Spurs acquire Richard Jefferson

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:16 am
The Milwaukee Bucks agreed to trade Richard Jefferson to the San Antonio Spurs for Bruce Bowen, Kurt Thomas and Fabricio Oberto, sources told ESPN.com's Chad Ford.

Good trade for the Spurs. They needed some wing scoring badly and Jefferson can deliver that. Losing Bowen hurts a bit but their defense can withstand that loss and Thomas and Oberto are strickly small time role players.

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:48 am
Spurs got better, the thing is Jefferson and Manu seem to play the same position though.

Don't see the bucks doing much of anything next year. Joe Alexandra will get a chance to prove himself. The most important thing though is it gives the Bucks cap space for next year.

Spurs really trying to do it next year.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:55 am
Amazing. Milwaukee has only made this move to save some money. I bet some of those players will be cut and probably be back with the Spurs by the beginning of next season (I'm thinking Bowen and maybe Thomas here).

So Milwaukee is getting rid of a financial burden for nothing, and the Spurs become a MUCH better team. Their window is closing fast due to Ginobili and Duncan getting up there in age, but Jefferson helps a lot short term.

Very good move by the Spurs, very... "conscious" (hey, I'm trying to say something nice) by the Bucks.
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:58 am
warriorsstepup wrote:Spurs got better, the thing is Jefferson and Manu seem to play the same position though.

Don't see the bucks doing much of anything next year. Joe Alexandra will get a chance to prove himself. The most important thing though is it gives the Bucks cap space for next year.

Manu is more of a SG and Jefferson will play the SF with the Spurs. This trade improves S.A. a lot in the short term. They traded some spare parts for a guy that can have some real impact.

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:21 pm
"Always" Next wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:Spurs got better, the thing is Jefferson and Manu seem to play the same position though.

Manu is more of a SG and Jefferson will play the SF with the Spurs. This trade improves S.A. a lot in the short term. They traded some spare parts for a guy that can have some real impact.

That can work Manu playing sg, Jefferson at SF, Manu coming of the bench playing heavy minutes.

I just think they had a more pressing need at Post position, a player to player next to Duncan. Other than Duncan, no other player can be mentioned that will make an impact for them. Maybe Kurt Thomas might be resigned, although he will help am not sure thats the guy. Tyler Hansbrough would be an excellent addition to the Spurs if they could some how get him.

If the Spurs can somehow resign Bowen, there defensive stopper, and add that post player, then watch out.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:44 pm
and the great get even better. Again

sigh
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:49 pm
I hate these kind of deals.

The Bucks WILL cut Bowen and probably Oberto and the Spurs will sign them straight back so effectively, they get a reliable/durable wing scoring threat for.............Kurt Thomas.

Puts them right back on the map once they re-sign both of those and if the big three can stay healthy. :roll:

Ps: When I first saw the headline, I nearly sicked up in my mouth because it was Al Jefferson for those 3! can you imagine that when they re-signed Bowen and whoever the Bucks cut? :shock:
Last edited by bigstrads on Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:49 pm
great... the spurs are getting old Quazza... jefferson isnt so young himself, and he has a big contract. A small market spurs team in the luxory cap is a risk... but yea, i think bowen is coming back
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:17 pm
Could be yet another act of genius for the spurs, AGAIN. I respect that organisation so much and they deserve success.

One thing to note is that RJefferson is more of a run and gun, open court player and the Spurs are not that at all, so will be interesting how he fits and whether he'll be happy there or not

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:03 pm
bada wrote:The Milwaukee Bucks agreed to trade Richard Jefferson to the San Antonio Spurs for Bruce Bowen, Kurt Thomas and Fabricio Oberto, sources told ESPN.com's Chad Ford.

Good trade for the Spurs. They needed some wing scoring badly and Jefferson can deliver that. Losing Bowen hurts a bit but their defense can withstand that loss and Thomas and Oberto are strickly small time role players.

i agree. but i dont think losing bowen hurts them so much since they still have Ime Udoka who is a real good on-ball defender himself. he also has a pretty good shot.

With Mason and RJ at the wings, and Manu and Udoka coming off the bench to relieve them, their wing spots are pretty deep.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:08 am
To add something else to this trade, the Bucks have already traded Oberto to the Pistons (who look like they're going to cut him) for Amir Johnson.

So Oberto could end up signing back in San Antonio in a matter of days...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:43 am
TMC wrote:To add something else to this trade, the Bucks have already traded Oberto to the Pistons (who look like they're going to cut him) for Amir Johnson.

So Oberto could end up signing back in San Antonio in a matter of days...

Then they continue getting better while giving up basically nothing. They might not get another championship again with the current roster, but they can't be blamed for not trying

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:44 pm
Good stuff for the Spurs. Adding another guy who can light it up for them is what they need. And they'll probably end up bringing back maybe two of the three back! Wow. The Spurs may be boring to watch, but they KNOW how to win. That's whats up.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

Return to NBA Forum