*OFFICIAL 2010 NBA Offseason Movement Thread

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:14 pm
man that's gonna be one awful contract in 2 or 3 years
uptempo wrote:Dude, why are you so obsessed with Mullin?
Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:26 am
bada wrote:
Pworld wrote:
GoldenStJayhawk wrote:Paul Pierce opts out. Leaves over $21 million on the table.

He wants the max with a no trade clause and that puts the Celts in a tough spot. They have to keep him but they're going to wish they didn't max him out in 2 years.

What a ungrateful greedy bastard.

??? For exercising an option that was put into his contract and given every right to do so? I dont get that mentality Pworld.

I mean if he was threatening to hold out or something and not honor is contract THEN I would totally understand.

Do you feel the same way about Amare? Dirk? LeBron, etc?

He already gets the max so it really amounts to just getting an extension... however CBA rules forbid a no-trade clause from being inserted into a contract, however with a new contract for someone with 8+ years and 4 with the same team, he can get a no-trade clause as part of his contract.

I really dont blame him at all. Especially when you consider the fact that the over 36 rule prohibits him from making the max once he hits 36 years old...since he is 33 (I think) they could only over him a 3 year max contract. If he waits till the contract expires, that only leaves two. This way it still pretty much works out the same but he can get a no-trade clause which I know if I were a player, I would love the ability to deny trades to somewhere I absolutely dont want to play and live. I think he has earned that right.

Still imo at 33, he doesn't deserve the max. Shiiiit Kobe didn't deserve his extension that came this season.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:54 am
Pworld wrote:
bada wrote:
Pworld wrote:
GoldenStJayhawk wrote:Paul Pierce opts out. Leaves over $21 million on the table.

He wants the max with a no trade clause and that puts the Celts in a tough spot. They have to keep him but they're going to wish they didn't max him out in 2 years.

??? For exercising an option that was put into his contract and given every right to do so? I dont get that mentality Pworld.

I mean if he was threatening to hold out or something and not honor is contract THEN I would totally understand.

He already gets the max so it really amounts to just getting an extension... however CBA rules forbid a no-trade clause from being inserted into a contract, however with a new contract for someone with 8+ years and 4 with the same team, he can get a no-trade clause as part of his contract.

I really dont blame him at all. Especially when you consider the fact that the over 36 rule prohibits him from making the max once he hits 36 years old...since he is 33 (I think) they could only over him a 3 year max contract. If he waits till the contract expires, that only leaves two. This way it still pretty much works out the same but he can get a no-trade clause which I know if I were a player, I would love the ability to deny trades to somewhere I absolutely dont want to play and live. I think he has earned that right.

Still imo at 33, he doesn't deserve the max. Shiiiit Kobe didn't deserve his extension that came this season.

That is a rediculous statement. Unless you are speaking in more a socialogical sense in that athletes should not be as high paid when teachers, etc are struggling to make ends meet..... kinda thing.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:12 pm
Paul Pierce has lost a step. To demand a 4 year, 92-96 million dollar contract would be absolutely insane. Whoever signs him to a huge dollar amount is desperate and dumb.
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:12 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Paul Pierce has lost a step. To demand a 4 year, 92-96 million dollar contract would be absolutely insane. Whoever signs him to a huge dollar amount is desperate and dumb.

Hello NYC!
Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:42 pm
bada wrote:
Pworld wrote:
bada wrote:
Pworld wrote:

That is a rediculous statement. Unless you are speaking in more a socialogical sense in that athletes should not be as high paid when teachers, etc are struggling to make ends meet..... kinda thing.

3 years for 90 mill? He ain't worth it. Especially since he is going downhill already.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:45 pm
Pworld wrote:
bada wrote:
Pworld wrote:
bada wrote:
Pworld wrote:

3 years for 90 mill? He ain't worth it. Especially since he is going downhill already.

Worth and deserve are two totally different things.

