Depth Matters

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:33 pm
G'day.

I don't post here much but I'm a pretty regular reader. I'm another dubs fan from Aussie so I take anything I can get. :)

Anyways I was just thinking how the Suns are dropping off from the playoff race this year and was wondering at the dramatic decline.

My first thought was no decent bench to spell their ageing starters. Admittedly I haven’t checked minutes.

But still Orlando, Cleveland etc are all still dominating. Are their benches so much better?

So was wondering of the top tier teams say LA, Orl, Cle, Bos what order would you rate their benches?

How important was Boston’s bench to them winning last years title?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:55 pm
Many people will likely say that the change of coach, from D'Antoni to Porter, is the major reason why the Suns are not winning as much and really, it is hard to argue with that, as Shaq has risen his game and doing more than he has for at least the last two years.

I believe, now that I've looked it up a little, that the Suns haven't come through in the clutch at the end of games as much this season, as they have lost quite a few close ones. Nash's production is the one that stands out the most as having dropped the most. They have missed Amare for the last month or so, but really, a great team can cover the loss of one star and they did that a few years ago.

As for benches of the teams you listed - I don't think any of the top teams right now, except the Lakers (and that's not saying they have a great bench, just decent one this season), really get much out of their benches. You look at the Cavs and they get most off of Lebron, MWilliams, Delonte, Ilgauskas and Varejao, also BWallace but he has been out for a month. Same thing with the Magic, they now have Pietrus on the bench and he does produce, not huge, but does, but he is really the only one off the bench that does anything for them. They are also starters relying, very much so. Celtics, same thing, though it can be said that their bench is efficient and a couple of their players have actually stepped up and produced well when called on this season, so they really do have a proven bench somewhat. Glen Davis has been quite good with Garnett injured, Powe has been very good at times as well, same with Mikki Moore since he got there and Eddie House has been pretty consistent.

I see the top teams this season as relying more on their starters and getting pretty little from their bench, moreso than in previous seasons. Teams like the Spurs and Suns always had two or three guys on their bench that come in and play well regularly, sort of like a player who starts does

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:07 am
MurinuR wrote:So was wondering of the top tier teams say LA, Orl, Cle, Bos what order would you rate their benches?

How important was Boston’s bench to them winning last years title?

Benches are not that important. Just having a couple good players to spell your starters is enough, unless injuries get in the way. Actually, I think no contender should have a rotation of more than 8, maybe 9 players. A team that plays its 12 guys rarely gets the best of them.

As for the teams you mentioned... I think the Lakers, when healthy, have the best bench. Keep in mind that Bynum would start, which means Odom would come from the bench. That alone is better than anything any other team might have on their bench. And Farmar is pretty decent as well.

Boston also has a decent bench with guys like Powe, Eddie House or Marbury (if he ever learns the f*cking system). But a step below the Lakers.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:57 pm
Are there any insider subscribers around? If so can you throw a fews crumbs to the poor?

Theres an article I'd like to catch on this very thing.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/ ... %3d4039413

Return to NBA Forum