Team USA Cowards?

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:05 pm
so ALL the players from the USA "Redeem Team" are backing out of playing in the 2010 World Championships for "reasons" like the "strenous" FA process or what have you.

I personally think the public and media should hold them more accountable and put them more in a negative light since they have chosen to bail on their country....unless of course it's the "in thing" to do (like in 2008, follow whatever Kobe and Lebron does). 2010's roster will likely be at the level of the 2004 Athens roster (ya the embarassment team w/the likes of A.I. and Marbury being the "leaders.") world competition has proven that if the USA doesn't send it's best team (best talent and best mix of players), that they can be beat. so this comes across as a negligent, prideless decision by these "superstars."

these guys get millions of dollars from the Americans who support their lifestyle. yet they bail on those same people when it matters most? weak.
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:44 pm
rockyBeli wrote:so ALL the players from the USA "Redeem Team" are backing out of playing in the 2010 World Championships for "reasons" like the "strenous" FA process or what have you.

I personally think the public and media should hold them more accountable and put them more in a negative light since they have chosen to bail on their country....unless of course it's the "in thing" to do (like in 2008, follow whatever Kobe and Lebron does). 2010's roster will likely be at the level of the 2004 Athens roster (ya the embarassment team w/the likes of A.I. and Marbury being the "leaders.") world competition has proven that if the USA doesn't send it's best team (best talent and best mix of players), that they can be beat. so this comes across as a negligent, prideless decision by these "superstars."

these guys get millions of dollars from the Americans who support their lifestyle. yet they bail on those same people when it matters most? weak.

I support guys like Kobe skipping it [he's played a RIDICULOUS amount of ball the last few years and NEEDS the rest] ... and the other players probably wanna focus on winning NBA Championships ... who the hell cares about "world championships" anyway? They'll care when it's the olympics.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:12 pm
yer thats the thing. What other countries team players, play 82 plus games in their season?
uptempo wrote:Dude, why are you so obsessed with Mullin?

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:44 pm
I say, if they are under 28 (or are not getting married during that time), then they should be held accountable. Kobe has a lot of wear and tear, so he is more understandable. LeDeuche is 25 years old, he got no excuse. But we dont need he anyways. Kevin Durant is my favorite superstar and he has what it takes to get this country another gold metal.

EDIT: to go on Rocky's post, the 2004 team was lead by Duncan and Iverson. People talk **** about AI, but he and Duncan were the only ones putting their heart into the game. That was it. There were a lot of kids in that team (class of 03 was very inexperienced) who was being coached by a older vet coach in Larry Brown. Brown clearly had no trust in anyone in that team besides AI (who he knew in the 76ers) and of course Duncan. Everyone else just sucked and didn't care. AI didnt get enough credit for the effort he put that year, which was disappointing for me when he (and duncan) weren't invited to join the 06 and 08 teams.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:01 pm
I don't want LeBron playing in the championships to be honest .. with his type of game, all it takes is one knee injury and he could be done.
All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:40 am
I read somewhere that David Lee is on the team...

If I remember correctly... This is gonna be the starting 5...

Billups
Mayo
Durant
Amare
Brook Lopez
Wish List

*New Owner and Management =D>
*Trade Monta
*Trade Maggette =D>
*Tank the season, get the top pick and draft Harrison Barnes
to be continued...

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:54 am
KC wrote:I read somewhere that David Lee is on the team...

If I remember correctly... This is gonna be the starting 5...

Billups
Mayo
Durant
Amare
Brook Lopez

well, there is no "starting 5" even made, as there is no definate as to who will be going, let alone COach K will probably begin making lineups closer to the tournament.

here is the current roster that is committed for the FIBA (assuming no one else drops):

Player Team
LaMarcus Aldridge Portland Trail Blazers
Chauncey Billups Denver Nuggets
Stephen Curry Golden State Warriors
Kevin Durant Oklahoma City Thunder
Tyreke Evans Sacramento Kings
Rudy Gay Memphis Grizzlies
Eric Gordon Los Angeles Clippers
Danny Granger Indiana Pacers
Jeff Green Oklahoma City Thunder
Andre Iguodala Philadelphia 76ers
Al Jefferson Minnesota Timberwolves
Brook Lopez New Jersey Nets
Kevin Love Minnesota Timberwolves
O. J. Mayo Memphis Grizzlies
Derrick Rose Chicago Bulls
Amar'e Stoudemire New York Knicks
Gerald Wallace Charlotte Bobcats
Russell Westbrook Oklahoma City Thunder

