*OFFICIAL NBA PLAYOFFS AND PREDICTIONS THREAD*

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:49 pm
Sixers' Dalembert wins J. Walker Kennedy Citizenship Award

Posted Apr 19 2010 1:16PM

NEW YORK -- Samuel Dalembert of the Philadelphia 76ers is the 2009-10 recipient of the J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award presented annually by the Professional Basketball Writers Association. The award is named for the second commissioner of the league and honors an NBA player or coach for outstanding service and dedication to the community.

Dalembert, an eight-year NBA veteran, has worked tirelessly to provide relief to victims of a devastating earthquake in his native Haiti since Jan. 12, 2010. In addition to making a personal donation of $100,000 to UNICEF, he visited the stricken country twice and raised awareness of the need for relief.

His Samuel Dalembert Foundation, founded in 2007, teams with UNICEF, the Red Cross and Feed the Children to assist relief efforts in Haiti.

Dalembert has also been active in helping to build a training facility and a school in Haiti called the Dalembert Academy.

"What Samuel has done should be a model for all professional athletes. He saw a crying need for help and worked tirelessly to give whatever aid he could while spurring others to act and contribute as well," said Doug Smith of the Toronto Star, president of the PBWA.

The PBWA represents approximately 150 writers for newspapers, magazines and Internet services who cover the NBA on a regular basis. Members nominate players and vote for the award. The finalists this season were Dalembert, Charlie Villanueva of the Detroit Pistons, Ronny Turiaf of the Golden State Warriors and Adonal Foyle of the Orlando Magic.

Following is a list of the all-time recipients of the NBA J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award:

ALL-TIME NBA J. WALTER KENNEDY CITIZENSHIP AWARD WINNERS
Season Winner Team
1974-75 Wes Unseld Washington
1975-76 Slick Watts Seattle
1976-77 Dave Bing Washington
1977-78 Bob Lanier Detroit
1978-79 Calvin Murphy Houston
1979-80 Austin Carr Cleveland
1980-81 Mike Glenn New York
1981-82 Kent Benson Detroit
1982-83 Julius Erving Philadelphia
1983-84 Frank Layden Utah
1984-85 Dan Issel Denver
1985-86 Michael Cooper LA Lakers
1985-86 Rory Sparrow New York
1986-87 Isiah Thomas Detroit
1987-88 Alex English Denver
1988-89 Thurl Bailey Utah
1989-90 Doc Rivers Atlanta
1990-91 Kevin Johnson Phoenix
1991-92 Magic Johnson LA Lakers
1992-93 Terry Porter Portland
1993-94 Joe Dumars Detroit
1994-95 Joe O'Toole Atlanta
1995-96 Chris Dudley Portland
1996-97 P.J. Brown Miami
1997-98 Steve Smith Atlanta
1998-99 Brian Grant Portland
1999-00 Vlade Divac Sacramento
2000-01 Dikembe Mutombo Philadelphia
2001-02 Alonzo Mourning Miami
2002-03 David Robinson San Antonio
2003-04 Reggie Miller Indiana
2004-05 Eric Snow Cleveland
2005-06 Kevin Garnett Minnesota
2006-07 Steve Nash Phoenix
2007-08 Chauncey Billups Detroit
2008-09 Dikembe Mutombo Houston
2009-10 Samuel Dalembert Philadelphia

From NBA.com

LOL@ Kevin Garnett
~LilBallerx~

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:31 pm
the Lebrons are up 2-0 now
uptempo wrote:Dude, why are you so obsessed with Mullin?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:55 pm
Quazza wrote:the Lebrons are up 2-0 now

Chicago might step up in Chicago, but it wouldn't surprise me if Cavs win 4-0

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:24 pm
Utah just beat Denver in a very close game to even the series 1-1. What a showing without AK and Okur

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:03 am
migya wrote:Utah just beat Denver in a very close game to even the series 1-1. What a showing without AK and Okur

Those guys will always play hard for Jerry Sloan. If Utah wins the series, I'll definitely put it on the coaching. You also have to give Ashton Kutcher, er I mean Kyle Korver his due... he stepped it up off the bench. And Deron Williams... as much as I don't like the guy, he's one hell of a PG.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:19 am
xbay wrote:
migya wrote:Utah just beat Denver in a very close game to even the series 1-1. What a showing without AK and Okur

Those guys will always play hard for Jerry Sloan. If Utah wins the series, I'll definitely put it on the coaching. You also have to give Ashton Kutcher, er I mean Kyle Korver his due... he stepped it up off the bench. And Deron Williams... as much as I don't like the guy, he's one hell of a PG.

