NBA Playoffs Discussion

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Role Player
» Mon May 04, 2009 10:17 pm
man...i really dont have time to be writing paragraphs so im gonna make this short...billups is not a top 5 pg stats or no stats...hes a good player who isnt spectacular at any aspect of the game besides free throws...his greatest strength is his leadership, and thats why he had such a large impact on the nuggets...his departure was the catalyst for the piston's crumble, but what else do you expect when you remove a vital piece of their core and replace it with wannabes like ai and stuckey?

billups is a great fit for teams like warriors and nuggets...on other teams hed just be a good veteran pg

Franchise Player
» Mon May 04, 2009 11:17 pm
Wow, Rockets steal game one in LA. This one for sure will be a very competitive series. For a minute, once I saw Yao go down, I thought it was over for the Rockets. Then, he came back somehow, and kept the Rockets ahead. I think the Lakers will take game two, but the Rockets striking first wasn't something I saw coming.

All Star
» Tue May 05, 2009 12:23 am
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

WOW!!! Rockets take the Lakers!

Suck it Laker fans.

Role Player
» Tue May 05, 2009 12:30 am
how ironic is it that the Rockets finally start gettin good in the playoffs w/o T-Mac playing and rather with Artest?

Role Player
» Tue May 05, 2009 4:57 pm
TruE SExy wrote:man...i really dont have time to be writing paragraphs so im gonna make this short...billups is not a top 5 pg stats or no stats...hes a good player who isnt spectacular at any aspect of the game besides free throws...his greatest strength is his leadership, and thats why he had such a large impact on the nuggets...his departure was the catalyst for the piston's crumble, but what else do you expect when you remove a vital piece of their core and replace it with wannabes like ai and stuckey?

billups is a great fit for teams like warriors and nuggets...on other teams hed just be a good veteran pg

Haha sorry about the long response. I just thought the way you worded it, you were REALLY downplaying the guys skills. I still think you might be under rating the guy a bit, but I'm sure there's players that you feel deserve more respect that I might call mediocre.

I guess I'm kinda man-crushing on the guy because in hindsight it looks like we should have made a move for him. I think he would be a great fit on this team as PG, leadership and COACHING are all weaknesses that the guy could help alleviate. I really wish we could have traded Baron to Detroit for Billups. Baron could opt out after the trade, which they would have wanted since the goal of trading Billups was to get Stuckey time. The Nuggets would still have AI and be a fringe playoff team while we would probably be around a 6 seed or maybe higher (Plus there's a good chance we wouldn't have Maggette or Crawford). Guess we'll have to look for an Andre Miller type this offseason or hope Monta pans out.

Oh yeah and as for the playoffs. Although it was a home game that the Lakers lost, it's hard to beat a team 5 times straight. They were bound to let one slip. I still think they'll be too much for the Rockets. I think Boston looks like they are definitely in trouble. Magic are pretty inconsistent and you can't be sure they're going to hold onto a lead until the final whistle blows (like the Dubs). I think the Cavs will take either team in 6 games at the most.

Starting Lineup
» Wed May 06, 2009 7:46 am
I take bad all the bad stuff I've said about Yao. Stepping up big time in these playoffs and proving his heart. He freaking dominated BOTH 7-footers simultaneously in that game. Made Bynum and Gasol look like little guys out there. Really is the great wall of China, he OWNED the paint.

Pau really isn't all that effective when he's not taller than everybody. Against Yao he can't just hold the ball all the way over his head and put the ball right in. There aren't any easy buckets against the Rockets, so for the Lakers to win, Ariza and Fish will need to knock down shots.

Franchise Player
» Wed May 06, 2009 2:18 pm
The problem with the Lakers is their toughness and inconsistent defense. Pau needs to toughen up and stop playing soft. I know it's Bynum that's his assignment, but Pau helps control that paint just as much as Bynum has to defensively.

This will be a true test for the Lakers, because Yao matches up well with their big men and Artest has stepped up big. And even if they do beat the Rockets, which I think they will, they'll still have to go through the Nuggets. So the road to the NBA Finals is not exactly a shoe-in.

They may have Kobe, they may have Pau, but if they don't keep up the intensity, they're going to dig themselves into a hole.

All Star
» Wed May 06, 2009 8:20 pm
Damn, rockets and lakers are playing a serious game of basketball right now.

I think both teams are shooting over 60%

I gotta say I like the way the rockets play: slow, tough, solid. none of this flimsy playground basketball a lot of teams seem to be adopting.

couple speedy point guards and the rest are big tough mofos

All Star
» Wed May 06, 2009 9:46 pm
god I HATE the Lakers and I hate Fisher.

Role Player
» Wed May 06, 2009 9:50 pm
Dr. Spaceman wrote:
TruE SExy wrote:man...i really dont have time to be writing paragraphs so im gonna make this short...billups is not a top 5 pg stats or no stats...hes a good player who isnt spectacular at any aspect of the game besides free throws...his greatest strength is his leadership, and thats why he had such a large impact on the nuggets...his departure was the catalyst for the piston's crumble, but what else do you expect when you remove a vital piece of their core and replace it with wannabes like ai and stuckey?

