*OFFICIAL 2009 Free Agent and Trade Movement Thread*

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21200
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:58 pm
Earl Watson has been let go by the Thunder and he is a pass first PG. If Law was bought out or traded, I'd get Watson, as at least he knows how to distribute well
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3244
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:29 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:45 pm
migya wrote:Earl Watson has been let go by the Thunder and he is a pass first PG. If Law was bought out or traded, I'd get Watson, as at least he knows how to distribute well



would love to pick up someone like him. Thing is, so would a lot of teams so to get him, we'd probably have to over pay
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:00 am
Quazza wrote:
migya wrote:Earl Watson has been let go by the Thunder and he is a pass first PG. If Law was bought out or traded, I'd get Watson, as at least he knows how to distribute well



would love to pick up someone like him. Thing is, so would a lot of teams so to get him, we'd probably have to over pay


I like Watson, but my first option would be to go after Andre Miller with the full MLE. Now that guy would really be an improvement.

Watson... would be ok, but that's about it. Doesn't add anything, doesn't hurt much.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21200
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:56 pm
TMC wrote:
Quazza wrote:
migya wrote:Earl Watson has been let go by the Thunder and he is a pass first PG. If Law was bought out or traded, I'd get Watson, as at least he knows how to distribute well



would love to pick up someone like him. Thing is, so would a lot of teams so to get him, we'd probably have to over pay


I like Watson, but my first option would be to go after Andre Miller with the full MLE. Now that guy would really be an improvement.

Watson... would be ok, but that's about it. Doesn't add anything, doesn't hurt much.



I really think some team will offer AMiller more than the MLE or at least Philly will. He is worth at least 8 million a year.

Maybe Watson could be signed for 2-3 million a year. If so, I'd sign him for two years and look to trade Law for a future 1st rounder (even a probable late one) or in a package for a good player. The team can only get another PG if of the current guards leaves and if Watson does leave, I still think Law has to go, because he is paid too much to be a third string PG
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Posts: 3317
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:33 pm
Location: the STACK
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:35 pm
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:
Quazza wrote:
migya wrote:Earl Watson has been let go by the Thunder and he is a pass first PG. If Law was bought out or traded, I'd get Watson, as at least he knows how to distribute well



would love to pick up someone like him. Thing is, so would a lot of teams so to get him, we'd probably have to over pay


I like Watson, but my first option would be to go after Andre Miller with the full MLE. Now that guy would really be an improvement.

Watson... would be ok, but that's about it. Doesn't add anything, doesn't hurt much.



I really think some team will offer AMiller more than the MLE or at least Philly will. He is worth at least 8 million a year.

Maybe Watson could be signed for 2-3 million a year. If so, I'd sign him for two years and look to trade Law for a future 1st rounder (even a probable late one) or in a package for a good player. The team can only get another PG if of the current guards leaves and if Watson does leave, I still think Law has to go, because he is paid too much to be a third string PG


you do know that Law is on an expiring rookie contract right? and that he's getting paid about 2 million (that you are going to offer earl watson who would be a 3rd string PG here).
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Image

Starting Lineup
Posts: 887
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: San Jose, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:58 pm
Sorry for anyone who wanted him here, Watson to the Pacers already:


Point guard Earl Watson has agreed to sign with the Pacers once he clears waivers, a person with knowledge of the situation said Friday night. It's unknown how much the one-year deal is worth


http://www.indystar.com/article/2009071 ... ard+Watson

In some other FA news today, Marquis Daniels is headed to Boston (possibly as part of a sign-and-trade deal, perhaps involving Scalabrine (sp)). Also Sean May is likely to go to the Kings.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21200
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:51 am
E-Man wrote:
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:
Quazza wrote:
migya wrote:Earl Watson has been let go by the Thunder and he is a pass first PG. If Law was bought out or traded, I'd get Watson, as at least he knows how to distribute well



would love to pick up someone like him. Thing is, so would a lot of teams so to get him, we'd probably have to over pay


I like Watson, but my first option would be to go after Andre Miller with the full MLE. Now that guy would really be an improvement.

Watson... would be ok, but that's about it. Doesn't add anything, doesn't hurt much.



I really think some team will offer AMiller more than the MLE or at least Philly will. He is worth at least 8 million a year.

Maybe Watson could be signed for 2-3 million a year. If so, I'd sign him for two years and look to trade Law for a future 1st rounder (even a probable late one) or in a package for a good player. The team can only get another PG if of the current guards leaves and if Watson does leave, I still think Law has to go, because he is paid too much to be a third string PG


you do know that Law is on an expiring rookie contract right? and that he's getting paid about 2 million (that you are going to offer earl watson who would be a 3rd string PG here).



What I heard is Monta was goint to be the starting SG and Curry PG, so that would make Law (would have been Watson if he had been signed) the backup PG, as Watson looks like he is going to Orlando
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:47 am
migya wrote:
E-Man wrote:
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:
Quazza wrote:
migya wrote:Earl Watson has been let go by the Thunder and he is a pass first PG. If Law was bought out or traded, I'd get Watson, as at least he knows how to distribute well



would love to pick up someone like him. Thing is, so would a lot of teams so to get him, we'd probably have to over pay


I like Watson, but my first option would be to go after Andre Miller with the full MLE. Now that guy would really be an improvement.