I've always given credit to Sloan, but the guys out there playing have to get credit. Deron was huge, so much more than Billups, as I expected for the series actually and the others stepped up. This is really a chance for guys like Matthews, Miles and Korver, as well as Millsap, who should really be the one that benefits from these injuries

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:20 am
i've been watching at least one game of everyday playoffs, and here is one quick observation.
i often read that defense wins in playoffs and that big guys are needed there. well, now i know why - refereeing is so much different in playoffs: there is grabbing, contact on every play, but there are close to zero whistles, very few and ones and hands are beating other hands so hard. basically, it's not that the defense is on display in playoffs, it's just that rugby or american football is forced in playoffs. i guess it is done to maximize intensity adn make games more close. it's definitely hard to play any offense when you are grabbed, pushed and otherwyas molested. again, it's of course natural, that there will be less fast breaks and run and gun, simply because refereeing is beyond the rules. especially can't stand watching so called defensive teams like celtics and cavs. there are tons of fouls that during regular season would be easily no-look calls. not in playoffs.
i guess it's the way for nba to make more money. let them play basketball without contact during regular season. i.e. andris biedrins foul calls. but do not let them play basketball during playoffs, let the big guy (who is heavier and most probably more muscular) show his ''basketball' skill of grabbing, pushing, shoving and molesting one.
what a gay league it is.
GROSS.
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:51 am
martin wrote:i've been watching at least one game of everyday playoffs, and here is one quick observation.
i often read that defense wins in playoffs and that big guys are needed there. well, now i know why - refereeing is so much different in playoffs: there is grabbing, contact on every play, but there are close to zero whistles, very few and ones and hands are beating other hands so hard. basically, it's not that the defense is on display in playoffs, it's just that rugby or american football is forced in playoffs. i guess it is done to maximize intensity adn make games more close. it's definitely hard to play any offense when you are grabbed, pushed and otherwyas molested. again, it's of course natural, that there will be less fast breaks and run and gun, simply because refereeing is beyond the rules. especially can't stand watching so called defensive teams like celtics and cavs. there are tons of fouls that during regular season would be easily no-look calls. not in playoffs.
i guess it's the way for nba to make more money. let them play basketball without contact during regular season. i.e. andris biedrins foul calls. but do not let them play basketball during playoffs, let the big guy (who is heavier and most probably more muscular) show his ''basketball' skill of grabbing, pushing, shoving and molesting one.
what a gay league it is.
GROSS.

Have to disagree with you here - basketball is a physical game, and contact should definitely be allowed and not seen as something bad - I'm just tired of seeing really skinny/weak guys dominate just because no one can touch them without getting called for a foul (looking at you, Durant). As NBA basketball isn't played by girls from 3rd grade, it should also be refereed as such - contact shouldn't be considered a bad thing - taking a hit and still making the shot is what makes you a great player, not whining when someone comes closer than 2 ft to you.
Watching defensive teams execute everything properly to shut down the superstars is what I admire watching most.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:30 am
Zooey wrote:
martin wrote:i've been watching at least one game of everyday playoffs, and here is one quick observation.
what a gay league it is.
GROSS.

Have to disagree with you here - basketball is a physical game, and contact should definitely be allowed and not seen as something bad - I'm just tired of seeing really skinny/weak guys dominate just because no one can touch them without getting called for a foul (looking at you, Durant). As NBA basketball isn't played by girls from 3rd grade, it should also be refereed as such - contact shouldn't be considered a bad thing - taking a hit and still making the shot is what makes you a great player, not whining when someone comes closer than 2 ft to you.
Watching defensive teams execute everything properly to shut down the superstars is what I admire watching most.

This is why you need BEEF in the paint! This is why the Warriors need a player like Cousins imho.

Hmm, I kind of agree with both Martin and Zooey here. Too many calls are not called in the playoffs, and yet it is fun to watch a physical battle play out.

Don't worry Martin, the Suns will come back from their loss to Portland and show people what a fast-paced, fast-break team can do. They play a great combo of a skill/tough game, and they force their pace on the opposing team, that's the key.

