could win the series.

Bench - I want to say that Denver has a much better bench and they really do, but they are prety banged up and have injury issues that they might noit do too much compared to what they could. They have very effective players everywhere, where it looks like the Thunder, besides Harden, have close to nothing. Players like Felton, JR Smith and Birdman really could help Denver win this series, but it looks unlikely.

Eastern Conference

#1 Bulls v #8 Pacers -
PG - Rose v DCollison - Rose, the MVP, will likely demolish the Pacers. Collison can be good, but he'll be a nonfactor compared to Rose.

SG - Bogans/Brewer/Korver v BRush/PGeorge - No stars here, but this position can have difference makers. No clear winner, but interesting to see what happens here.

SF - Deng v Granger - Granger has the slight edge, but he is the go to guy for the Pacers, Deng is really the third option and he does well with his touches. Granger has to be huge this series.

PF - Boozer v McRoberts/Hansbrough - Boozer could be a monster this series and it is at this position where the Bulls could really make it a butt kicking.

C - Noah v Hibbert - Good matchup. Hibbert has to be a monster this series for Indiana to have any chance of winning and it is unlikely.

Bench - Bulls have had good play from their bench and Indiana will need as much as they can.

#2 Heat v #7 76ers -
PG - Bibby v Holiday - The only position where the sixers have the advantage, but that's only when it's Bibby out there, because it is Wade half the time. Holiday has been good this season and will have to do more than usual.

SG - Wade v Meeks - Wade will likely be a monster this series and Meeks is more of an outside shooter.

SF - Lebron v Iguodala - What a test for Iggy and he'll have to be huge this series for the sixers to have any chance.

PF - Bosh v Brand - Bosh is a star, even though doing much less in the Heat and Brand, who has been good this season, will have to outplay Bosh at least for the sixers to have a chance.

C - Dampier/Big Z v Hawes - This position plays little part for both teams so no significance really, though Hawes, much younger than the Heat Centers, could be significant.

Bench - Both teams really don't get much from their bench so not much to say really.

#3 Celts v #6 Knicks -
PG - Rondo v Billups - Very good matchup. The old general versus the new young one. Rondo is so key for the Celts and he seems to always step up in the playoffs. Billups is a legendary player in the playoffs and he could really step up this series.

SG - RAllen v Fields - Allen is regressing, but still a very good guard and he'll have it easy I think, maybe being the key player for the Celts with his matchup.

SF - Pierce v Carmelo - Pierce gets another chance to show he is still a superstar and can outdo another one. Carmelo really has pressure on him to do it all and maybe he'll come up huge in this series.

PF - KG v Amare - Another great key matchup. KG still has it and his defensive abilities could well slow down Amare. Very interesting what Amare will be able to do here.

C - Jermaine/Krstic/Shaq v Jefferies - Interesting what the Celts will get out of their Centers. If Jermaine and/or Shaq can get healthy in the playoffs and do something like what they can do, the Celts really could be the best team there is anywhere, but that is very unlikely and Krstic himself is not fully healthy. Jefferies doesn't play much so Center isn't really significant for the Knicks anyway.

Bench - Jeff Green is the only real significant player of both benches and he doesn't do enough to make a huge difference it looks.

#4 Magic v #5 Hawks -
PG - Jameer v Hinrich - Jameer has the advantage and he'll have to do quite well also in this series.

SG - JRich v JJohnson - JRich actually has to play well, because the Magic will need production from him going against JJ. JJ is overpaid, yes, but he is still allstar type and could be huge this series.

SF - Turkoglu v Marvin - Turk is very key to the Magic. He plays like a PG, distributing the ball well and scoring quite well. Marvin could really be key himself, because he can score well and if he does, Hawks will be a real chance in this series.

PF - Bass v JSmith - JSmith needs to be huge for the hawks to have a chance I think. He is the player who could be a real star, but yet is just allstar type if that most of the time.

C - Dwight v Horford - Dwight is so dominant, though not as much as I think he should be, but Horford is a very good player also and could make Dwight focus on him more, allowing the other Hawks players to score easier. Really interesting how much both these players do in this series.

Bench - Both teams look like having good benches and that could be a real difference maker as well. Crawford is the best of the bench players, but Arenas could be easily and is the one that really could make the Magic the best team there is this playoffs. If Arenas can get going, doing what he can do, he could play far more and make the difference.

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:57 am
Wow, very well done migya. detail position matchup analysis

The Magic/Hawk Series is going to be the most interesting for me to watch. Howards 46 didn't even result in a win. The hawks were brilliant defensively on everyone else, which resulted in that dominant win.

The officials were questionable on the Philly/Miami and Portland/Dallas games, especially the Portland game. Dallas only had 18 points in the paint, yet they had 29 free throw attempts. Portland had 46 points in the paint, yet only had 13 free throw attempts all game. Just too inconsistent by the league... trying to protect the home team.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:47 pm
CP3 showed how big of a player he is. He did it all in the win against the second seeded Lakers. Hopefully they will make an early upset and eliminate the Lakers.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:59 pm
I want Lakers to win, just so that the Bulls can completely destroy them in the finals.
~LilBallerx~

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:01 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Wow, very well done migya. detail position matchup analysis

The Magic/Hawk Series is going to be the most interesting for me to watch. Howards 46 didn't even result in a win. The hawks were brilliant defensively on everyone else, which resulted in that dominant win.

The officials were questionable on the Philly/Miami and Portland/Dallas games, especially the Portland game. Dallas only had 18 points in the paint, yet they had 29 free throw attempts. Portland had 46 points in the paint, yet only had 13 free throw attempts all game. Just too inconsistent by the league... trying to protect the home team.

The Hawks surprised me and more than anything else, the Magic look like they are pretenders and really no more than Dwight. Granted, it was just one game, but they have to be far more allround that that. Hawks, if they play to their potential and talent, could really be a great team, but this season they have been anything but that

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:02 pm
Guybrush wrote:CP3 showed how big of a player he is. He did it all in the win against the second seeded Lakers. Hopefully they will make an early upset and eliminate the Lakers.

Hornets did great, as did the Grizz beating the Spurs. Hope Hornets do beat Lakers, but I doubt it

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:15 am
One thing I noticed was how well Jermaine O'neal played in the first game for the Celts. He played about 22mins and scored 12pts with no misses (6-6) and 4blks, that's very effective from him. The Celts will likely be without Shaq the whole time, which may be a good thing, and so Jermaine will likely play alot and he can really make a difference for them.

Also, the Heat were so dominant and loking at their season, they may not have been as great many thought, but outside of some losing streaks, they had winning streaks galore. They could still be a real contender. The east looks real competitive right now

Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:30 am
CP3 had a good game again, too bad Lakers won this one. But, man, those Lakers are so dirty, throughout the game they flailed their arms and "accidentally" hit Paul, Landry...disgusting team.

If we're going to trade Monta or/and Curry, I wanna see Paul in Warriors'jersey then...otherwise, I can't see big improvement with other possible trades.
Next

Return to NBA Forum