direction you would like to see the nba go in

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:03 pm
I would like to see the nba go in a different direction than what it is right now. I would like to see a more high scoring league overall and a faster more exciting game. Defensive purists dont have a tantrum. I am not talking about chairty summer games or all star games 160 to 170 every night but at the same time 88-83 games on a daily basis is really horrible to actually enjoy. Those games turn into slow down hackfests. Basketball is a game of flow and when it is played with fastbreaks and uptempo its a beautiful thing. I blame choaches scared to life for their jobs and gm's for slowing the game down to halt. Its just awful and I really hope in the future the nba goes back to the way it was played in the 80's......exciting!!!!

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:09 pm
i agree that defensive games tend to be slower, but i totally disagree about going in a different direction and seeing higher scoring games. sure it might be more entertaining but it would take too much away from the game. defense is just as much a part of the game as offense is and IMO more important. as a coach, i get more joy out of seeing my teams play excellent defense as opposed to trying to just simply outscore the other team. like i tell the teams i coach, id rather win the game 2-0 than win 50-49 (keep in mind i coach kids with 6 minute quarters). if a team scores that much on us, then we simply didnt play defense. that's just me though...
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Rookie
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:25 am
e man I am sad to read your comments that coaches actually are so selfish they cant let the masses enjoy the game. This is entertainment you know that right? Not your personal little chess game. Thats why magic and bird and proved todays overphysical dirty hackfests are truly garbage to watch. That comment about 2-2 score makes me sad.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:31 am
The NBA has gone into a different direction. Today's players are more athletic and quick. Yesterday's players are more fundamentally sound.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:21 am
xbay wrote:The NBA has gone into a different direction. Today's players are more athletic and quick. Yesterday's players are more fundamentally sound.

Yep, I agree. And that's what has to change. You have better athletes, but poorly developed. That's the direction the league has to go now, improve the development of young players and let the game adapt itself to that new kind of players.

I actually like defensive minded teams and can't stand the high scoring ones that believe they can win just by outscoring the rival. But teams build around their D that can't score to save their life are equally bad. So, point is, you have to try to achieve some kind of balance. Develop your young players so they can adapt to different aspects of the game, something that we've lost in the last few years. Nowadays, it's easy to find guys great at specifics aspects of the game, but who are not complete players. That's what has to change.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:37 am
The players today are just too tall and quick to play fluidly on the size of a basketball court. They can pack all the guys in the middle and then close out on shooters in a milisecond.

Rookie
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:11 pm
xbay wrote:The NBA has gone into a different direction. Today's players are more athletic and quick. Yesterday's players are more fundamentally sound.

Not true from what i have seen. The players were just as athetic and quick in the 80's and 90's. I cant speak on the 70's or 60's. There is not 1 big man power forward or center was as quick olajuwon 80's and 90's and david robinson. Running and fastbreaks has always been a part of basketball, Its just a shame its been taken away by these control freak coaches.

The nba has digressed not improved.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:00 pm
fastbreak wrote:

Not true from what i have seen. The players were just as athetic and quick in the 80's and 90's. I cant speak on the 70's or 60's. There is not 1 big man power forward or center was as quick olajuwon 80's and 90's and david robinson. Running and fastbreaks has always been a part of basketball, Its just a shame its been taken away by these control freak coaches.

The nba has digressed not improved.

Uh... Dwight Howard? Chris Bosh? I could name more if you want. You're telling me those guys aren't quicker and more athletic than The Dream or David Robinson? If anything, those guys are more fundamentally sound in the post than those two.

TMC wrote:

Yep, I agree. And that's what has to change. You have better athletes, but poorly developed. That's the direction the league has to go now, improve the development of young players and let the game adapt itself to that new kind of players.

I actually like defensive minded teams and can't stand the high scoring ones that believe they can win just by outscoring the rival. But teams build around their D that can't score to save their life are equally bad. So, point is, you have to try to achieve some kind of balance. Develop your young players so they can adapt to different aspects of the game, something that we've lost in the last few years. Nowadays, it's easy to find guys great at specifics aspects of the game, but who are not complete players. That's what has to change.

4-years of college can do WONDERS for a player. Well, it doesn't apply all the time, but there are tons of players who could of used a bit more of schooling to ready themselves for the NBA. I know, there guys like LeBron, Jefferson, Howard... guys that came out of high school who just had it. It just depends on the player. Guys like Robert Swift should of went to college.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:28 pm
xbay wrote:4-years of college can do WONDERS for a player. Well, it doesn't apply all the time, but there are tons of players who could of used a bit more of schooling to ready themselves for the NBA. I know, there guys like LeBron, Jefferson, Howard... guys that came out of high school who just had it. It just depends on the player. Guys like Robert Swift should of went to college.

Eh... I don't know if I agree with that. On one side, you're right a college experience counts a lot in players development. But that's not absolutely necessary.

Just take a look at the top players of the top team in the whole NBA. The Lakers base their game on Gasol and Kobe, and they haven't played a single college game.

Guess that what I mean is that you have to develop players someway, be it via college, playing overseas, the NBDL or any other way, but young guys have to play and learn from their mistakes before they're ready to make a difference in the NBA.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:40 pm
Yeah, it all really depends on the player. I think it comes down to how much the player is willing to commit to get better and the coaching he receives.

Rookie
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:23 pm
Never in a million years is bosh or howard as quick, olajuwon is the quickest big man ever.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:35 pm
Olajuwan is the most skilled big man I have EVER seen. His footwork was flat out AMAZING!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmLR_VgbqAA[/youtube]
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:08 pm
xbay wrote:Uh... Dwight Howard? Chris Bosh? I could name more if you want. You're telling me those guys aren't quicker and more athletic than The Dream or David Robinson? If anything, those guys are more fundamentally sound in the post than those two.

No way mate, Admiral and Dream had far more skills offensively and defensively than both Bosh and Dwight have ever had will likely ever have, not close

bada wrote:Olajuwan is the most skilled big man I have EVER seen. His footwork was flat out AMAZING!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmLR_VgbqAA[/youtube]

Beautiful footage and truly pure the skills Olajuwon had. Him, Robinson and Ewing were far more skilled than any big playing today, with the exception of Duncan, who himself is greatly skilled on both ends of the court

migya make the ring fall on ya

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:19 pm
Shaq had phenomenal footwork... AND considering his frame... Impressive
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:02 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Shaq had phenomenal footwork... AND considering his frame... Impressive

agreed. Shaq does not get enough credit for having as much skill as he does. Everyone just says he uses brute strength but he is veyr skilled.

Not Olajuwan skilled but still, very skilled.

Return to NBA Forum