Watson... would be ok, but that's about it. Doesn't add anything, doesn't hurt much.



I really think some team will offer AMiller more than the MLE or at least Philly will. He is worth at least 8 million a year.

Maybe Watson could be signed for 2-3 million a year. If so, I'd sign him for two years and look to trade Law for a future 1st rounder (even a probable late one) or in a package for a good player. The team can only get another PG if of the current guards leaves and if Watson does leave, I still think Law has to go, because he is paid too much to be a third string PG


you do know that Law is on an expiring rookie contract right? and that he's getting paid about 2 million (that you are going to offer earl watson who would be a 3rd string PG here).



What I heard is Monta was goint to be the starting SG and Curry PG, so that would make Law (would have been Watson if he had been signed) the backup PG, as Watson looks like he is going to Orlando


Law will be this year's Marcus Williams, a backup PG that will stay glued to the bench no matter what. He's an afterthought and was only acquired because he's an expirer.


Watson signing with Indy makes a lot of sense for both sides. The Pacers find a replacement for Jarrett Jack and a guy that fits their style and he goes to a team in which he'll be able to compete with TJ Ford for the starting spot, so a one year deal makes a lot of sense.

I'm surprised about Marquis Daniels signing with Boston. I'm not surprised about the signing itself, but doing it for spare change is weird. Daniels has had a pretty decent season, and he's going to a contender and a place in which he'll get the change to win a ring, but he's gonna earn close to the league minimum, from what I've read. Just weird, because it's not like he's made a ton of money in his career.


In other news, Chris Wilcox signs a 2 year deal with the Pistons at 3 million each. Nice signing. Wilcox is only a backup, but that's a role he can play perfectly at both PF and C, and Detroit is not overpaying. Also, the Pistons needed size badly.


Regarding free agency... I'm just surprised about the lack of action surrounding Ramon Sessions. It's not like he's gonna command a lot of dough, and he's up there with Andre Miller as one of the top PGs available. Another of those weird happenings of free agency.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3244
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:29 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:14 am
would LOVE to get sessions (though wont happen i know)

what you reckon he could command out there TMC? Full MLE?

All Star
Posts: 3317
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:33 pm
Location: the STACK
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:24 pm
i think Sessions' camp is looking at around 5-6mil a year.

Marquis Daniels going to Boston for little money was a good move on his part IMO. Championship caliber team, could step into that James Posey role that Boston was missing this past season (defense off the bench) and adds a midrange dimension off the bench with all those shooters.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Image
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 418
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:16 am
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:52 pm
I am high on Sessions and would be quite happy to have him here, but we really don't have room for him right now with four players vying for time at PG (Ellis, Curry, Law, Watson ... maybe even Marco).

In a year, when we will probably no longer have Law or Watson, and will also have a better idea of Ellis and Curry and their futures here, I would like to go after a young PG in the mold of Sessions or even better, John Wall. For now I think we need to go into this year with the goal of finding out whether we have anyone who can be a full-time PG for us.

Next year we can look at our situation again and see what needs to be done. While I'd like to get Miller or Sessions it's just unnecessary unless we dump Law, Watson, and Marco, and even then we'd still have Curry and Monta taking most of the PG minutes.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:00 pm
Quazza wrote:would LOVE to get sessions (though wont happen i know)

what you reckon he could command out there TMC? Full MLE?


E-Man's figure sounds about right.

What I'm not sure about is the length. A one year deal with a team that gives him a chance to start would allow him to test free agency once again next season... and with much more leverage if he has a good year.

On the other side, a three or four year deal would give him the financial security he still hasn't had in his NBA career.

I just don't know what they're looking for.




btw, the Cavs have signed Jamario Moon to an offer sheet that runs for the next two years. The Heat will have seven days to match, starting tomorrow. And I think he'd be a great help for the Cavs, much more than Parker or anybody else they've signed so far. Moon is really underrated. He's one of those glue guys that do all the dirty things you need to win games.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3244
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:29 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:50 pm
yeah great signing by them if Heat dont match

All Star
Posts: 3317
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:33 pm
Location: the STACK
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:39 pm
I really like Jamario Moon. If the Cavs get him, i'd say they are pretty much on their way to winning a ring this year. So far, it's looking like a Cleveland/Boston eastern conference finals.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21200
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:25 pm
TMC wrote:Regarding free agency... I'm just surprised about the lack of action surrounding Ramon Sessions. It's not like he's gonna command a lot of dough, and he's up there with Andre Miller as one of the top PGs available. Another of those weird happenings of free agency.



Money and the economic situation seems to be a huge thing right now and no owner seems to want to spend much right now. Sessions should be a starter on a team, but not sure which team would take him. Maybe New York or Washington. Got a feeling Dallas will sign him to back up Kidd for a couple of years
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
PreviousNext

Return to NBA Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron