*OFFICIAL 2009 Free Agent and Trade Movement Thread*

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:36 pm
migya wrote:
E-Man wrote:
migya wrote:Looks like Felton could be had and i've always liked him. I'd do a sign and trade of Monta for Felton and a future 1st rounder, signing Felton to about 6 million a year for five years

so then what happens to the extra 5mil left over? we cant just shed the contract that easily. a first round pick has no monetary value...i guess unless there's a TE as part of the trade? im almost sure we'd have to take on another contract at around 5mil (bell maybe?) from charlotte.

besides...i doubt charlotte would do it. larry brown likes guys that can play D....Monta, unfortunately for us, does not fit that bill.

Bobcats apparently wanted Iverson and if they don't get him, they could see Monta as a younger, cheaper version. Felton really hasn't done much in his career thus far, not as much as Monta anyway and that swap (with a short contract that makes up the other 5 million or so) would be ideal.

Not sure what a Felton/Curry backcourt would be like

I actually think it would be ok as Felton could defend the bigger guard much better than Monta
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:42 pm
Quazza wrote:
migya wrote:
E-Man wrote:
migya wrote:Looks like Felton could be had and i've always liked him. I'd do a sign and trade of Monta for Felton and a future 1st rounder, signing Felton to about 6 million a year for five years

so then what happens to the extra 5mil left over? we cant just shed the contract that easily. a first round pick has no monetary value...i guess unless there's a TE as part of the trade? im almost sure we'd have to take on another contract at around 5mil (bell maybe?) from charlotte.

besides...i doubt charlotte would do it. larry brown likes guys that can play D....Monta, unfortunately for us, does not fit that bill.

Bobcats apparently wanted Iverson and if they don't get him, they could see Monta as a younger, cheaper version. Felton really hasn't done much in his career thus far, not as much as Monta anyway and that swap (with a short contract that makes up the other 5 million or so) would be ideal.

I actually think it would be ok as Felton could defend the bigger guard much better than Monta

Felton candefend, but he is only 6' tall or so, so he can't really guard SGs. He is a very good PG and likely to just get better, so it seems and that is the reason why I'd go for him

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:29 pm
migya wrote:
E-Man wrote:
migya wrote:
E-Man wrote:

i think you're forgetting that iverson is a far better defender than monta.

Not so much anymore, as Iverson has dropped defensively the last few years

at least he's got active hands on defense and doesnt get burned by the opposing guard. that is a lot more than we can say for monta. Defense is 75-80% desire, and the rest physical ability. AI has the physical ability and his desire has gone down...monta simply doesnt have much desire to play defense.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:00 pm
E-Man wrote:
migya wrote:
E-Man wrote:
migya wrote:
E-Man wrote:

i think you're forgetting that iverson is a far better defender than monta.

Not so much anymore, as Iverson has dropped defensively the last few years

at least he's got active hands on defense and doesnt get burned by the opposing guard. that is a lot more than we can say for monta. Defense is 75-80% desire, and the rest physical ability. AI has the physical ability and his desire has gone down...monta simply doesnt have much desire to play defense.

You're totally right and it surprises me as Monta was pretty good defensively in his rookie season, from the footage of him I saw. Once he got the court time, he dropped close to all defense and decided to score, as that leads to stardom pretty quick. Without defense, Monta is expendable, so he better get going defensively soon

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:56 pm
If you were Nate Robinson, would you take that offer from Greece? It's double what he made here, and it's only for two years.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:09 pm
xbay wrote:If you were Nate Robinson, would you take that offer from Greece? It's double what he made here, and it's only for two years.

No. But I'll understand if he does. Their careers are so short that players almost has to look at money first.

I wouldn't, because being happy where you live matters a lot more than making 10 million instead of 5 (hey, it's not like he's unemployed), but I certainly can understand going for it.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:20 pm
TMC wrote:
xbay wrote:If you were Nate Robinson, would you take that offer from Greece? It's double what he made here, and it's only for two years.

No. But I'll understand if he does. Their careers are so short that players almost has to look at money first.

I wouldn't, because being happy where you live matters a lot more than making 10 million instead of 5 (hey, it's not like he's unemployed), but I certainly can understand going for it.

I wouldnt be surprised if Olympiakos also gave him an option to opt out after the first season too (as they did with Childress for this year and next). PLUS, they are going after david lee too.

BTW, where is the article of the offer to Robinson... i cant find anything on it. I just hear rambling on it.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:41 pm
TMC wrote:

That's it, I'd be happy taking a smaller amount of millons, but it still is millions, and stay in a place where it is more to my lifestyle and where I'm happier

Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:01 am
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:

That's it, I'd be happy taking a smaller amount of millons, but it still is millions, and stay in a place where it is more to my lifestyle and where I'm happier

Plus I've heard that getting paid in Europe is not quite as easy as it is in America. Especially with the NBA's guaranteed contracts. I think Jennings and Childress both have experienced this. I heard that Jennings never actually got paid although Childress is returning. They often play their players very late and try to withhold some paychecks completely having to be sued by players in some cases.
Get Money. Get Paid.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:10 am
Dr. Spaceman wrote:
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:

Plus I've heard that getting paid in Europe is not quite as easy as it is in America. Especially with the NBA's guaranteed contracts. I think Jennings and Childress both have experienced this. I heard that Jennings never actually got paid although Childress is returning. They often play their players very late and try to withhold some paychecks completely having to be sued by players in some cases.

Just because some clubs in semi-shady countries (IMO Italy and Russia are shady) in third or fourth divisions down there do this, do not make the assumption all of europe does this. Olympiakos is a World Class Organization. There is a reason why they are the biggest club in europe. The Spanish Basketball league is another very classy league (number 2 after the NBA). These teams/leagues have too much money and reputation to do anything shady, and are just like the NBA minus the bigger stadiums, fan base, and talent. But the legitimacy in much of europe is there.,
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:08 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
Dr. Spaceman wrote:
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:

Just because some clubs in semi-shady countries (IMO Italy and Russia are shady) in third or fourth divisions down there do this, do not make the assumption all of europe does this. Olympiakos is a World Class Organization. There is a reason why they are the biggest club in europe. The Spanish Basketball league is another very classy league (number 2 after the NBA). These teams/leagues have too much money and reputation to do anything shady, and are just like the NBA minus the bigger stadiums, fan base, and talent. But the legitimacy in much of europe is there.,

Yep, getting paid is never a problem for any player that signs with a top team. Any team in the euroleague has to be up to day in their payments to be able to play, for example. It's just not true.

And there are a lot of extras playing in europe, like the team looking for a house for you to stay, a car (and its driver), you only have to play one or two games per week... but still don't think that's enough to replace what you lose in lifestyle (unless you know and love the lifestyle of the place you're heading, that is) and in prestige.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:45 pm
I was not trying to insinuate that all of these clubs are shady and don't pay their players. I don't know how the contracts work there (ie guaranteed or not), but I was saying when you sign a contract in America the players are GUARANTEED to get paid. That coupled with some stories of players having to wait a long time to get paid and in some cases not getting paid at all, is enough to deter players from taking a couple extra million to go live and play in a foreign country.
Get Money. Get Paid.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:47 pm
Hmm... how do you feel if you're Trevor Ariza now that Yao Ming is out for the whole season and you signed with the Rockets for nearly the same price you would have had with the Lakers?
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:57 pm
ESPN reported:

The Miami Heat have offered Lamar Odom a 5yr/$35 million contract. They're interested in Boozer, but have yet to enter the sweepstakes. Riley is pushing to get someone to play alongside Dwyane Wade.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:48 pm
xbay wrote:ESPN reported:

The Miami Heat have offered Lamar Odom a 5yr/$35 million contract. They're interested in Boozer, but have yet to enter the sweepstakes. Riley is pushing to get someone to play alongside Dwyane Wade.

If the Heat are smart, they'll get two great players around Wade now and then the likelihood of him staying is much higher.

Odom at 7 million a year is actually reasonably cheap and if they can get him long term, they would have done very well. Getting Boozer is different, as he is no longer worth what he gets paid. If they could trade Jermaine for him (who is also an expirer) and then try to resign Boozer for no more than 10 million a year next offseason, that would be the best bet. Not sure Boozer would fit in the Heat, because that team looks built for running more than half court and Boozer is a half court guy

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Forum