Haha sorry about the long response. I just thought the way you worded it, you were REALLY downplaying the guys skills. I still think you might be under rating the guy a bit, but I'm sure there's players that you feel deserve more respect that I might call mediocre.

I guess I'm kinda man-crushing on the guy because in hindsight it looks like we should have made a move for him. I think he would be a great fit on this team as PG, leadership and COACHING are all weaknesses that the guy could help alleviate. I really wish we could have traded Baron to Detroit for Billups. Baron could opt out after the trade, which they would have wanted since the goal of trading Billups was to get Stuckey time. The Nuggets would still have AI and be a fringe playoff team while we would probably be around a 6 seed or maybe higher (Plus there's a good chance we wouldn't have Maggette or Crawford). Guess we'll have to look for an Andre Miller type this offseason or hope Monta pans out.

Oh yeah and as for the playoffs. Although it was a home game that the Lakers lost, it's hard to beat a team 5 times straight. They were bound to let one slip. I still think they'll be too much for the Rockets. I think Boston looks like they are definitely in trouble. Magic are pretty inconsistent and you can't be sure they're going to hold onto a lead until the final whistle blows (like the Dubs). I think the Cavs will take either team in 6 games at the most.

oops sry for the late reply...billups is the rare guy whos stats arent that impressive (for a supposed top notch pg), but has undeniable intangibles...those intangibles are hard to measure, and thus its possible i am underrating him

but in my opinion everyone's just overrating him...skillwise he cant compete with alot of these other pgs, thats not a knock on him but rather a tribute to the special group of pg's in the nba right now

passing = the most important pg trait, which is why i'll take kidd/nash/deron/paul over him...parker's the exception simply b/c hes so good at shredding defenses...billups has good defense, but pg D is a luxury not a necessity

Role Player
» Wed May 06, 2009 11:09 pm
Those are very good points. And yes I do think many people are overrating the guy a bit based on what he has done this season with the Nuggets. However he is not the only reason they have had such a break out year. Birdman and J.R. Smith are also having career years, and Carmello Anthony will always be a top scorer. He was just the final piece.

I think more important than passing ability for a PG is the ability to slash a defense with a PG mentality. That is the mentality that you are attacking the lane to set others up. If you can get into the lane and score then a defense must respect you and rotate. If you can break down a defense like so and have good vision and a feel for where your team mates are, you don't need to pass like Magic Johnson because the other team mates will be wide open. Exceptional passing can make a good PG great, but if all you can do is pass then you'll probably ride the bench with Marcus Williams.

All Star
» Thu May 07, 2009 7:56 am
first off wrote:Damn, rockets and lakers are playing a serious game of basketball right now.

I think both teams are shooting over 60%

I gotta say I like the way the rockets play: slow, tough, solid. none of this flimsy playground basketball a lot of teams seem to be adopting.

couple speedy point guards and the rest are big tough mofos

I hate Fisher too!! what a cheap shot!! man that was a Hockey move!

great series so far. I loved Ron Artest's answers after the game. He seemed so calm and reasonable. lol

Starting Lineup
» Thu May 07, 2009 10:38 am
Well several things are clear about the series.

1. The league does not want Houston to win (only a Kobe suspension would make a difference, losing an aging eratic Fish won't change the series)
2. The Fakers will be very beatable next year with a cry baby Bynum and no LO
3. Major money (Vegas and those wiseguys) have a LJ vs Kobe matchup so it will be very interesting the foul calls in Houston ... expect to see Yao handed a lot of quick whistles to give team Kobe the home court
4. The league is the big loser in the slug fest (only salvation will be if the annointed MVP LJ can win with solid D, and have his team avoid the cheap shots) ... Just imagine explaining the NBA game to your kids, Son, I want you to be Kobe (a guy that got caught with a questionable sexual liason, a guy that intentionally hits people with his elbows at their throat and face, but seriously he is the best player in the game I want you become just like him).
5. For those fans of the cheap shots, the inevitable Denver -Fakers matchup will have plenty of elbows and plenty of trash talk

Role Player
» Thu May 07, 2009 10:43 am
Definitely a cheap shot by Fisher. And it all started because Scola was falling over and grabbed onto Odom's jersey a bit to catch his balance. If those two want to jaw it out, Sasha and Walton should be pulling their own player back, not getting in Scola's face (like either Vujacic or Walton could rumble with the big Argentine) and making it a 3 on 1.

I love Phil Jackson as a coach, and know that he questioned the Fisher call because it wasn't consistent with a hard foul the Jazz gave the Lakers (didn't see this foul). But Derek Fisher would be in jail if he did that out of the confines of a basketball court. Flagrant 2, No question and hopefully a suspension. Should have been the same with Rondo's foul on Heinrich, but I guess the NBA can't suspend one of the Celtics best players before a game 7.

All Star
» Fri May 08, 2009 4:17 pm
This had me dying. Celtics Magics, I think Rafer got mad.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3OuzKpQ3jM[/youtube]