TORONTO RAPTORS = FOREIGNERS

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:16 pm
I'm quite surprised how much of a melting pot the Toronto Raptors are transferring into.

Lina Kleiza - Lithuania
Leandro Barbosa - Brazil
Jose Calderon - Spain
Andrea Bargnani - Italy

& they just traded for Peja Stockavojic (they sent Australian Dave Anderson to New Orleans in the process)

The Toronto Raptors are the only NBA team where School Children read to the players.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:59 pm
Pretty sure you're not racist or nationalist as such. I have no problem with any team having non U.S. players on their team, it's just if those players are any good and if that team can win that matters

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:13 am
migya wrote:Pretty sure you're not racist or nationalist as such. I have no problem with any team having non U.S. players on their team, it's just if those players are any good and if that team can win that matters

Apologies if anyone took harm to the school children reading to the players comment. Just my observation is that Lithuania, Brazil, Spain, Italy & Croatia (Peja?) are all countries that English is the 2nd language.

I have no problem with international players being on a roster, merely a observation... I see a lot of great shooters on this team... Kleiza, Barbosa, Calderon and Stockavojic all shoot awesome from the charity stripe (above 80%)
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:21 am
PAWNO wrote:
migya wrote:Pretty sure you're not racist or nationalist as such. I have no problem with any team having non U.S. players on their team, it's just if those players are any good and if that team can win that matters

Apologies if anyone took harm to the school children reading to the players comment. Just my observation is that Lithuania, Brazil, Spain, Italy & Croatia (Peja?) are all countries that English is the 2nd language.

I have no problem with international players being on a roster, merely a observation... I see a lot of great shooters on this team... Kleiza, Barbosa, Calderon and Stockavojic all shoot awesome from the charity stripe (above 80%)

That team lacks athleticism, strength and inside talent, otherwise they are pretty good. One very good big that plays on the inside and that team could be pretty good in the east

migya make the ring fall on ya
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:13 am
PAWNO wrote:

Peja's from Serbia, same place as I am. I don't think my English is that bad, actually, even though it's my second language. :)

I know a bit of Japanese and French as well. ::razz:

I'm just joking, mate, I just don't get it why does it have to mean that if it's a second language to them, that they must suck at it. English is really a world wide language now, whoever wants to use the internet must learn it, and it's easy to learn it since they start at elementary schools, and watch movies, play video games, surf the net...it's not like it was before.

And I'm not offended, just curious about your views.

Anyway, I'm glad that Peja got traded, he wasn't gonna get much of a time at New Orleans, don't know why though, I'm not convinced that he regressed that much, after all he's a 3 time all-star player, and is well known for his excellent shooting, it's not like he was a physical player, and the age caught on to him. So, looking forward to see how he will fit in Toronto.
And yes, I know that they're probably just looking forward to the next season to get rid of his big contract and open some room in salary cap. Pretty much sure he won't get extension, but who knows.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:17 pm
Yes, English is the 2nd language of most... It's easier for a foreigner to learn it because English is the main language on the planet... & now i'm not saying Kleiza, Barbosa, Peja etc are bad at it... I've heard them do interviews and there quite fluent. But still learning a 2nd language takes time and dedication so making a joke about school children reading to them... Well it's just suppose to be ironic/Sarcastic (i don't know what theme the punchline is :mrgreen:)

Anyways if i was a GM i'd probably be inclined to draft players of a foreign background.. unlike American style basketball all the internationals see the floor better (IMO) they always look for the open guy & they usually are schooled to knock down open buckets. Plus with foreign players they don't have the baggage which comes with a lot of the American players... There is a good portion of kids these days in the NBA whom are just flat out prima donnas. (DeMarcus Cousins, SJAX etc) there happy to play basketball when it suits them, but can bitch and moan when it can't.

I've just scanned my memory over current nba ballers and can only think of Rudy Fernandez who's causing headaches for his team by airring his dirty laundry (trade requests)
Can anyone think of any other players from abroad who are prima donnas? Nope not me...

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:43 am
as for kleiza, i believe his second language is russian, for we had to learn russian as a second language up to what 1998 or smth. as for his english, he studied in college in usa, i would think his english is quite bad. there's also no such thing as being necessary worse in the language you learned later than your mother tongue. it is different, sure, but by no technical means inferior to the one spoken by native speakers. see samuel beckett, my favourite prosaic of XX century wrote most of his great works in french (his home country for most of his adult life) then translated them to his native irish-english.
i actually didn't get your joke at first, because of all the reasons i mentioned above.
of course, it's nothing wrong, but a bad joke asks for a :sleeping:
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo

Return to NBA Forum