IMO, the starting lineup i would want for this team (and the remaining spots is the following)

Billups (Rose)
Curry ( Evans)
Durant (Granger)
Lopez (Lee)
Amare (Love)

11th and 12th man: Wallace and Westbrook (Aldridge if one of the big man already selected cannot commit)

Blacklist (i.e. dont want them in the team whatsoever): Al Jefferson, Andre Iguadala.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:18 am
I couldn't care less about the basketball world championship. Lots of great players won't be there because of the tough and long NBA season. Lots of USA players, also Gasol, maybe Dirk and Tony Parker...

It's not a real world championship if the best players aren't there.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:28 am
Steph should be the back up since he could contribute at the 1 or the 2 [especially in international play] ... his stroke is needed.
Last edited by Beast Mode on Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:02 am
ya I'd say Curry has a shot, he's a strong shooter, which there should always be a niche for vs int'l zone, and he might be able to play a little SG. probably as SG is the only way he gets on because pg has strong competition, even with Paul & D-WIll out. man, but if Robin Lopez is getting named to the team you know this roster is thin....does he even start for the Suns?

anyways, my lineup would look like this

pg Rondo / Billups (vet, leadership, outside shot)
sg T. Evans / S. Curry (passing, outside shot) / Iguodala
sf Durant / G. Wallace (perimiter D)
pf Amare / Love / D. Lee
c B Lopez / Chandler (interior D)

compared to the Redeem Team, that's quite a dropoff, but still likely enough to capture gold . I am pretty stunned that ALL 12 of the Redeem Team decided to forfeit out of the WC's.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:03 am
Yeah no one cares that much about the world championships, so I don't really care as long as they're back for the Olympics. Even still, that US world championship team looks pretty balanced.

All Star
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:06 pm
Amare won't be at THE WORLDS because the Knicks are keeping him out. Good move for all sides involved - USA doesn't need him, his body doesn't have the best rep, and the Knicks are really counting on him.

I'd rather we send Aldridge just because I like his "game". Although his "game" isn't where it should be...
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:17 pm
fine wrote:Amare won't be at THE WORLDS because the Knicks are keeping him out. Good move for all sides involved - USA doesn't need him, his body doesn't have the best rep, and the Knicks are really counting on him.

I don't know, I think they'll miss his post dominance and a 'go-to guy' in the post. no other big man on this team - Love, Odom, B Lopez? - can really be classified as "dominant."

rockyBeli wrote:anyways, my lineup would look like this

pg Rondo / Billups (vet, leadership, outside shot)
sg T. Evans / S. Curry (passing, outside shot) / Iguodala
sf Durant / G. Wallace (perimiter D)
pf Amare / Love / D. Lee
c B Lopez / Chandler (interior D)

big men dropping like flies...Lee injured, Amare out, R Lopez out (doubtful he'd make the cut anyway).

my new lineup:

pg Billups / Rondo
sg T. Evans / S Curry / Iggy
sf Durant / G Wallace
pf Odom / Love / Granger
c B Lopez / Chandler
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:23 pm
the 82 Game excuse is pretty pathetic if you ask me.

I mean Damn, How long have the Harlem Globetrotters been on the road?!?!?

& it's not like the competition overseas is anything by the NBA Standards, I'd bet my left nutsack that in a 7 game series the most pathetic team in the NBA "New Jersey Nets" would have the series wrapped up against a powerhouse such as "Spain" or "Argentina" in at most 6 games.

The reason the dream team of 1992 did so well is that squad had non-selfish players. 3 gifted passers (Stockton, Magic & Bird) some great scorers (Jordan, Mullin, Barkley & Drexler) some BEASTS down on the block (Mailman, Ewing & Robinson)

I'm quietly confident that until the NBA sends there best 12 (perhaps the closest best 12, barring injuries) then all these WC and Olympic Games will remain competitive until they pull there fingers out and have a bit of respect for there country.

So yeah if the Globetrotters can be on the road playing professional basketball for the last 30 years straight... I'm sure you could send Kobe, Lebron etc & they could coast thru to the finals & win whilst enjoying there summer!!!

But it's not like that FIBA Basketball should be any difficult for the NBA Superstars as long as they play 40 minutes of there best (Hell they wouldn't even need to train. just turn up and shoot lights out)

Return to NBA Forum