Really the Portland/Phoenix matchup is a great example of basketball contrast. The slowest team vs. the fastest team. You have to have a dominant big to make any system in the NBA work though. Fortunately for the Suns they have Amare playing for a max contract. Can you imagine that guy playing for a new contract every year :)
* Underhanded Beans Fanclub Leader *

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:38 am
Just wanted to add that I've lived in Oregon nearly as long as I've lived in the Bay Area now. The Trail Blazers are the only pro team in Oregon, and many of my friends have tried to get me to become a Blazers fan. I've actually tried to become a Blazers fan. I can't do it. The Warriors, for better or for worse, are in my blood :) This all being said...

The Blazers are so boring to watch, and the Warriors are incredibly fun to watch. Their styles are like night and day and it makes a big difference in the "fun factor" of the game.

I guess the Blazers aren't looking for any new fans, because they sure aren't making any with their slowest of slow pace. Boooooooooooooring!!!

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:21 am
i may too agree with physicallity thing, my main issue is that calls regarding contact are completely on opposite poles during regular and playoff seasons. again, in basketball i admire skill and talent. i don't really admire BULK, it's has nothing to do with basketball, since it's not a truly contact sport in a sense hockey or american football is.
plus, if you can get away with ignoring the main ''cylinder'' rule of basketball, i guess it stops being what it was and is supposed to be.
shoot, pass, dribble, jump, move your feet - yes. shove, grab, kick - no.

btw, i'm not refering to defensive schemes whatsoever, these are part of tactic. and they are fun as well.

i'm refering to meetball that is a playoff signature.

of course, the games become more interesting, because meetball allows even bad offensive teams compete since they can kick, grab, foul, and push push push, thus resulting in a hack fest meetball rather than basketball.

on another note, i liked utah-denver game (i saw only second one), but only because i admire deron williams, now that what is talent and basketball player.

from cleveland-chicago series, well, i can only say this - chicago's offense is so much nicer - involves moving and penetrating by almost anyone - than stagnant dead one man game cleveland plays. cleveland is just lucky they have lebron, mike brown is a complete douchebag regarding coaching basketball.

also i like spurs-dallas matchup. dallas too tries to play more refined and interesting basketball plus tries to run. though spurs have some nice pieces as well, but i don't see them winning series.

miami-boston game was a waste of time, useless stupid basketball by hackers, especially yours truly kevin garnett. dude is off the charts in idiocy ratings.

i can't watch phoenix-portland, because it's too late, but i prefer portland to win, just because i hate primadona stoudemire. oh, and because they are guilty of one travesty - they brought shaq to kill the classic of run and gun basketball. pretenders.

as for charlotte-orlando, both teams never inspired me. i guess their jerseys are too ugly.
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:43 am
Chum wrote:The Blazers are so boring to watch, and the Warriors are incredibly fun to watch. Their styles are like night and day and it makes a big difference in the "fun factor" of the game.

I guess the Blazers aren't looking for any new fans, because they sure aren't making any with their slowest of slow pace. Boooooooooooooring!!!

The difference also shows on each team's record, you know... :wink:

I get what you're saying, but keep in mind that there's no way the Blazers would be winning so much playing a faster tempo. It's a matter of doing what's best in order to win, and... frankly, I'm tired of our Dubs being fun to watch, but a perennial loser.
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:46 am
xbay wrote:

you really dont like D.Williams, Xbay? that kid is an absolute stud....for me, the best PG in the NBA. I would take him every day of the week over Chris Paul.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:48 am
TMC wrote:
Chum wrote:The Blazers are so boring to watch, and the Warriors are incredibly fun to watch. Their styles are like night and day and it makes a big difference in the "fun factor" of the game.

The difference also shows on each team's record, you know... :wink:

I get what you're saying, but keep in mind that there's no way the Blazers would be winning so much playing a faster tempo. It's a matter of doing what's best in order to win, and... frankly, I'm tired of our Dubs being fun to watch, but a perennial loser.

I think the Suns are a good example of what the Warriors can become. Add a dominant big man and emphasize defense a little more and the Warriors will start winning.

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:18 pm
"Always" Next wrote:
xbay wrote:

you really dont like D.Williams, Xbay? that kid is an absolute stud....for me, the best PG in the NBA. I would take him every day of the week over Chris Paul.

Yeah, I don't like him. I prefer CP3 over him.

Regarding the Blazers, I believe they play the slowest paced game in the entire NBA. Out of all the half court offenses, they have the least possessions... if I remember correctly from somewhere.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
PreviousNext

Return to NBA Forum