Whether he is WORTH that money at this stage of his career is certainly something you can debate... but not whether he deserved it. I think one of the top 10 players to ever play the game who delivered a championship in the first year after signing the extension is certainly deserving. If he isn't than not one player in the league is.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:06 pm
bada wrote:
Pworld wrote:
bada wrote:
Pworld wrote:
bada wrote:
Pworld wrote:

Worth and deserve are two totally different things.

Whether he is WORTH that money at this stage of his career is certainly something you can debate... but not whether he deserved it. I think one of the top 10 players to ever play the game who delivered a championship in the first year after signing the extension is certainly deserving. If he isn't than not one player in the league is.

The only way Paul Pierce is not worth a max contract is if you decide to detract from his potential value as a player due to his age. Whether you do this or not would most likely be based on how close your franchise is to winning another Championship. Paul Pierce wouldn't be worth a max contract with the Warriors, because they are going to need several years, and pieces, before they could win a Championship. A team like Boston, Cleveland, Orlando, Dallas etc. would probably be very happy to pay Paul Pierce a max contract. If Cleveland had Paul Pierce instead of say Shaq... no question Cleveland would be the current NBA Champions right now, at least in my mind. Same could be said of Orlando if Pierce was there instead of Vince Carter. If the Lakers had Pierce and Kobe... I'm not sure they would have lost a single game in the playoffs.

Paul Pierce is one of the leagues premier scorers in the regular season, in the playoffs and always in crunch time. He's also one of the leagues premier defenders. He had to consistantly defend against the toughest scores in the league throughout the playoffs and he did as good a job as anyone could every ask. His numbers, his wins and his defense certainly make him worth a max contract.

Is he deserving of a max contract... not even a question. If he isn't already, he will soon be the all time highest scorer in the Boston Celtics organization. That's huge.
* Underhanded Beans Fanclub Leader *

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:11 pm
we were talking about Kobe
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:14 pm
bada wrote:we were talking about Kobe

Then it's an even sillier argument... and I hate Kobe with a passion, but no way he isn't worth or doesn't deserve a max contract. Paul Pierce too :)
* Underhanded Beans Fanclub Leader *

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:30 pm
Chum wrote:
bada wrote:we were talking about Kobe

Then it's an even sillier argument... and I hate Kobe with a passion, but no way he isn't worth or doesn't deserve a max contract. Paul Pierce too :)

yup, which is why I said that Pworlds statement that Kobe did not deserve his contract was utterly rediculous.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:32 pm
There are reports that Richard Jefferson has opted out. He leaves $15 million behind. I can't believe there's team that will give him a max contract. Nobody is that stupid.

The Spurs get lucky and save major bucks.
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:35 pm
GoldenStJayhawk wrote:There are reports that Richard Jefferson has opted out. He leaves $15 million behind. I can't believe there's team that will give him a max contract. Nobody is that stupid.

With a pending lockout, players are going to be leaving some short term dollars on the table to cash in on longer guaranteed deals. Jefferson is leaving his 15mil on the table, but he will probably be able to get a 4 yr 32mil deal or something like that. The next salary cap may be different and middle of the road players may no longer be able to make 10+mil a year.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:42 pm
"Always" Next wrote:
GoldenStJayhawk wrote:There are reports that Richard Jefferson has opted out. He leaves $15 million behind. I can't believe there's team that will give him a max contract. Nobody is that stupid.

With a pending lockout, players are going to be leaving some short term dollars on the table to cash in on longer guaranteed deals. Jefferson is leaving his 15mil on the table, but he will probably be able to get a 4 yr 32mil deal or something like that. The next salary cap may be different and middle of the road players may no longer be able to make 10+mil a year.

thats a very good point.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:58 pm
Can anyone explain to me what the f the Wolves are doing?

They get 3 SF's on draft day, and now they have scheduled a free agent visit with Rudy Gay.

Return to NBA Forum