Grading the Mavericks

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:50 pm
Okay, so this topic has had me debating with friends lately. They overpaid, at least IMO, for Kidd. But at this point, they NEED Kidd. They traded for Marion. They're losing Bass, but possibly gaining Gortat? If that last scenario plays out, the line up could be

Gortat
Nowitzki
Marion
Howard
Kidd

I still don't think that'll win them a title, but it sure keeps them competitive. I'm still unsure whether to sit them at 3rd above Denver or below that. Where do you guys put them?
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:55 pm
the mavs are always the biggest mystery of the west. sometimes they are overachievers, and other times underachievers. So on paper, i like their team. Also, to add on to what u wrote xbay, they have jason terry at the 6th man spot. SO I would have them in the top 4 along with LA, denver, and San Antonio.

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:13 pm
I'm gonna give them a 7 (pending a 7.5 if they get Gortat) for the offseason so far. I think they got a lot better defensively and are now ready to contend for a title. I don't think they will win the title, but they will contend. Bringing back Kidd was imperative for them and they did it. Trading essentially nothing for Marion was big and signing Gortat and Ross were bigger moves than people think. You got Kidd/Howard/Marion/Dirk/Dampier starting....very good balance of both Offense and Defense in that starting lineup. Then you have Barea, Terry, and Carroll shooting off the bench with Gortat, Buckner, and Ross as defensive options. Or you can have Barea or Terry start with Kidd, sliding howard to 3, marion to 4, and dirk to 5.

The reason I can't give them an 8 is cuz they got older. Howard is the youngest of the starting lineup at 29 and he is turning 30 in April. All other starters are 31 or older. This offseason was definitely about competing for the next 2 years and no further.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:53 pm
I think it all falls down on how Josh Howard performs. This guy produces, but you notice how dangerous the Mavs were when Howard was beasting like how he did in the NBA Finals a few years ago? All the pieces are in place, it really comes down to how Josh does it.

But even then I don't think they're going to beat the Spurs or Lakers, yet alone the Celtics or Cavs.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:05 pm
Mavs are definately interesting and could be a real contender. Marion's addition could be the real difference, depends on how he performs for if he gets back to what he was in Phoenix, the Mavs could be be a top 4 team. Gordat could be the most valuable piece, as he will get every chance to start and get big minutes

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:25 am
I like this Mavs team. It has it all, actually, and should be really competitive, although I think they still lack that go-to guy, because Dirk ain't the definition of clutch, and nobody on their roster seems ready to take that role.

Still, I wouldn't put them above LA, the Spurs or Denver, and pending on the rest of the offseason, Portland can also end up rated higher (if they add Odom or Millsap and Andre Miller) and I don't think the Hornets are much worse.

E-man is right that it's a team with an extremely short window to win big, tho. Two, three years and they'll have to start rebuilding.

Return to NBA Forum